Any hip issues or lower back issues with all day carry?

This is a discussion on Any hip issues or lower back issues with all day carry? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; -springer CCO light weight -extra mag, cell phone, leatherman wave on opposite side pocket -Surefire flashlight near CCO -MTAC holster with Vclips -Beltman 1.5" belt ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any hip issues or lower back issues with all day carry?

Any hip issues or lower back issues with all day carry?

-springer CCO light weight
    -extra mag, cell phone, leatherman wave on opposite side pocket
    -Surefire flashlight near CCO
    -MTAC holster with Vclips
    -Beltman 1.5" belt

The above is typically what I carry for the last 3 months and lately I have noticed on my right side that between my vertbrae and my hip point there is a pain starting to develop. Now we just got some new furniture so that may be it but it is still there today and its slightly worse when I have the 1911 compared to the jframe.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Yep somedays things just are not fitting right and I can get a sore back. I don't think this winter has helped either.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Been toting weapons for 25 years plus at my age.........everything hurts from time to time. Let's me know I am still alive.
    I would try to find a differnent way of carrying from time to time and give one spot a rest.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

AMH
    I have a preexisting back injury and I do get sore from time to time.
    I balance the weight on my belt as best as possible and this helps.
    Carrying a weapon is supposed to be comforting, not comfortable.
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

I have a spinal cord inury everything hurts from my chest down,one thing that might help is try to balance out the weight by carrying extra mags etc on oposite side,I was a carpenter for a lot of years and balancing tools in your bag made a lot of difference on wear nd tear on your back

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    You have just pointed out another advantage of using the SmartCarry holster. No additional torque to the spine.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Senior Moderator
    I have a little back sensitivity too. Too much work on it and I feel it the next day. When I carry an all steel gun and sometimes my alloy frame Sigs, I do feel that discomfort sometimes after long periods of carry.

When that happens, I generally go to a lighter gun like a Glock or M&P. I don't think my problem comes from the gun per se, I think my back gets aggravated by something else and that makes me more sensitive to weight on my hip.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    When I carry for a long period of time say 12 hours my back can get a little tender.

I had back surgery a bit over a year ago. My bottom 3 vertibra are in a titainium cage. Most of the time my Crossbreed holster does not bother me. If I do have some discomfort I go with the Smartcarry holster.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

VIP Member
    Yup... I get a little sore too but my wife tells me if I lose my gut that my back will feel MUCH better!

I told her that it'd be awful hard to drive a spike with a tack hammer!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    And did she say that your right, but it is also just as hard to drive a tack with a sledge hammer?

One other thing I forgot mention is that I have spinal cord injury as well in the lower back (L4 - S1 if I remember right), right where my belt goes across. Somedays when I start to feel some discomfort, it is because I cinched my belt up too tight. After I loosen it, I start to feel much better.

Most people don't realize that you can dramatically impede the blood flow to your lower body and even raise your blood pressure by wearing your belt too tight. It can also cause minor swelling in the lower back which can contribute to pinching/irratating the sciatic nerve which runs down into your legs.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
    -springer CCO light weight
    -extra mag, cell phone, leatherman wave on opposite side pocket
    -Surefire flashlight near CCO
    -MTAC holster with Vclips
    -Beltman 1.5" belt

The above is typically what I carry for the last 3 months and lately I have noticed on my right side that between my vertbrae and my hip point there is a pain starting to develop. Now we just got some new furniture so that may be it but it is still there today and its slightly worse when I have the 1911 compared to the jframe.
    IMHO that's alot of stuff to be lugging around - your body is telling you so and i would address this ASAP.

Make your way to Wally World and pick up a pair of Perry Suspenders. I love 'em.
    Welcome to the Perry Suspenders eStore
    Go Glock - until you can afford H&K

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Catalina View Post
    IMHO that's alot of stuff to be lugging around - your body is telling you so and i would address this ASAP.

Make your way to Wally World and pick up a pair of Perry Suspenders. I love 'em.
    Welcome to the Perry Suspenders eStore
    Exactly what I was going to say!

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Yup... I get a little sore too but my wife tells me if I lose my gut that my back will feel MUCH better!

+ That. I can relate

I normally carried a 5" steel 1911, and 1 secondary mag and 6p light for years strongside iwb. From about 2003 to the end of '06 I used a Brommeland MaxCon V or VI.
    End of '06, my L4/L5 disc herniated, split, extruded and the pieces fell down into the canal and were putting unreal pain on my right leg. Needless to say, surgery followed. While recovering/rehabing at my house, I came to the realization that for a time, the heavy 1911 would not be my companion. When I started walking my road for long periods of time to get my wind back, I used a belly band wrapped around under my armpits and covered by a zipped hoodie. A friend lent me a g26 to give me a gun that wouldnt fatigued my back.
    Since the surgery, I have not been comfortable with a strongside iwb. I have been utilizing a Blackhawk Serpa with the paddle attatchment worn as a crossdraw, toting a g26. I've dropped 30lbs by training and eating right, and have a decent chest. So with an untucked dress or 1 size-too-large tshirt, no problem concealing. I have discovered, that despite common 'gunguru dogma' the xdraw works very well for me. Seated, especially driving, it is a much quicker holster to deploy from than ssiwb. Most importantly, it does not seem to cause any discomfort in my low back and right hip.
    Hope this helps.

Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links