Horsehide belt

This is a discussion on Horsehide belt within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm about 2 months from needing a new 1.5" gun belt. I think I want to try horsehide. The obvious brand that comes to mind ...

Thread: Horsehide belt

Horsehide belt

I'm about 2 months from needing a new 1.5" gun belt. I think I want to try horsehide.

The obvious brand that comes to mind is Beltman. I've also heard good things about Rusty Sherrick (he specializes in horsehide, apparently).

Does anyone have first hand experience with horsehide belts from these suppliers, or other brands?

Thanks for any first hand knowledge....

2. Remove Ads

I've tried some custom made horsehide belts,and to get the stiffness I wanted required two layers of belting,which made the belt to thick to go thru the belt loops in some of my pants.the gun belts I use now are fairly thin with a metal insert for stiffness. jwr

I have a horsehide from the beltman I have had it only for a month but I don't know how I lived without it for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by jwr747 View Post
    I've tried some custom made horsehide belts,and to get the stiffness I wanted required two layers of belting,which made the belt to thick to go thru the belt loops in some of my pants.the gun belts I use now are fairly thin with a metal insert for stiffness. jwr
    ...ok, but that would go for any double thickness belt, in bullhide too, yes? I'm hoping a typical horsehide belt would be no thicker than the leather gunbelt I've been wearing all these years.

Horsehide as a rule is thinner than bullhide, but much stronger. That's why Kramer's holsters are so popular. A double thickness horsehide isn't much thicker than a single thick bullhide, but will last forever.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    I have a dbl thick Kramer horsehide belt. It is several years old and even with daily wear, it is still going strong.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

I like my kramerleather horsehide belt.

Quote Originally Posted by ltc-usa View Post
    I like my kramerleather horsehide belt.
    Kramer does well with horsehide products. I noticed their belt, and was wondering if it was worth the extra $$, as compared to Beltman or others.

My last order from Rusty Sherrick sure took a long time to get. After pushing him on the issue he was talking being old and it catching up to him. I paid for a bottle of Hyde Glyde on the 24th of Feb and it took until the 14th of March to get. Now that I finally got it I'm impressed with how well it works. As for using horse hide, I like my Kramer holster and I'm quite impressed with how well it works and how stiff it is. I think it's one of the best uses for horses. We've got 9 here on our place. If I was to order a horse hide belt I'd check with Kramer to see what he has.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Quote Originally Posted by ridurall View Post
    My last order from Rusty Sherrick sure took a long time to get.
    As it turns out, I did order, last night, from Rusty. Delivery times were discussed up front. Actually, it'll take me about 8 - 10 weeks to get down to the waist size of the belt I ordered, so a little delay is ok.

Then, believe it or not, if I get all the way back down to ideal weight, I will go completely through the Sherrick belt, and need to buy another one. So around this time next year, I'll be making this decision all over again, looking at Sherrick, Beltman, Kramer, etc...

My Kramer horsehide belt is over 8 years old, worn daily. Still as strong as the day I got it.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Links