Why do people bash cheapos?

This is a discussion on Why do people bash cheapos? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I also agree with all that has been stated. I have seen first hand holsters such as UM nylon that have simply fallen apart after ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why do people bash cheapos?

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I also agree with all that has been stated. I have seen first hand holsters such as UM nylon that have simply fallen apart after a few years. That nylon dust that is produced during this holster degredation also fouls up your gun. Ask me how I know (wasnt my gun though!)

A very very high quality holster can be purchased for around $75. That just isnt in the ball park of "expensive". Most pairs of cheap shoes or boots cost more than that. Your holster not only needs to function well for YOU in time of need, but it also needs to protect your "expensive" gun that cost many times more than the holster.

And one final thought, when carrying IWB, if in the event you ever have to draw your weapon, you need to consider that you will also (hopefully) need to REHOLSTER that same weapon. With a cheapo, limp nylon IWB holster, you will need to nearly drop your drawers to get it back in.

2. Remove Ads

TwinCarry, the holster is a Vern Humphrey design that Ken L. Null put together for me. The Vern Humphrey and Ken's UNS holster will both allow you to carry a large pistol under a T-Shirt. Regards, Richard

Last edited by richardoldfield; March 18th, 2008 at 05:20 AM.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    I also agree with all that has been stated. I have seen first hand holsters such as UM nylon that have simply fallen apart after a few years. That nylon dust that is produced during this holster degredation also fouls up your gun. Ask me how I know (wasnt my gun though!)

A very very high quality holster can be purchased for around $75. That just isnt in the ball park of "expensive". Most pairs of cheap shoes or boots cost more than that. Your holster not only needs to function well for YOU in time of need, but it also needs to protect your "expensive" gun that cost many times more than the holster.

And one final thought, when carrying IWB, if in the event you ever have to draw your weapon, you need to consider that you will also (hopefully) need to REHOLSTER that same weapon. With a cheapo, limp nylon IWB holster, you will need to nearly drop your drawers to get it back in.
    Very well put. I've never spent over $75.00 on a holster and the ones I have are custom leather that will last many years. I used an Uncle Mikes IWB for my 642 for about 4 months while waiting on a good leather holster. By the time my leather got here my Uncle Mikes was fraid and the clip was loose. I wish I had kept it just to take a picture of it, but seriously, I hated it so much, the first thing I did was draw from my Tucker holster and shot holes in my Uncle Mikes...

I have to chime in, having just upgraded from an Uncle Mikes IWB to a UBG Striker. I got the Mikes and what others have said is true. It printed like nobodies business, shifted a lot, and it didn't take me long to figure out that it just wouldn't do...

The cheap plastic clip made up my mind the first time I drew and aimed and the holster was still on the end of my gun. I prefer that any BG's not die from laughter, so I decided I had to get something good.

The UBG, on the other hand, hides my 1911 very well, and may as well be bolted to my bones, it's so rock solid. I wondered if it was all pomp and circumstance when it came to good leather, but I'm a true believer now.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Hey, what the heck, im using a Passport OWB Pancake I picked up for 18 bucks. I have found that it conceals really well with a longer shirt when wearing it inside the belt, outside the pants. The 3 straps are elastic, and too loose to wear outside on the belt, as it lets the holster sag. Anyway, it works good inside the belt, and will have to do for me for now, To me, $75 or more just isnt in the picture right now.

Anyway, Thats about the only way id wear a cheapie. At least it secures well on the belt in one way or another, cant be snatched easily, allows a quick draw, and wont fall out. My wife bought a uncle micks IWB cheapie, and I wont even consider it for an option to carry for me.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I despise cheap holsters . With that being said the holster i carry most is an affordable don hume clip on iwb . To me cheap isnt a function of money spent tho i have spent plenty on a holster from time to time and been real pleased with them . Cheap is when a holster does not function properly for me . The only nylon holster(s) i own are for field use , not ccw tho i have carried nylon duty gear and loved it . I still have not got over the first ( packaged ) plastic holster i owned ( for an early glock 17) enough to really give kydex a chance tho lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I have two "cheap" holsters, one is a Fobus paddle for a 1911, the other is a generic Uncle Mikes nylon IWB.

The only thing the Fobus is good for is the range. It does hold the gun securely but it doesn't hold the gun in close, so printing would be an issue, it also tends to shift around unless I over-cinch my belt.

The Uncle Mikes actually is ok for what it is. It was used with a snubbie and with held the gun in fairly close, didn't shift on it's own and didn't have printing problems, nor did I have to "drop my pants" to re-holster* with it.
    The draw back to me was I just didn't find it that comfortable. I still use it, but now it's for when I want to just throw my snubbie in a jacket pocket.

*By the way, for me the whole re-holstering issue, well it's not an issue.
    I'm not a LEO, I'm not going to cuff a perp. If I draw I'll more then likely be shooting til the threat is stopped. Once stopped, I can use two hands to re-holster.

If the gremlin runs, the threat is still stopped, and again I could use two hands to re-holster.

If the gremlin surrenders, they'll be laying face down with their hands behind their back or spread eagle, AT GUN POINT. The police will be notified via cell phone that I'm the good guy and I'll either re-holster or temporarily surrender my weapon to them when they arrive (at their direction)

If I happen to end up on the short end of the stick, well then re-holstering won't be an issue for sure!

If an el-cheapo holster works for you, then there's nothing wrong with it. No it won't last a lifetime, but they aren't intended to.

As I said, neither of my cheapo holsters worked for me, I now use either an Galco Concealable OWB (I only paid $25 for it, so does it count as a cheapo?) or a K&D Dakota Defender for my .45 and a UBG Canute for my snubbie (and will probably order a UBG OWB for it as well).
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Quote Originally Posted by f8lranger4x4 View Post
    Well lets see ya all you'll get is two black eye's and taught a lesson. And yes I have seen that youtube B.S. video and I see plenty of things you could do to take back control of the situation.
    Pleased to hear of your confidence. I'm not sure which particular vid you're referring to, but the one I have seen was a demo by (IIRC) two Nevada LE trainers; hardly fish out of water.

First rule of combat: there is always someone stronger, faster & harder.

I don't mind the cheapo holsters. A uncle mikes nylon $10.00 cheapy houses my Glock 21 and I use it for a IWB/SOB holster. Works great !
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I would not use a nylon holster, but as I have said I like the Fobus, and have had a lot of experience with one for probably 10 years on the range and CC.

As to the video, I suspect the one referred to is where a guy runs up and breaks off the Fobus.
    I wonder who is dumb enough to carry open and let someone run up to you and grab your gun and holster. If fact I think that would be stupid.

But if one carries concealed how would anyone know you had it? I have asked a friend to jerk my holster off, and he did not succeed in a couple of tries without me fighting him. The holster just did not break. It would break in time but a quick jerk does not break it, or at least not mine.

It reminds me of a guy selling the pager pal and saying he could run up and hold your shirttail down and you could not get your gun while the pager pal would not suffer the same problem. How would he even know I had a gun under my shirt? And what does he think I would be doing while he ran up and grabbed my shirt?

Comp-Tac makes an excellent holster that is inexpensive compared to leather. If one wants a paddle it is a good one.
    For me, the Fobus holds the gun close and does not print. The Comp-Tac, while a much better holster, does not hold the gun closer to the body than the Fobus.

Anyway to each his own. If a cheapo does the job for you have at it.

Regards,
    Jerry

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob72
    First rule of combat: there is always someone stronger, faster & harder.

This is true. That's where training plays a big role. If you let some one get that close to your weapon you have bigger issues.
    Last edited by JD; March 22nd, 2008 at 02:42 PM.

Reholstering IS a big issue if you train realistically from holster regularly (as everyone carrying should be doing). Try to do a Gunsite 250 course with an Uncle Mikes. You won't last through the first drill.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by f8lranger4x4 View Post
    This is true. That's where training plays a big role. If you let some one get that close to your weapon you have bigger issues.
    I'm not looking to start an argument, but that was my point- if one is trained, why would one consciously choose a holster that won't retain the weapon if one is in the process of fending off a butt-kicking?

I've worked corrections and EMS; I'm well aware of personal space. Equally, I realize that space won't always be something we have choice in choosing. Non-credentialled, I have more options of avoidence, but, "life happens"...

Training does not only go on in the classroom, it should be a continual QA/QI process of methods, options and assets. This gets into the LCD equation: are we content with the Lowest Common Denominator? To each his/her own, I'm not looking to convert folks.

Sixto said it much more succintly, earlier.

I bought a cheap Fobus OWB holster for range use mostly.

I also have a Don Hume 715 IWB clip-on that I just received today. So far I love it and it conceals very well.

Each of these were about $25.

I may buy more expensive holsters in the future but for now these work well for me.

Every holster has its place. It just depends on what you need it to do. When we design, the first question is, what does the holster have to do, what job does it need to do. The question is not what price range are we going to design for? Less expensive holsters will just have less features on it and less labor to produce. Most of the time with High Noon's product line (can not speak for any other maker) they are made of thiner leather. If you do not need the features, stitched in site tracks, one handed reholstering etc etc then the less expensive models work great!! Hey, sometimes my pants seem to be tighter then normal, I wonder why, I can only blame it on the dryer??? and that nice thin holster works just right, fits in your pants perfect.

Take Care
    Alex

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links