Defensive Carry banner

Belt recommendations?

4K views 40 replies 35 participants last post by  Camjr 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I've got my new Para on the way, and my Milt Sparks VM2 will be here any day now. Since those sucked my wallet dry, I'm looking for a decent belt for a good price and preferably something I won't have to wait too long for. Sounds like Beltman is a widely used brand on the forum, but it looks like that's going to cost me close to 100 bucks, along with over a month of waiting. I'm not trying to skimp on the belt quality considering I am 2/3 of the way to a great rig already, just looking for alternatives. Any suggestions for a cheaper brand of similar quality? (maybe some that aren't each custom made). or should i just spring for the popular brand?
thanks

#2 ·
#5 ·
Check out the Beltman's double-width bullhide. Very stable, good looking belts, good price, about three weeks to delivery. I have two and love 'em.

#6 ·
+1 on the beltman. He's one of those rare people out there that under-promises and over-delivers. I have 2 of his.

#8 ·
Hate to sound like a broken record, but I think you should look at the Beltman. I have two of his belts as well. If you can't afford one - wait and save, they are worth it. Great support for any holster.

#12 ·
If you're flat broke, check out the Wilderness Instructors 5 stitch belt. I have one & it works well.

Wilderness Tactical Products, LLC

I've also heard good things about the Looper kydex reinforced belt. I've never tried one but heard they're decent.

Looper Reinforced Holster Belt

All in all, you'd probably be best served with a Belt Man. You might need to save for a while, but from what I've heard you can't go wrong. It will be my next belt, in Horsehide (thinner, stronger than cowhide). Also, you gotta think about something else...you can't get a 1911, VMII & put them on a crummy belt. :nono:

#14 ·
I posted this on another thread, it belongs here....

I went to an Amish community not far from here and found the local harness shop. These guys make everything from scratch. I took off my store bought belt and give it to the harness maker and asked can you make a good heavy belt this size? He says sure, gets out a roll of black leather. It was smooth on one side and rough on the other. Took out a tool and sliced off a 1&1/2" strip and proceded to make it in about ten minutes. He was thinning it down a bit but I asked him to leave it thick, it's 3/16"thick leather with a nice brass roller buckle. It has snaps so you can change buckle if you want, I like the brass though. Cost was $10 around ten or twelve years ago. I had it made for a work belt but it sure is a nice gun belt. It will not roll over even with my belly. If you live near any Amish I would check it out.

#15 ·
ok thanks for all the help guys, I guess a high quality beltman is the way to go. Like bluelineman said, I don't want to end up with a new 1911, a VM2, and a saggy belt because i wanted to save a few bucks. I was also considering the 5.11 that V8 suggested above, which is only 28 bucks and says it's strengthened for a sidearm. I guess i'll order the beltman though. I'll just have to go digging in the backyard and break into my armageddon money reserves :image035:

#16 ·
Belt recommendations?

Wear one. :wink:

#18 ·
+1 on Beltman. Quite possibly the best there is, at any price. Certainly the best for the money.

You'll be very satisfied.

#20 ·
Since you have a Milt Sparks Holster I would get a Milt Sparks Belt.

I know you said you are low on funds, but I wouldn't "skimp" when it comes to the Belt. It is the "foundation" of the carry system, much like the foundation of a house.

If you absolutely can't get a Milt Sparks Belt then my second choice would be a Bruce Gibson Belt. The reason I recommend him over the Belt Man is because I have not tried my Belt Man Belt with a Milt Sparks Holster. I have used my Milt Sparks Holsters with my Mitch Rosen Belt and my Bruce Gibson Belt.

The Belt Man makes a good Belt, don't get me wrong. I'm just going with what I have personally used. I do have one of his Belts, but have used it with different Holster Makers products, not Sparks.

Biker :urla9ub:

#23 ·
This is from his site. :frown:

Welcome to our Gun Belts pages! This is a work-in-progress and we've been making changes on an almost daily basis. We have also been taking a very limited number of orders so we avoid the extended wait of an overloaded backlog. Our current lead time is: Not currently accepting custom belt orders. Your satisfaction is 100% guaranteed.

BRUCE GIBSON GUNLEATHER

#22 ·
My first Beltman belt arrived yesterday (after about a 3 week wait). All I can say is WOW! I thought I had a good belt, but boy was I wrong. This new belt holds my IWB holster in place much better and makes it much more comfortable to wear. I know there are plenty of you out there saying "I told you so" and I don't disagree. I'm very pleased with the new belt and already considering a second one.

Brian

#25 ·
Blackhawk makes a pretty good belt at a decent price and currently have a 1.25 Black "lizard skin" belt on sale for $25.99
See Here (available in size 36"-42")

#26 ·
Be aware that some of these super-heavy-duty-lined-with-kydex belts will never take your shape. I was stuck with one that was nothing more than a solid loop around my waist. Terribly uncomfortable. I went back to my Sparks and Brommeland belts and there I'll stay.

#28 ·
I have two of the Wilderness Instructor's belts and they are great for 5.11 shorts and jeans. I have been looking for some new 'dress' belts and I think that after looking around, the Beltman seems to be a real deal...we'll see.

Stay armed...wear a good belt...stay safe!

#29 ·
I have my new High Noon belt on the big brown truck today! I have needed a good gun belt for a long time! I can't wait to try it out!!:danceban:
Rock Steady Belts

#32 ·
I'm thinking about a Beltman horsehide belt (normal thickness, no stiffener).

So, a general question to anyone who has one (or anyone who has a horsehide belt similar to that): do 1.5" horsehide belts eventually conform to your body? I'm leery of the "solid inflexible loop around your body" effect as described by an earlier poster.

Is tapered better in this case?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.