Why do people bash cheapos?

This is a discussion on Why do people bash cheapos? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm as frugal as the next guy, but there are things that DON'T have the potential for life & death malfunction on which to "save" ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Why do people bash cheapos?

I'm as frugal as the next guy, but there are things that DON'T have the potential for life & death malfunction on which to "save" money. I bash holster (equipment) cheapos just like I bash folks who feel safe carrying Jennings, Hi-Point or ? handguns. I'm not a snob, nor do I have tons of money. But to risk your life on anything but the best you can find (not just afford) is, in my view, shortsighted. I can save money & drive my old (reliable) Toyota pickup MUCH easier than I can wear a Fobus or Uncle Mikes holster and drive a new Chevy Silverado.
    The point is, you prioritize the spots that are important to YOU! I prioritise the things that can save my rear-end.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    OK...devil's advocate here...

With that reasoning, I should sell my Harley and buy a 125cc Honda...they both could get me to work...

Hey, in reality...whatever works for YOU. But a good quality 'boned' holster is MY choice.

OMO...no flame intended!

Stay armed...with something...stay safe!
    Ha! you chose the wrong analogy there. I would rather ride my Honda VTX than any Harley.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    I'm as frugal as the next guy, but there are things that DON'T have the potential for life & death malfunction on which to "save" money. I bash holster (equipment) cheapos just like I bash folks who feel safe carrying Jennings, Hi-Point or ? handguns. I'm not a snob, nor do I have tons of money. But to risk your life on anything but the best you can find (not just afford) is, in my view, shortsighted. I can save money & drive my old (reliable) Toyota pickup MUCH easier than I can wear a Fobus or Uncle Mikes holster and drive a new Chevy Silverado.
    The point is, you prioritize the spots that are important to YOU! I prioritise the things that can save my rear-end.
    Hi ghost tracker,

Each of has his own experiences and sometimes they are very different.
    I have used Fobus Paddle holsters for at least 10 years. Until recently I fired 1000 rounds of .45 per month plus some other calibers. Most of that time I used the Fobus paddle.
    I also at times carry the Fobus for CCW due to the ease of using it on and off.

The ones I have hold the gun very securely, and unless you draw at the correct angle the gun will not come out. It would no more likely fall out than a leather holster.
    I have never had the whole rig come off when drawing. It is important to get one that fits the gun as I have had to exchange a couple that would not take the gun.
    The last one I bought for a KT P3AT has a tension screw.

I have seen the video of a guy running up to another and tearing the Fobus off. I think it is mostly hokey as if one is CC no one would know, and what would you be doing while someone was running up to you and trying to get your gun and holster??
    I asked a friend to break mine in such a manner and he did not in a couple of tries.

I have some of the best maker's products, but sometimes I still use the Fobus. Money is not an issue.

My question is have you ever really used a Fobus or is it hearsay?

If you have had bad experiences I won't doubt it, but I would be interested to know if you have had actual experience.

Just a matter of curiosity since my own experience with the Fobus has been satisfactory. They work when I have used them, and know several others who use them.

Regards,
    Jerry

I can hear the rattle of kydex a block away!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    I must have got a defective fobus cuz mine don't rattle.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I can hear the rattle of kydex a block away!
    I bet your hearing is so bad you could not hear thunder a block away. Now I am just assuming that having been a gun guy for years your hearing has gone the way of mine. I sometimes wear two hearing aids. It seems as if the cotton did not protect my ears. :)

Regards,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    Hi ghost tracker,My question is have you ever really used a Fobus or is it hearsay?

If you have had bad experiences I won't doubt it, but I would be interested to know if you have had actual experience.

Just a matter of curiosity since my own experience with the Fobus has been satisfactory. They work when I have used them, and know several others who use them.

Regards,
    Jerry
    Hi Jerry,
    Yep, I've owned & used Fobus holsters. OWB model for a Browning Hi-Power, IWB for a GLOCK G19. They didn't fall apart, get torn away or prove to be anything less than they are represented to be by the folks who make & sell them. My comments aren't intended as a Fobus bashing. But when I compared them to; Milt Sparks (Summer Special for my G19), Bucheimer (Thumb-snap High Rise for an alloy framed S&W Model 12) or a nice Bianchi (1911 & BHP) the difference in retention, comfort, speed & (my) confidence makes the alternative choices, for me, easy to make. And it's not just a kydex vs. leather issue. I use Fist, BLACKHAWK and other synthetic holsters. Pricey doesn't always mean quality any more than inexpensive always means cheap. I just think noticing what the top trainers & pro shooters use is a good indicator of what they've found best serves them. And their quanity & level of shooting puts admittedly more wear & tear on their gear. I simply don't ever want to introduce another element of potential problems in a self-defense situation because I had previously decided my holster was a good spot to save a few dollars. It's a factor I choose to minimize by spending the extra money required.

Regards, GT
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Pro shooters, like NASCAR drivers, rely on their sponsors. They're all good, take what they use as a grain of salt.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Hi Jerry,
    Yep, I've owned & used Fobus holsters. OWB model for a Browning Hi-Power, IWB for a GLOCK G19. They didn't fall apart, get torn away or prove to be anything less than they are represented to be by the folks who make & sell them. My comments aren't intended as a Fobus bashing. But when I compared them to; Milt Sparks (Summer Special for my G19), Bucheimer (Thumb-snap High Rise for an alloy framed S&W Model 12) or a nice Bianchi (1911 & BHP) the difference in retention, comfort, speed & (my) confidence makes the alternative choices, for me, easy to make. And it's not just a kydex vs. leather issue. I use Fist, BLACKHAWK and other synthetic holsters. Pricey doesn't always mean quality any more than inexpensive always means cheap. I just think noticing what the top trainers & pro shooters use is a good indicator of what they've found best serves them. And their quanity & level of shooting puts admittedly more wear & tear on their gear. I simply don't ever want to introduce another element of potential problems in a self-defense situation because I had previously decided my holster was a good spot to save a few dollars. It's a factor I choose to minimize by spending the extra money required.

Regards, GT
    Hi GT,
    Thanks for the reply. I don't disagree that the top holsters are worth the money and the wait. I have a "thing" about nice leather holsters, and some money tied up in a bunch of them.

It makes a lot of sense to use what you have the most confidence in. One doesn't ever want to get into a bad situation and have a doubt gnawing at you.
    I appreciate the response.

Regards,
    Jerry

For me, if it works, is reliable, is safe and is durable then price doesn't matter.

I have some cheap holsters that are crap, and some that are acceptable and I don't have a problem with. I also have some moderately priced ones and a couple of custom ones that I love and wear daily.

Bottom line, if it works all the time, every time and doesn't fall apart, then it isn't cheap. It may be more economical than others but it's not cheap.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by AMH View Post
    Nothing wrong with "cheapos".

What ever gets the job done.

The only reason I put in an order for a CrossBreed was because I couldn't find a cheapo that worked well for my XD
    I love my crossbreeds. I have two now, and both of them together cost less than some of the holsters I looked at before these. Not to mention the lifetime warranty.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links