What constitutes a "good" belt?

This is a discussion on What constitutes a "good" belt? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After reading some messages on "good" belts, I am curious as to what makes a good belt. I am currently wearing a heavy leather belt ...

After reading some messages on "good" belts, I am curious as to what makes a good belt.

I am currently wearing a heavy leather belt that is 1 3/4 inches wide by approximately 3/16 inch thick, and am now wondering if I maybe I could be better suited with something else.

Read this
    Rock Steady Belts
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

AMH
    At least 1.25" wide.
    Strong, sturdy, stiff, solid stitching, tapered, and contoured.
    Plenty of notches available for adjustment.

Guess where my belt is from?
    The GAP, yep that’s right – the GAP, the same place all those pesky teenagers hangout. It cost about 20 bucks. It is also very stylish and of very high quality. I have been using it for nearly 5 years and it is still in excellent condition. It supports and balances the weight very well. The stitching is rock solid. The metal in the buckle is solid, not soft and not brittle. It does contour, but not taper, but it is perfect none the less.

But if you do want a belt designed specifically for guns then do check out Galco. They have belts for about 30 bucks a pop.

Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters

also check out the Belt Man and Crossbreed
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

Quality leather, and craftsmanship. A good belt must hold a holster in place day after day. It should be stiff enough - that comes from good belt makers, not from Walmart, K-Mart, Sears, or any other retail store for the most part.

I have not seen a good belt in any store. I now have 2 belts from TheBeltMan, both in different colors. I have not thrown away my other belts, but I have not worn any other belt in well over 2 years now.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Most important: The belt and holster must fit each other (loops and belt width).
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

AND not only must the holster and belt fit one another, but the belt must fit the belt loops on the pants. If these three items don't fit properly, you will have unwanted movement.

True, forgot that step. Nice to see you again DNS!

Howdy!
    I figured you meant to include the belt loops, but your thoughts got unholstered somewhere in your draw, er, writing.

It really seems straight forward, but folks often overlook all the components to physical carrying of a gun, the three noted and then the fact that the gun has to fit the holster as well, which is often a given. You don't (or maybe should not) carry a gun in a holster that isn't made for it because it will wiggle around. The same goes for the other aspects as well. It only took me about 3 years of daily carry to figure out this stuff.

A few years back, Gun tests did a review of holsters that was really funny in an a lack of observation sort of way. They talked about how one holster allowed for too much movement and they deemed it unworthy compared to the other holster. Interestingly, the unworthy holster was obviously slotted for a very different size of belt, something they completely overlooked. What made it funny was how apparent the mistake was in the pictures they provided.

Fit, support and durability. It's also a bonus if the belt doesn't scream "gun."

I've got a Kramer Leather belt, and it is superb. Trouble is, I have ... uh, shall we say, a bit of a paunch. That belt is so stiff that it doesn't allow even the least leeway. It's darned uncomfortable simply due to that.

But I've got a couple of BeltMan holsters that are a tad softer with a taper, and they're as comfortable as any dress belt I've ever had.

All three are well-made, fit very well (except for the stiffness of the Kramer due to my shape), have plenty of support for the gun/holster and are built to last. I'm all for a belt with these features that costs less, but I have yet to find one. Until then, these work well.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

For those with a "little extra" up front, many beltmakers will taper the ends of the belt (1.5" tapered to 1.25). This also gives the belt a little dressier appearance. Usually you only have to ask.

Links