Review of FIST kydex holster...

Review of FIST kydex holster...

This is a discussion on Review of FIST kydex holster... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I purchased a Fist #3 Kydex with J hook for my Kahr P9. It's an IWB. I got the extreme cant as it lays ...

Thread: Review of FIST kydex holster...

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

Thumbs down Review of FIST kydex holster...

Well I purchased a Fist #3 Kydex with J hook for my Kahr P9. It's an IWB. I got the extreme cant as it lays the grip up along my side perfectly for concealment.

The holster is a bit of a disappointment in that the fit is very poor. I haven't contacted Fist yet but I will and I'll give them an opportunity to do right by me. The holster hangs on to the trigger guard well but it's very loose around the top of the slide. It would appear that in fashioning a channel for the front sight, they inadvertently made the fit along the top of the slide too loose. It would also appear that they didn't test fit the holster to a model or that they did and shipped it anyway.

The holster is usable since the kydex is so thin, my pants and belt hold the holster tightly to the weapon but it's not the postive feel I've come to expect with kydex holsters.

After I talk to fist, (depending on their response), I might try to tighten that part of the holster up. I'm not too sure how I'd do that but I'm thinking I'd just heat up the holster a litte in that area and find something that I could slip into the holster as some sort of backing to mold the top fold a little tighter where the holster makes a corner around the top part of the slide.

Other than the fit, the holster is well made and it's super thin which mean's I can hardly tell it's there. I love the J hook as it holds the holster very securely on the draw but enables me to put it on/take it off very easy without threading my belt though anything.

I might try the same holster in leather just to see which one works best. The price is certainly right on this holster but the fit should have been better....

Have a great day!

Gideon

Wow that's a shock.

I have a FIST 17 (I think it's a 17) kydex holster and I love it. I think it's wonderful.

How strange. I hope I didn't luck out and get the only good FIST holster.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Oh, I don't think Fist is bad based on one holster. It makes me a tad leary since its the first product I've purchased from them, but I know you can get a bad anything, no matter how good a company is. I'll give them a chance to satisfy their customer before I make any real judgements, but I was surprised that quality control passed my particular holster.

Gideon

Senior Moderator
    Gideon,
    They'll make it right. I've done business with Fist for years and have a bunch of their holsters; leather and Kydex, IWB and OWB. Seems like I did have one that I had to send back and they readily replaced it.

I have noticed the poor fit in many brands of Kydex holsters. I think the challenge they face in making a Kydex holster is if they get it "snug" like a leather holster, some guns may not fit. Leather can be made tight and stretched to fit.

And it seems that some holsters of each manufacturer seem to work better for some gun models than others - maybe a better sized mold plug or something.

I kinda feel as Euc put it, "...and I love it. I think it's wonderful." except mine would have to say them instead of it.

Gideon,
    I have the same problem with the K1 and my 92F. My Glock works fine in the K1. Go figure.

I'm really not impressed with my FIST K8 for my RAMI. The kydex is thin to a point where I really think it might tear or break and the fit is pretty loose. Both belt clips I've had stuck out to a point where it really printed.

I'm way happier with my Comp-Tac C.T.A.C.s for my other CCW guns. Solid feel, tight fit, adjustable.

Mark,
    the only problem I've had with the kydex is the J-hook, every so often it gets caught on things and breaks.

Links