KG Products Leather-Kote

This is a discussion on KG Products Leather-Kote within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First off -- Nate, if you're reading this don't shoot me for using this on one of your holsters. If you know of some reason ...

Thread: KG Products Leather-Kote

Thumbs up KG Products Leather-Kote

First off -- Nate, if you're reading this don't shoot me for using this on one of your holsters. If you know of some reason folks shouldn't use it, please jump in here and say so since I obviously have no long term experience with the product.

That said, here we go. Due to a post by a fellow member in this thread, I recently ordered some KG Products Leather-Kote from Brownell's. The order came today and I applied the product to my UBG Canute holster for my P239. Before anyone jumps to any conclusions, I love this holster. Nate does beautiful work and this is now my everyday holster. However, even after the plastic bag stretching trick, the holster had a tendency to get a grip on my pistol and make drawing difficult. While the insertion was fine, the removal was difficult. I would liken it to pushing a bronze cleaning brush partway through the barrel of a gun and then trying to reverse directions. It was like the grain of the leather was pushing forward as I inserted the pistol but didn't want to reverse for the draw. In all fairness to Nate, my Brigade Gunleather holsters act exactly the same way. In fact, the only holsters I have that have a very smooth draw are the ones I got from LittleFeather Leather. On the model I got from him, the inside of the holster is finished just like the outside.

Anyway, I applied the Leather-Kote to the inside of the holster, rubbed it in and let it sit for about 30 minutes. This stuff is pretty incredible. My holster still has a good grip for proper retention, but there is no hesitation on the draw. The gun pulls out without trying to pull the holster up out of my pants. I have no idea how long the application will last or if it will wear off -- only time will answer that one. Also, I carry pretty much exclusively IWB, though I do have a Bonneville ordered from Nate for when I'm working out on the "Ponderosa", and I'm not sure if this stuff would make an OWB holster too slick for proper retention or not, so use on an OWB with a word of caution. On an IWB holster, coupled with the pressure of the belt, I couldn't ever see a problem. Only other suggestion I have is unless you have a couple of thousand holsters you want to slick up, buy the 2oz. size. I bought the 4oz. jar and a little of this stuff goes a long way. Depending on whether it wears off and has to be reapplied, I'll probably have to leave the rest of the jar to one of my kids in my will.

Holler if you have a question about this stuff and I'll try and answer from my very limited experience with it.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    Told you it worked! It's great stuff and beats the you know what out of hyde-glyde and the others. I use it on all my holsters and belts and it's unbelievably slick! If it's good enough for Alex Nossar it's good enough for me but it's always a good idea to check with whomever made your holster first!!

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Is it real liquidy, like grease or vaseline, or is it a dryer product?

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Nate,
    It has about the consistency of dish-washing liquid. A white-ish color. No ingredients listed other than PTFE ( a Teflon based product).

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Links