Two belts and an OWB that's IWB?

This is a discussion on Two belts and an OWB that's IWB? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know, right? But hear me out... I have borrowed a Kimber Ultra CDP II to shoot and, most importantly, carry for a few days ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two belts and an OWB that's IWB?

I know, right? But hear me out...

I have borrowed a Kimber Ultra CDP II to shoot and, most importantly, carry for a few days as I decide if it's the right gun for me. Now, the forum description above says something about posting if you've "discovered another perfect carry option." I'm sure I didnt discover the method I've been using, and I'm not sure if it's "perfect", but it's new to me and it's working surprisingly well.

The thing is, the person who lent me the Kimber wears it OWB in a Don Hume pancake-style holster. I'm not comfortable carrying OWB, but my IWB holster is made for a full-size 1911. So I rigged something up.

My daily carry for the last week has been the Kimber in it's OWB pancake holster on a webbed 5.11 trainer's belt at about 4 o'clock. I put this on around my shirttail, then I put on my pants over the belt. I wear a regular leather belt in the belt loops of my pants, and the 5.11 belt, that is now my "IWB belt", rides on my hips just below the leather belt that is my "OWB belt". This puts the holster and the pistol in much the same position as an IWB holster, but it doesn't put any weight on my pants or on the belt that is on my pants. This set-up is actually so surprisingly comfortable, I'm thinking of NOT getting that killer IWB concealment holster I had my eye on when I purchase my Kimber.

Here's my thinking, and yall feel free to let me have it if you think I'm carzy: One, as I already mentioned, this set-up puts absolutely no weight on my pants or my OWB belt. Two, there are no V-clips, J-hooks, or other possible give-aways hanging down over or under my OWB belt. Three, as an IDPA shooter, I can buy one IDPA-friendly OWB holster and use it as my daily CC holster by wearing it in this manner.

Questions:
    Is this common? Is this (for some yet-unseen reason) a stupid / unsafe way to carry? Am I missing something?

Thanks,

- Resurgam

I'm sure there will be some unforeseen reason brought to our attention, but I like this idea. I'd never thought of it myself. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to consider it an option. Now, I just need to find a nice comfortable, stout, web belt.

I must admit, I've worn a belt with a holster inside sweatpants before. The sweatpants don't have belt loops so this was the only way. I don't think I'd habitually wear a setup inside my pants as you decribed. Interesting concept though. This would definately be the ultimate tuckable holster with nothing showing.
    -Biker

+1 "...belt with a holster inside sweatpants"

I'm trying the set-up, right now, with a leather dress belt (the most comfortable belt I own) and a Bianchi Blackwidow with my Colt New Agent. The only position the would be "tuckable" is just behind my right hip. Even that position would require a sufficiently bloused shirt.
    The 12 o'clock position is the most comfortable for me, but there is no way for me to wear it with a tucked shirt in that position. Crossdraw is also a problem.
    Do web belts of sufficient strength come in white? I often wear a white shirt and may actually end up wearing the belt higher than my pant waist. Of course this may necessitate a white holster and gun, too.
    If nothing else, this gives me some ideas about what to look for in an IWB holster.

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    Hmmmmmm...... This is an interesting concept, to say the least. Does the holster stay where it's supposed to? How is the comfort after long periods of wear? I may have to start making a web belt and some light weight OWB holsters for IWB use......
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

As long as the belt supporting the holster is tight enough and the belt supporting the pants is also tight enough, the holster seems to stay put. Keep in mind that this observation was made with minimal wearing time and not with too much or varied motion.

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    Well go run a marathon, MAN!!! Inquiring minds want to know!

Seriously though, let us know how you think it feels and functions after a long day of use, if you get the chance.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

I've worn it to work for 5 days now, out to eat on a date with my wife, walking around in the little downtown I work in, running errands, etc.

The holster has stayed put very well, and the only thing close to a "problem" I've run into is having to adjust the waistline of my pants / "OWB belt" to ride on the gun/hoster exactly where I want it to be. I probably have to "pull up my pants" to adjust that spot about an inch or so after sitting for long periods of time at my desk or driving, etc. It doesn't out me, though, because it just looks like I'm adjusting my waistline / shirttail. I've noticed that if my "OWB belt" is tight enough, I don't have this problem.

BTW, good call on the fact that it's a tuckable carry option. I forgot to mention that I've been wearing it that way at work with a button-up shirt, bloused slightly in the back.

One thing I might look into changing in this set-up is trading out the web belt that I'm wearing for one that doesn't have a buckle on it. I rarely notice that the "IWB belt" buckle is there, but it just makes sense that a buckle-less velcro web belt might be a bit better.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    The biggest thing I would worry about is the holster and belt traveling up with the gun on a draw. I've done something like this for a rainy IDPA match, wearing rain pants with no belt loops. Of course, that was with a kydex holster and the tension screw turned down just for IDPA use, so things didn't really ride up. My OWB leather (a very nice Regulator by Nate!) grabs pretty well, and I can feel it pull on the waist of my pants when worn normally. Without belt loops to hold it down I don't think it would work the way you describe.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

It sounds like a great idea where you could use 1 holster and accomplish 3 different carry options,might also solve those bathroom situations where nobody is quite sure where to put their gun,you could leave it holstered and ready to defend even when a perp might think you are most vulnerable

I like that kinda thinkin'.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    I did my own version of this, using webbing and a plastic buckle like they use for fanny packs and the like. It works quite well, except for some occasional pinching.

I am 400# and wear the hidden belt OVER some nylon gym shorts (like basketball shorts), and UNDER my roll; the dress pants are cinched up over the large part of the gut (sorry for the graphics, but maybe another fellow on good pasture could profit from this). The problem this solves is that the around-the-hips-and-under-the-roll is a stable platform, while around-the-large-part is somewhat variable: if I sneeze I might lose my pants. While this might distract a bad guy, I don't want to drop my pistol.

Sounds great for the bib overall gang!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

This is pretty much the way the SmartCarry works.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links