Holsterless carry

This is a discussion on Holsterless carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I do not know how people feel about it, but I have been doing it now for about a month and love it. I can ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Holsterless carry

Holsterless carry

I do not know how people feel about it, but I have been doing it now for about a month and love it. I can make minute adjustments without the hassle of trying to get that holster to slide also. Then there is the times you need to move your holster slightly for comfort but can not because of a stupid belt loop. Also when I am walking, I can put it on my right side, then when I drive, just move it to cross draw. Forget all the $ spent on holsters that do just one thing, hold it right where you put it and not where you need it. dangerous? I don't think so because the belt still protects the trigger. Slipping? Not for me. Just keep my belt tight. I am a plumber and carpenter so I move into a lot of positions and have no trouble with it slipping at all. maybe all this holster thing is just someones idea to make money on something not needed (Bottled water?)
    Think twice
    Buy once!

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Holsters keep the gun secure and also keep it protected from everyday wear and tear.

I've done it both ways and some designs are better at this than others.

If it works for you though, that's all that matters.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

To each there own, but I would never carry without a good holster. Not only for keeping you and the gun safe, but also your appearance. If I catch a glimpse of someone walking around carrying "gangsta" style you fit a stereotype, it may not be far but it will happen. When I carry I want to make sure I don't give off the appearance I am doing something wrong.
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

I have in the past used the "clipdraw" device. It works well for smaller, light weight guns. It's difficult and often times expensive to find a decent holster, but when you do it is a much better alternative to "holsterless" carry.

I like owb carry justhit three belt loops easy to reposition when in car i just take out of holteron belt put IWB holster tuckright next to me if stoped just throw shirt/rag overtop just my 2 cnts

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Holster is much safer. Much more risk of something catching the trigger if you are not using a good holster. I wish you well with your chosen method of carry, but fear a bad situation is just a matter of time.

Bad guys have been carrying this way for generations. Usually only good guys use holsters.

It can definitely be a useful manner of carry for many situations. If you can make it work being a tradesman, you are better at it than me!
    Go Glock - until you can afford H&K

Obviously you have not had your carry piece works itself lose and slide down your pant leg yet or bendover and the heavy (grip end) give in to the law of physics (ie gravity) and go to the deck. I wont even get into safety, personal and weapon mounted. Get a good holster and use it its worth the few compromises.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

1943 - 2009
    When you carry "Mexican" style, you will eventually lose or drop your sidearm, and probably at the most inopportune time or place.

When, not if, that happens, we'll be looking forward to reading about it here.
    mdmorgan likes this.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Senior Moderator
    and of course we've all read about the guy that shot his "manhood" off when grabbing the gun that he carried "Mexican" style....

makes me cringe when thinking about what that first look after the fact would be like....
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

kpw
    I carry a G19 most of the time. I'd have to carry it chamber empty. My life style is too active to carry that way. Good gear is just as comfortable or moreso than mexi-carry and it is a lot more secure and belt loops haven't been a hinderance in my prefered position of 3:30-4:00. If it works for you safely, great, but I don't think good holsters are a gimmick in anyway. If you like the idea of being able to move it around a bit, look into a paddle holster. Honestly, it's a matter of time before you spill it. I know that from experience from long ago.
    beararms likes this.

I think they need to make a MOC holster for plumbers,the middle of crack holster would serve2 purposes carry a firearm concealed and hide the plumbers crack from public viewing.I see a win win shituation here.Seriously there are reports of people carrying unholstered and grabbing a gun as it was slipping and shooting themselves in sensitive areas

If going without a holster is more comfortable than the holster you were using, you were using the wrong holster.

Find a good quality holster that works for you.

Joe
    beararms likes this.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Tried it a few times with my 1911. Quit after accidentally releasing the safety and not knowing it. Haven't done it since.
    Arborigine likes this.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Going from an anecdote related elsewhere, one guy accidentally exposed his concealed rig because his cover shirt somehow got lifted. Nearby woman saw his gun, but since it was a holster, assumed he must've been law enforcement because 'obviously' a BG wouldn't bother with a holster, and he heard her relay this to her companion.

The ignorance is sad, but at least it kept him from getting involved with a 'man with a gun' hysteria incident.

-JT
    beararms likes this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links