Shoulder rig?

This is a discussion on Shoulder rig? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Longtooth... a belt and suspenders?...you are a careful man...:)...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shoulder rig?

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Longtooth... a belt and suspenders?...you are a careful man...:)

2. Remove Ads

Belt and suspenders work well for carrying heavier guns at waist level, in fact a belt supported by suspenders has the characteristics of a very low-riding shoulder holster. :)
    Humani nihil alienum

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chiboxer View Post
    I personally carry my Glock 22 or Glock 27 in a Falco shoulder rig. That's right Falco not Galco. They are a Slovenian company and the rig costs about $65.00. Very comfy. I carry in a shoulder rig any time I'm out running errands and can't wear regular pants. i.e. sweats, athletic shorts, etc. Shoulder rigs are a quite viable option.
    Just checked it out on Gunnersalley. Not a bad looking rig. Do you wear a shirt under it? Does it print with just a t shirt over it? Got any pics of it on you?

Raging Bull rides very comfortably in vertical carry while hunting or fishing. It's only concealed because of the orange vest or fishing vest. Slow draw, but for boar and gators that's okay.

Quote Originally Posted by bluelineman View Post
    Just checked it out on Gunnersalley. Not a bad looking rig. Do you wear a shirt under it? Does it print with just a t shirt over it? Got any pics of it on you?
    I'll post pics tomorrow. I generally wear it with a T-shirt. I would say it as well as most shoulder holsters would print pretty badly with just a T-shirt covering it. However a flannel shirt usually does the trick. I thought it was a good buy for the money, though.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

I have a Ross M42A shoulder rig for my G17 that seems to work well. I have a little trouble concealing with a shoulder rig due to my small frame, but it's not much of an issue with a hooded sweatshirt or coat.

My main complaint with the Ross rig is that it uses the same slide adjustment method as the type with the cheap nylon straps, although the holster and straps seem to be made from some good quality leather (especially the holster... if Ross made a regular cant, belt-slide, open top version, I would definately be interested). It's not a huge deal, though, and the price was definately right ($79.99, Sportsman's Warehouse).

My carry permit instructor showed me the Aker shoulder rig that he sells at his gun shop; I tried it on with my then-NIB G17, and he showed me how to adjust it and all that. I really liked it, and will probably look at one for my G21 if/when I decide to pick up a shoulder rig for it.

A little off topic, but the big local gun shop here is getting $179 (!) for a Galco Miami Classic (the same place that gets $550 for a used G21).
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by packin45 View Post
    My carry permit instructor showed me the Aker shoulder rig that he sells at his gun shop; I tried it on with my then-NIB G17, and he showed me how to adjust it and all that. I really liked it, and will probably look at one for my G21 if/when I decide to pick up a shoulder rig for it.
    If his prices suck, check here.

CopQuest Aker Leather Shoulder Holsters

Administrator

Thumbs up

LongTooth obviously has his rig set up just right for him.

Suggestion though.
    Since it looks like you've got everything positioned where it works best for you....you might want to move those screws down to the first strap holes above the mag holder rings and rig rings and then cut all of that excess strap leather off the harness.

Don't do it until you're positive that you're not going to want to change anything.

The Kanagroo: Cheap and comfortable but not great with a large carry piece.

I usually carry a .380 in it, but have occasionally carried my Kimber Ultra CDP II.
    Its great for wearing with a shirt and tie, although i can just imagine me having to pull a SUPERMAN move and rip my shirt apart at the buttons to get to it :)

Kangaroo Industries Undercover/Off Duty Shoulder Holster
    "...trying to get a long gun into play while someone is all over you like a monkey eating a cupcake is not very conducive to good survival techniques." ~Bark'n

Another vote for a Sam Andrews product, in this case a Monarch. Give Sam a call, he is a great guy, very pleasant to talk to and will spend time discussing the Pro's and Con's of shoulder holsters and his product. If he feels the holster is not right for you, he will tell you so. He has a one man shop so he is often on the road so be persistant, it is worth it. Andrews Custom Leather .
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

I rarely wear it, but find the Aker FlatSider to be a good value ($114) and comfortable rig.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    For those special occasions, I go with Sam Andrews.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links