Why do people bash cheapos?

This is a discussion on Why do people bash cheapos? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've never really felt that the UMs, Fobus, etc. were junk, just that they weren't a good fit. If they do the job for you, ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why do people bash cheapos?

I've never really felt that the UMs, Fobus, etc. were junk, just that they weren't a good fit. If they do the job for you, then there's nothing wrong with that. But even though it may work for you, if you're wearing a pistol for 8-16 hours a day, it's pretty difficult to judge why some of us prefer a well made, good fitting holster to the "one-size-fits-most" holsters until you've worn a custom holster and seen and felt the difference. The way I look at it is if I'm willing to spend $500-$1000 for a pistol, why would I not be willing to spend $80-$100 for a well made holster to carry it in and keep it safe while at the same time being comfortable for me to wear. I really don't get into the "my stuff's better than your stuff" mind set. I've been poor and I remember what it's like and I'm a long way from rich now -- just comfortable. I don't buy anything to try and make someone else feel inferior. When I post pictures of something new I've gotten, it's not to show off. I just get excited about it and want to share that excitement with others. Guess that's still the kid in me. If the UM holster works for you and it's comfortable for you, don't worry about someone else's opinion. You're opinion is the only one that counts for you.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

2. Remove Ads

I have a leather ambidextrous slide that has a clip or belt loops can be worn either IWB or OWB,left or right side,It will fit any pistol i own,and only cost $20.00.I also have a crossbreed dedicated to 1911 45's.I use my cheapo a lot

Administrator
    I guess you could call me a Unc Mikes and a Fobus basher.

I'm guilty as charged.
    Way back I bought and tried examples of both and promptly filed them into the cylindrical file...more commonly known as the trash can.

I especially despise Unc Mikes Of Oregon holsters.
    I think they are just slightly worse than awful for daily carry but, people DO buy them.

So my personal opinion is only my own and I don't ever force it on anybody.

BTW I am only coming down on their OWB holsters since I know nothing about Mikes IWB.

I guess their OWB are OK for range use but, not the best choice for good concealed carry at all...for me.

I (for sure) am NOT anti-Kydex or anti-Carbon Fiber.

Of course I will always prefer that my personal daily carry rigs be leather - for my own good reasons that I'll not inflict on anybody at this time.

I have an affinity for high quality properly designed and constructed gunleather.

I DO think that there are far better - and still fairly inexpensive - better designed synthetic holsters out there for sale - for not much more money than either Fobus or Unc Mikes.

A BlackHawk non-Serpa or a G-Code come to mind both of which will pull in closer to the body than either Mikes or Fobus and for not much more money.

Hey...you know - buy what you can afford.
    As long as as you can make it work for you...that works for me.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Holsters that I own:

I am glad i am not one of those holster snobs and that I do not like pretty grips

Regards,

Richard

Whatever works for YOU, as said before is what I say. But once you've had a really nice handmade holster, it's hard to buy a "cheapo". It really is a world of difference. If you're in a pinch for $$$, nothing wrong with one.

When I got my permit, I went to the DMV to get the plastic card, then to Sportsman's Warehouse for an UM pocket holster. Within ten minutes, I was carrying a S&W640 in Walmart. Still have the cheapo, but I will admit to having a leather fetish. Found a maker I like, and will probably spend near to a grand on gear this year. You really do get what you pay for.

Tom

i have cheapos and good holsters too , i will admit i like the good ones the best , and the gun is more secure and safe in the form fit leather holster .....

Have you trained with the nylon holsters? Draw while moving off line, take your shots, scan for additional threats, reload, reholster while keeping your eyes on the threat? Repeat!

If your holster does not work for it's intended purpose, invest in one that does. I buy nylon holsters for protecting my firearm when I MUST leave in in the truck storage compartment, only.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    As we should be aware, and can see in every day life---some want to make everything a contest---the 'I'm better than you'---'I've got better stuff than you', 'I wouldn't own that even if I wanted to', etc-----see--those types of insecure people (cheapo bashers) must stand up among their fellow insecure peers and go with the flow in the pack mentality they are accustomed to. Everything has a place, and there is a place for everything. Those who would deny such shall be termed as closed-minded individuals even when the pack dictates there be no individuality.
    Well said

I like leather. My holster is a Galco Royal Guard, I know there are better holsters out there but this one works for me and it has for the last 12 years. I have replaced snaps but it still is functional and tight. I don't have a box of holsters. I have never tried Kydex or Nylon holsters, just don't like the looks or feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    As we should be aware, and can see in every day life---some want to make everything a contest---the 'I'm better than you'---'I've got better stuff than you', 'I wouldn't own that even if I wanted to', etc-----see--those types of insecure people (cheapo bashers) must stand up among their fellow insecure peers and go with the flow in the pack mentality they are accustomed to. Everything has a place, and there is a place for everything. Those who would deny such shall be termed as closed-minded individuals even when the pack dictates there be no individuality.
    I'm gonna disagree with you a bit there, RR. I have owned cheapos- until I could afford better. Bottom line, and it can't be argued, is this: providing you buy from a reputable maker, a more expensive holster will 1) not shift, requiring you to grope it back in place frequently(seen it), 2) hold your weapon securely so that when you are running away from trouble you don't drop your pistol and kick it 30 yards down the street ahead of you (seen it), 3) retain your weapon more securely so that the guy thumping on you can't readily snatch it out of your waistband and finish you off with it (been given 2 first hand accounts).

Now, are you "Joe Suburb" living in a neighborhood with a grand total of 2 lawnmowers stolen from garages in the past year, and that was the height of the year's "crime wave"? If so, a pistol pocket is probably fine for you. If you think you might actually need what you carry, spend decent money. I'm not a fan of $150+ holsters, but $55-100 is a reasonable investment.

I started off with uncle mikes - just didn't keep my gun in one place. Then I found custom makers - and I was hooked. Its a personal choice.

The bitterness of poor quality remains well after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. The decision to carry a handgun is, to me, a far too serious activity to rely on ANY piece of equipment that isn't the BEST AVAILABLE. Scrimp on the budget somewhere else; cancel your premium cable subscription, do without a steak dinner or two, drive a "previously owned" pickup truck, shave your head to save on trips to the barber (or stylist)...but if you're gonna' pack a handgun - do it with a top-drawer holster & dedicated gunbelt. Your LIFE may very well depend on it.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Senior Moderator
    Well I now buy inexspensive holsters but I wouldn't call them cheap.

Any holster that stays in the place I put it and secures my pistol is a success for me.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    It's quite simply personal choice. The quality of equipment you choose is not directly proportional to the quality of shooter or person you are.

For me it's just having experienced "quality" I no longer have a taste for "inexpensive".
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links