A little disappointed with my V-clips...

This is a discussion on A little disappointed with my V-clips... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I ordered a new Beltman belt with the velcro lining and a set of V-clips for my MTAC. Since I already like my MTAC and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little disappointed with my V-clips...

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar

A little disappointed with my V-clips...

I ordered a new Beltman belt with the velcro lining and a set of V-clips for my MTAC. Since I already like my MTAC and my first Beltman belt so much, I thought this would be a great combo, but I am a little disappointed in the overall result...

First, the V-clips are shaped like the old standard clips---that is to say, they are wide and three-hole, as opposed to narrow and five-hole. The width I can understand, in order to get as much contact as possible with the velcro. But being shorter, I can not sink the holster as deep into the waistband with the V-clips as I could before.

Second thing, since the V-clips go (obviously) behind the belt, I think it makes the waistline bulge more obvious---it pushes the belt out, instead of pulling in towards the waist like the standard clips do.

Finally, I find that the V-clips pull down on the waist of the pants too much. The standard clips ride the top of the belt and, since I have a good stiff belt, hold the holster and gun up pretty well. The V-clips, on the other hand, since they only attach to the inside of the belt, tend to let the holster sink, torquing the belt in towards my waist and pulling the pants material down a little bit, just enough to create a bit of bunching.

So, while I do think that the velcro setup makes the actual clips less noticeable, I think the overall effect isn't as good as the plain old standard MTAC clips.

If I get a chance, I will try to take some pictures of this for others to see, but I am curious what experience others have had with the V-clips...
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

2. Remove Ads

When I ordered the V clips, I got the narrow ones with the multiple holes - 5 I think. All works well for me.

Just curious - how much gun are you supporting with them?

Quote Originally Posted by FlyboyLDB View Post
    When I ordered the V clips, I got the narrow ones with the multiple holes - 5 I think. All works well for me.
    Huh. When did you get these? I got the fat, three-hole ones just a couple weeks ago...

Quote Originally Posted by Desk Jockey View Post
    Just curious - how much gun are you supporting with them?
    SIG P220. A fair amount of gun...
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

I use the old type v-clips. I find the holster shifts less with the v clips than the standard clips. I use them with a belt that is wider than they are, it puts pressure all the way over them and doesn't really let them show. I've found that if I tighten the belt too much it will cause it to look worse and not carry as well as the belt not being pulled quite as tight.

I have an MTAC with V-Clips (the wide, three-hole style, in case there is more than one), and a Beltman Bullhide 1.5" velcro lined belt. I carry an M&P .40c in this, and done have any of the problems you talk about. I weighed the M&P at only 2 pounds fully loaded (10+1). I don't remember if that included the holster or not.

I don't have the standard clips to compare with, nor do I have an MTAC body for my P226 to give that a try to see if the heavier weight makes a big difference. I'm slim enough that I don't see that I could hide the additional 1.2" of grip length on the P226...

Hope that helps.

Alec

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    Huh. When did you get these? I got the fat, three-hole ones just a couple weeks ago...
    I am guessing a few months back. I ordered three sets for different holsters. I even use a set for my Crossbreed. I don't know if Comp-Tac switched to the fatter ones due to an issue - but I have not had any. Maybe it was just a mix up - shoot them an email.

Also, as long as the velcro is getting a good bite on the belt side - it should hold a fair amount of weight. I am suspecting the velcro that was sewn on to the belt may not be thick enough to get that bite. Just guessing. I utilize the adhesive type that was sent with the clips and all works fine.

I just called Comp Tac and was informed that the 5 hole clips should have been standard for the last 2 months. They asked that anyone who hass received the old ones contact them and they will get you squared away! Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by pfcslr View Post
    I just called Comp Tac and was informed that the 5 hole clips should have been standard for the last 2 months. They asked that anyone who hass received the old ones contact them and they will get you squared away! Hope this helps.
    I thought this was for the Standard Clips, we're specifically talking about the V-Clips... The only info I see on Comp-TAC's site about new clips with 5 holes is the standard clips. Unfortunately, the pictures of all other clip types are sideways, and you can't see how many holes they have.

Alec

The 5 hole (long) clips are the ones that came with my MTac minotaur holster for my SIG P220R last week. I also bought a half body for my Glocks. IMO---I'm having a hard time getting this holster in any good position for me---the clips just seem too long. I think I'll look into the shorter ones you all have talked about here. I do like this holster design as it allows for the tucked in shirt. I really want to make this work better for me. I wore this holster twice, and quite frankly-I'm back to the DeSantis 'Scorpion' for my IWB carry with the Glocks while the SIG sits humbly in lock-up.

Clips

The standard clips are the only clips available with the five-hole design at this time. The C-clips are being redesigned, and will have five holes once the new design is made available. At that point, we will consider modifying the design of the V-clips as well.

The reason for having more mounting holes is to give you more cant and depth adjustment. Of course, the negative side is that the clips may be longer than you need. We decided that the gain was worth it, since you can always cut off any excess length once you have them set where you want them.
    Randy
    Production Manager
    Comp-Tac Victory Gear

Good advice. Thanks. I checked the site and yes--the option I'm looking for wasn't there. I'll probably experiment further with what I have then see if cutting off the excess will be feasible. I'm going to try and work around that if possible though. Thank you. BTW-----welcome to DC Randy!

They assured me that all of their clips are the 5 hole type, I ordered only the v-clips and wanted to be sure.

I posted too soon! After reading Randy's post again I called and changed my order to standard clips. I didn't mean to contradict the manufacturer.

Yeah, I just e-mailed Randy about this...and then saw his post.

So, Randy, the main problem is that the V-clips just flat out do not let me put the holster in the same position/geometry as I worked out with my standard clips, which is the main issue I am having. With standard 5-hole clips, I put the front clip on the very bottom hole and the back clip on the third hole, which gives me extra cant and a low riding holster, and that makes my P220 conceal nicely farther behind the hip.

Fortunately, I needed the new Beltman belt for IWB anyway, so the worst I did was buy an unnecessary velcro strip...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links