Shoulder rig?

Shoulder rig?

This is a discussion on Shoulder rig? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Who here sports a shoulder rig on occasion or even everyday? I've been thinking about getting one and would like to hear the pros and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoulder rig?

Shoulder rig?

Who here sports a shoulder rig on occasion or even everyday? I've been thinking about getting one and would like to hear the pros and cons of experienced people.

If you could list the maker also that would be very helpful.
    "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

I have a sholder rig that I use sparingly.......it definatly has a place but not to often. I find it a great travel setup when in the car for many miles and I'm able to employ my sidearm considerably faster with it than my normal strong-side holsters. Also works wonderfully when in costume with my children during the holloween 'sugar run'.

Unsure of the maker though.....I aquired it from our amory when they were throwing them out for newer stuff.....
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I have two. The first is a pretty old DeSantis that held a Beretta 84 that has been retired and no longer carried. It was a very high quality rig, but the model is no longer made. I assume current models are fine.

My new holster is a Galco Miami Classic Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters that is seldom used. I've come to prefer carrying OWB. It is overall more comfortable for me. I seldom dress in a manner that facilitates use of a shoulder holster anymore (I'm retired). The Galco is a well made holster with many good features...primary of which are it's flatness on the back and multitude of accessories available.

One thing I'll mention is that, for me at least, the shoulder holster was always "there", it never faded to some background level of comfort. I was aware of it constantly and that can be somewhat annoying. The OWB holster I now use does fade from "conciousness" and I like that.

A shoulder holster works well if you are seated all day, wear a coat all day or drive a car alot.

My shoulder system is essential. I ride a 'sport bike' and find that, because of my upright riding style, jackets tend to ride up on OWB and IWB holsters alike. I'm very comfortable riding with my gun on my ribcage instead of my hip, and while I'll probably never have to shoot from the bike, a quick zipper pull and there it is!

Oh, I should mention that my wife thinks my shoulder holster over a white t-shirt looks dead sexy, so I wear it around the house on days off, too.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

I picked up a $15 holster from Ebay for when I ride the bike;

I have a miami classic also, It's good if you will be outside all day and the jacket stays on! Or will be sitting for most of the day.
    It's very comfortable, easy on and off, holds 2 extra mags, Quick access, In a deer stand it won't rub the side of your stand. I will wear it more in the woods then anywhere else. It has it's place, like all the rest!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

When I worked for corporate America back in the early 80’s and it was a big NO NO to carry a gun at work. So, I carry a Walther PPKs in a shoulder rig.

But, I will have to say I really don’t like them much, and today, I prefer an OWB.

Quote Originally Posted by socuban View Post
    I picked up a $15 holster from Ebay for when I ride the bike;

I picked up the same one on ebay becasue of the price. I have used it only when hiking and going through the woods, I don't like for concealed carry becasue it prints a lot and it hurts my neck.

I use this a lot, This link is my review with pics:
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...view-pics.html

This is another post from a week or two ago about the same topic:
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ystem-rig.html
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

I have an Andrews Monarch. I can''t praise it enough. Excellent craftmanship, a fair price for a custom holster and Sam is a pleasure to deal with. Do a search on this forum for other opinions. By the way, it is very comfortable.

Thumbs up Sam Andrews Monarch

Quote Originally Posted by eljuez View Post
    I have an Andrews Monarch. I can''t praise it enough. Excellent craftmanship, a fair price for a custom holster and Sam is a pleasure to deal with. Do a search on this forum for other opinions. By the way, it is very comfortable.
    A big agreement on Sam from me! My wife loves hers. She does not wear a belt, and does not like purse carry, and wears cover blouses regardless of whether she is carrying a gun. She loves hers, and has a second Andrews custom on order.

Andrews Custom Leather

The 2 main reasons I was thinking of a shoulder rig were that my motorcycle jacket would ride up and with the way I sit it wouldnt be comfortable to have the gun IWB anyway. Also my jeep sits pretty high and getting in and out tends to show my gun off to everyone around no matter how long my shirt is. Also I take the doors off every summer and wanted a better way to carry and draw while driving around since im pretty much open to anyone and anything.

TyC, you might take a look at this brief monograph. Ideas and opinions gleaned from experience.
    Shoulder Holster Review
    Humani nihil alienum

Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    TyC, you might take a look at this brief monograph. Ideas and opinions gleaned from experience.
    Shoulder Holster Review
    Wow so much info thanks alot!

The shoulder holster review is excellent.
    You have also got 2 recomendations on the Andrews Monarch. That is an excellent system. I wear an Alessi Bodyguard. It also is top of the line. I consider it & the Monarch the 2 that are at the top of the list.

On.
    Carry 24-7 or guess right.
    NRA Life Member/TSRA Life Member
    Texas CHL Instructor. www.pdtraining.us

I personally carry my Glock 22 or Glock 27 in a Falco shoulder rig. That's right Falco not Galco. They are a Slovenian company and the rig costs about $65.00. Very comfy. I carry in a shoulder rig any time I'm out running errands and can't wear regular pants. i.e. sweats, athletic shorts, etc. Shoulder rigs are a quite viable option.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links