Why do people bash cheapos?

This is a discussion on Why do people bash cheapos? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Thumper It's quite simply personal choice. The quality of equipment you choose is not directly proportional to the quality of shooter or ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why do people bash cheapos?

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    It's quite simply personal choice. The quality of equipment you choose is not directly proportional to the quality of shooter or person you are.
    I absolutely agree, but it is directly proportional to your ability to successfully accomplish the unfortunate task that our equipment may be asked to perform.

It's like skydiving with a bargain parachute. Yep, no doubt you'll get to the ground. But once you leave the plane, it's a little late to wish you had spent the bucks for the good stuff.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

2. Remove Ads

Well Cheapo holsters will serve the purpose at hand but a 1970 Ford Pinto will get you from A to B just as well as a 2008 Corvette. Which would you rather drive? Most people using cheapo holster have just never experienced using quality leather so they naturally defend their purchase. Buying a holster is just as important as selecting the handgun. People tend to research the handgun part but fail to even think about quality leather/kydex.

Quote Originally Posted by orangehole View Post
    Well Cheapo holsters will serve the purpose at hand but a 1970 Ford Pinto will get you from A to B just as well as a 2008 Corvette. Which would you rather drive? Most people using cheapo holster have just never experienced using quality leather so they naturally defend their purchase. Buying a holster is just as important as selecting the handgun. People tend to research the handgun part but fail to even think about quality leather/kydex.
    Can't really disagree with you but I do feel that I have several good holsters for $100 or less and that I didn't have to wait forever to get. I can afford top of the line holsters but I'm just unwilling to que up and wait 12-18 months for a craftsman to produce a work of art for me.

My Uncle Mikes with G19 out in the shop-

My DeSantis Scorpion with G19 as well---my most used IWB holster--it's a cheapo too, at $25!

VIP Member
    A have a Fobus holster and some assorted Uncle Mike's holsters, but they're only for occasional range wear or they came with the gun. So I can't see myself spending the money on a more expensive holster that I'll never use much. I wear a band of elastic that I replace every year for $20.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I carry with an uncle mikes IWB,and uncle mikes pocket holster,...they do the job ,very well for me! I've done plenty of practice draws, my chief complaint is that in SOME pants the pocket holster doesn't do what its supposed to, but I blame the pants pocket design,...

I do plan, however, on investing more into 'carry clothes' and better holsters

Quote Originally Posted by richardoldfield View Post
    Holsters that I own:

I am glad i am not one of those holster snobs and that I do not like pretty grips

Regards,

Richard
    Sorry to interupt this thread but this holster is beautiful! Couldn't read the label. Can you tell me who makes them? Thanks in advance.
    SA EMP ~ Sig P232s ~ Walther PP ~ Makarov ~ S&W 442 ~ Ruger LCP
    HK USP Compact ~ HK P2000sk ~ RIA Tactical ~ FN Hi-Power ~ Sig GSR C3

Administrator
    An operator is only as good as his equipment allows him to be, and more importantly, his equipment is only as good as he is.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    An operator is only as good as his equipment allows him to be, and more importantly, his equipment is only as good as he is.

Agree with this. A few years ago, I bought what I thought was a good belt for carrying (cheap). After using it for about a month, it shreded into 2 pieces. Glued together junk. Went wih The Beltman and Milt Sparks for everything. I still do use a few Galco Holsters for woods carry and mountain biking since they have thumb breaks and they fit the guns I use for the activity.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I've worn high-end and low-end and for my money the low-end stuff is great for one thing:to get you through until your high end stuff is finished.

Actually, the best IWB holster on the market IMO is reasonable and you get it in about a week:

Comp-Tac MTAC

Man, is this thing comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by TwinCarry View Post
    Sorry to interupt this thread but this holster is beautiful! Couldn't read the label. Can you tell me who makes them? Thanks in advance.
    That looks like a K.L. Null Holsters IWB unit, with extra sweat guard. Richard would know for certain, of course, but check: K.L. Null Holsters.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Just to throw in some food for thought. Suppose you get in a scuffle, will your cheap holster hold the gun secure?
    I guess I am bashing the Uncle Mikes because I have experience with them and I know how much better and more comfortable a hand boned holster is. Now I just wouldn't settle for less. I understand if someone doesn't have the funds to buy a better holster and they have to make due. But from my experience there just is no comparison.

Caveat 1: I'm speaking of IWB's here, OWB's will never conceal that well.
    Caveat 2: This is platform influenced too-lighter and smaller firearms will be much more forgiving here than heavier ones such as the 1911 series.

As already stated:

1. Your firearm will not be as secure.
    2. Your firearm will likely print; just about everyone I've ever seen grossly printing is likely to not be using a quality holster/belt. This point cannot be stated enough-from someone who has the proverbial "drawer full-o-holsters" and has been CCWing for years now, cheapo holsters will print with "concealable" firearms much more often than not, and a quality holster/belt can conceal even a thicker firearm quite well (clothing/person/position dependant of course).
    3. Your cheapo holster may even break just walking around due to less than substantial conponents-can you think of what your face will look like when your 1911 falls though your jeans and onto the floor of your local Home Depot in front of 30 people? (Or worse.) I have heard of similar instances occurring-even negligent discharges as a result (with obviously non-FPS equipped firearms).
    4. The cheapo simply won't be remotely as comfortable as a quality one. Heavy platforms like the 1911 are extremely unforgiving here; I carry both HK's and 1911's in quality holsters and I can wear them all day long in relative comfort. Swap holsters for cheapos and give me a poor belt, and I'm wanting them off ASAP.
    5. A quality belt is just about as important as the holster (designs like the Wilderness Instructor or Frequent Traveler work well here however and don't have to be very expensive).

YMMV of course, and there's always exceptions, particularly some of the newer cordura nylon ones that mimic good leather designs. But in general, I've been there done that like others here, and I have spent plenty of money getting to where I am today: a new firearm gets $100+- added to the budgeted price for a quality holster if it's meant to be carried. It's simply the only way to go for me.

I don't know if anyone bashes cheap holsters, but generally you do get what you pay for here, however it may work. I'd also add however that I'd never knew just how much better a quality holster/belt can make things until I did it.

C-

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    I carry OWB fobus no nocking here. Some say that they could take it from me because it's a cheap holster. Well lets see ya all you'll get is two black eye's and taught a lesson. And yes I have seen that youtube B.S. video and I see plenty of things you could do to take back control of the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Crucible View Post
    Caveat 1: I'm speaking of IWB's here, OWB's will never conceal that well.

C-
    Do it every day! Never been spotted. It's all in the cover and placement. I've even carried a Glock 22 under a t-shirt no one ever knew.

Yes.

What he said.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links