Most comfortable/concealable owb?

This is a discussion on Most comfortable/concealable owb? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, I recently bought a Kahr MK9 Elite. I'm researching OWB holsters and am looking for a comfortable and concealable one. I currently have a ...

Thread: Most comfortable/concealable owb?

Most comfortable/concealable owb?

Hello, I recently bought a Kahr MK9 Elite. I'm researching OWB holsters and am looking for a comfortable and concealable one. I currently have a JIT slide from Don Hume but am not happy with it. it prints an awful lot through a T-shirt (does not hug body).

I have an MTAC IWB but feel the gun is too small for that holster.

What are your recommendations? I'm looking for one that hugs the body tightly and doesn't print too noticeably.

2. Remove Ads

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    Do you have a good belt?
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

kpw
    Most comfortable, my new Alessi CQC/S. My most concealable is my UBG Bonneville. It's also pretty comfortable. I can conceal a G19 under a t-shirt so I'd think your MK 9 would just disappear. Most pancake style holsters should hold tight against your body with a good gun belt.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    I like the bianchi carry lock

I'm researching OWB holsters and am looking for a comfortable and concealable one.
    In my opinion, the UBG Micro should be on the short list. When you first get it, it will be quite flat (in other words, it isn't pre-shaped to the curve of your body) and will require some wearing to break it in. But once you have worn it for a few weeks, I believe that you'll agree that there is almost nothing more concealable if you've decided on OWB carry. It disappears with a small gun.

I currently have a JIT slide from Don Hume but am not happy with it. it prints an awful lot through a T-shirt (does not hug body).
    I, too, have experience with the Don Hume JIT Slide. I found that, though it rode acceptably close to my body (though not as close as the UBG), it suffered from the crippling disadvantage of having no cant whatsoever! What's the point of making a thin, minimalist OWB holster but not canting the gun to pull the grip in for concealment? Couldn't figure that one out. The Hume JIT would be a great value if they could incorporate this vital feature into it.

Anyway, when ordering my Micro from UBG, I specified a lot of cant and a very high ride (the Micro is a high ride to begin with, so I'm not sure if Nate did anything special in my case or not, but at any rate it arrived exactly as I wanted it). These two attributes - agressive cant and high ride - make it a marvelous OWB holster, about as concealable as you can hope to get with this mode of carry.

I'm encouraged to see that you've chosen the little Kahr MK9 as the gun that you'll be carrying OWB. My UBG Micro was molded for an S&W J-frame, so I think my experiences with it are relevant to your situation since those two guns are pretty similar in size.

With such a small gun, you have a good chance of successfully concealing the gun OWB in daily carry, provided you have a covering garment. The good news is that the covering garment doesn't have to be very long at all; the muzzle of a J-frame in the Micro will only extend about 1" below the bottom of your belt, and I think the Kahr will be about the same.

Some people blithely talk about carrying and concealing full-size Glocks and Sigs OWB and act as though it's no big deal. Personally I don't buy this, unless they're either giants or are wearing trenchcoats or very long, sloppy-looking untucked shirts. But whatever works.

Good luck.

EDIT: I just noticed that you're from MA. Not trying to hijack, but how the heck did you manage to get your hands on a Kahr MK9? Lucky dog!

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I am from Ma and scored the MK9. Only because I'm an LEO. It's almost impossible to get a decent firearm in this state unless you're Law Enforcement or in the Military. I'll check on the micro holster, sounds good.

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
    Some people blithely talk about carrying and concealing full-size Glocks and Sigs OWB and act as though it's no big deal. Personally I don't buy this, unless they're either giants or are wearing trenchcoats or very long, sloppy-looking untucked shirts. But whatever works.
    I'm hardly a giant but I can conceal most full size pistols pretty easily with well designed holsters. They sell shirts that are designed to be untucked and you can look fairly presentable without having to wear oversize Fruit of the Loom t-shirts. Something has to be untucked to carry any size pistol OWB. An inch or so of barrel length shouldn't make too much of a difference.

Comp-Tac 2 O'clock, but IWB

I have a MK9, like the gun you mentioned, and don't really have an OWB holster for it but use an IWB holster called the Comp-Tac 2 O'clock. This is a very compact appendix carry holster, which I find works well for such a small gun as the MK9. The MK9 is so thin (0.90 inch slide thickness) that wearing it IWB with a holster of thin Kydex is quite feasible without buying a larger pants size. The belt over the gun and holster also helps keep it from tipping outward, which can be a problem in very short barrel guns. The belt loop on the 2 O'clock is offset from the gun so it doesn't add thickness.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Administrator

Ditto: ~ Buy A Good Gun Belt.
    Even the best OWB rigs will not work as well as they should unless you have a proper high quality gun belt.

The High Noon Slide Guard would be a great OWB rig for you to consider.

Check it out. Close Up Slide Guard Tan
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Personally, I don't relate OWB carry with 'concealable'. I know alot of folks do this, and I guess it could be feasible. Just never tried this myself. I generally tuck my shirts in. But---if I were to attempt it with anything, it would be my Mitch Rosen 'Upper Limit Express' holster for my G27 as it rides extra high and holds the grip fairly tight against the body. Thing is--I don't think most OWB holsters are actually designed for concealment under a t-shirt. Good luck with your search though, and remember---where there's a will, there's a way.

Administrator
    You haven't lived until you've carried OWB under a T~Shirt.

We "untucked" slobs love it.

I'm carrying that way right now.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

LOL! Hey--I have tried untucked with an IWB holster, and I may end up going that route with my P220R. I may just bust out the army surplus camo utility pants and downright get 'profiled' this summer! Just drop my ol' G27 in the side pocket and go! I have a pair of black BDU's and I might could front pocket carry in those. Who knows? Maybe this is the summer to totally change my profile for carry! I'm already thinking about a good name for a pic series-----'my redneck carry summer'. Who knows? The catalog folks might be a knockin' at the door before too long.

Links