Tuckable Holsters

This is a discussion on Tuckable Holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have never used a tuckable holster but I think I understand the concept: Your shirt is tucked in normally around most of your body. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuckable Holsters

Tuckable Holsters

I have never used a tuckable holster but I think I understand the concept: Your shirt is tucked in normally around most of your body. At the holster the shirt goes between the holster and the clips. Is that right?

If so, my question is with a dress style shirt isn't there a lot of excess shirt that has to go somewhere? or does this only work with a fairly short tailed shirt?

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

In my experience dress shirts have fairly long tails in the front and back, but are shorter on the sides. While there may be a little excess, it works surprisingly well.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Thanks, I hadn't thought about it that way. I am thinking of a Crossbreed for my G30.

My shirts always looked wadded up at the holster.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I can't get it to work and I've tried it on numerous varied "tuckables".

It looks like I'm trying to hide a gun.

The only one that comes close to looking almost OK is a Mitch Rosen Workman Slim. inside waistband

For $235 I hoped it would work perfectly. Maybe it's just me... I've tried C.T.A.C, Super Tuck, MTAC.
    Go Glock - until you can afford H&K

Tucked Holster

Catalina,

I am with you. I have a C.T.A.C and a Super Tuck. They are both great holsters. But I never feel they hide the pistol as well as I would like. It always looks like I have a big lump on my left side. However if I am wearing a sports coat or short jacket and tuck the shirt the gun becomes invisible! So this extra bit of camouflage is something I use often in social gatherings.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by RKirk View Post
    I am with you. I have a C.T.A.C and a Super Tuck. They are both great holsters. But I never feel they hide the pistol as well as I would like. It always looks like I have a big lump on my left side.
    Hmmm. Honey, does this gun make my butt look big?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Here is the deal. I tried carrying tucked with my Glock (a 23 and a 27) in a Crossbreed. The tucking works fine, it is the bulge around the waistband. If you are not going to have another cover garment, then a thinner gun is a must. For those that dress in a snug shirt (button or polo) can pretty much forget tucking as it require "blausing" or "fluffing" the shirt a little around the waist area. I have pretty good success with my Kel-Tec PF9 in a tuckable. I use both the Crossbreed and the MTAC. The Crossbreed is a about half the thickness on the leather and about the same on the kydex - and therefore works better in a tuckable configuration. Remember, thinner is better in the tuckable situation. It can be done - but you will need a gun/holster combo that works in this situation. If you are thinking of wearing this to work with your Glock - and they prohibit firearms - don't do it - unless you can make something up to explain the bulge.

The tuckable I have just started using has a cell phone holder on the same clip so that it helps to hide the bulge.

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    Yep. You've got the gist of it. Also, if your shirt tail is too long where you position your holster, I find it works well to fold the edge of the shirt up inside four inches or so before I tuck it around the holster. I seem to remember a post on here where someone swore by a spatula as the ultimate shirt tucking tool, but I'm not quite sure how that works. Ya gotta love the ingenuity though.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Senior Moderator
    I use a HighNoon Hidden Ally that I appendix carry.

I fold my shirt tail on the side that I tuck.

With the shirt bloused it conceals very well.

All said I draw faster from a SmartCarry than a tuckable
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Holsters That Tuck

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Hmmm. Honey, does this gun make my butt look big?
    I fear that as the years pass that does not help hide the pistol!

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

I do things a little different than most. I use a Left handed holster on my right side at about the 4:30 position. I just rotate my wrist around and everything works fine. - It has always just seemed more natural that way to me.

One of the advantages is that the bottom of the handle is forward and I can slide my blackberry right below and in front of it. So even though it causes a disturbance in my shirt, it looks like it is from my PDA. Nobody (at least that I've come acros yet) gives a second glance to a cell phone that has caused a guy's shirt to slightly untuck.

YYMV... but it works well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    All said I draw faster from a SmartCarry than a tuckable

Conceilability and access seem to often be at odds.

I personally am usually in an environment where A) I will most probably never ever need my gun; and B) absolutely need to keep my weapon totally unseen. So I use a tuckable fully knowing that access will be restricted if I need it. - It's better than being unarmed... But I do need to account for that extra time.

Quote Originally Posted by Fozzy Bear View Post
    I do things a little different than most. I use a Left handed holster on my right side at about the 4:30 position. I just rotate my wrist around and everything works fine. - It has always just seemed more natural that way to me.

One of the advantages is that the bottom of the handle is forward and I can slide my blackberry right below and in front of it. So even though it causes a disturbance in my shirt, it looks like it is from my PDA. Nobody (at least that I've come acros yet) gives a second glance to a cell phone that has caused a guy's shirt to slightly untuck.

YYMV... but it works well for me.

I've been thinking about doing something exactly like that. The only problem is when I have told holster makers I want to do that, they tell me they don't recommend it and won't make the holster for me. So, I'm stuck with(and happy) with a smartcarry for now. But I'm still trying to find options.

The reason they tell me they don't want to do it is because I would be sweeping my lower back when drawing the weapon. I realize I could draw wide and avoid that...but anyway, that's what they tell me.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links