Feature request: holster makers (and Virginians) please read. - Page 2

Feature request: holster makers (and Virginians) please read.

This is a discussion on Feature request: holster makers (and Virginians) please read. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Why not just leave the holster where it is, untuck your shirt from over it, and retuck it under the gun, leaving it in the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Why not just leave the holster where it is, untuck your shirt from over it, and retuck it under the gun, leaving it in the exact same position?
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

A couple of reasons...

1) it is still an IWB, and could be argued that it is still concealed. I'd rather not leave anything up to interpretation.

2) if I am wearing a jacket, then it is absolutely still concealed.

Even in an uncovered IWB, people know you're armed, it is not concealed.
    If you're wearing a jacket, an OWB will still be concealed. About the only thing you could do with a jacket on would be a thigh rig or a shoulder holster over the coat. That would look pretty silly!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Unless you live in Manassas, I think you're making it a little harder on yourself than you need to. Pull your shirt out and tuck it behind your tuckable. If you don't think its obvious enough do it in the mirror and see for yourself. If I do this with any of my Crossbreeds, you can tell what kind of gun I'm carrying if you know your grips. OC means it has to be visible through common observation. And that doesn't mean the entire weapon.

If you're wearing a jacket, take it off. That's about your only solution there.

Might want to look at or contact someone from VCDL.org also. They can probably put your mind at ease.
    CARRY GUNS:
    S&W 638, Ruger LCP, Kimber Ultra CDP

Quote Originally Posted by prawls View Post
    Unless you live in Manassas, I think you're making it a little harder on yourself than you need to.
    Might want to look at or contact someone from VCDL.org also. They can probably put your mind at ease.
    No, I don't live in Manassas... Nor would I.

And yes, the VCDL.org is a great resource. - I really need to get around to supporting them better...

The thing is, I am not really making a big deal out of this. I do know that I am OK doing what I am doing now. I am not in fear of the law. And I'm sure everything will be just fine.

But, I've identified what I believe to be something that could make my life a little easier. I think that there are probably others that would benefit from it as well... So I started a discussion about it.

I understand where the comments are comming from when the people here have said, basically, "You're fine, just go about your business". Often when people talk about RKBA topics they feal very passionate about it. And, most of the people here are looking to help where they can. - It's out of good intention that people are trying to convince me I don't need to do anything... It's just not really helpful in this context.

I've got this holster that I am very fond of (but lets not get into a "which holster do you wear" thing) . But if it had an extra loop or catch or velcro strip, or something... It would be better. And the reason it would help me, would also apply to anybody else in the state.

I've looked online, and everywhere I can think of, but nobody seems to have a product that fits my intention. But I know that several manufacturers and hundreds of people who have been looking at holsters, read this web site.

So I 'm not making anything harder than it needs to be. I'm just curious if it could be better.

Fozzy Bear:

How about using a standard IBW holster with the metal belt clip. On the other side of the holster sew on a flap of leather that will work like a pattle holster. Sew it accross the top. When its IBW the flap/pattle just acts like a flat body shield. It could be easily pulled out of either location and changed without having to take your belt off, and it keeps the gun facing in the same direction. And, no metal belt clip jabbing your side when its IBW. I'll have to get my leather working stuff to see how it works.
    If only the militia can be armed, will the government pick the loyalists or the patriots?

Was it our Founding Fathers intent to let someone like King George pick who can be a militia?

That's more and more what I am leaning toward.

Either the way you mentioned in a Paddle configuration, or;
    I've thought that I could make it a litte better by making the flap long enough to wrap around the belt and connect with a strip of velcro, capturing the belt in a loop. I'm going to make some paper models and see where the best place to mount the velcro would be (to not interfere IWB) and see if there's a good solution, or if paddle is the way to go.

I'm lucky in that the holster I have (the tail-gate by HighNoon) has an extra flap of leather that can provide an out-of-the-way mounting point if I need it. I need to see for sure, but I think I'll be able to take advantage of that.

I've met a local guy who makes his own holsters and has an industrial sewing machine. Hopefully we can work something out.

Quote Originally Posted by Fozzy Bear View Post
    That's more and more what I am leaning toward.

Either the way you mentioned in a Paddle configuration, or;
    I've thought that I could make it a litte better by making the flap long enough to wrap around the belt and connect with a strip of velcro, capturing the belt in a loop. I'm going to make some paper models and see where the best place to mount the velcro would be (to not interfere IWB) and see if there's a good solution, or if paddle is the way to go.

I'm lucky in that the holster I have (the tail-gate by HighNoon) has an extra flap of leather that can provide an out-of-the-way mounting point if I need it. I need to see for sure, but I think I'll be able to take advantage of that.

I've met a local guy who makes his own holsters and has an industrial sewing machine. Hopefully we can work something out.
    Local to where? I'm in Northern VA and am in the process of applying for my CHL, I take the course next Wednesday, and have begun the process of trying to find not only a handgun to carry but holsters that will work for me.

As a fellow virginian this is something that concerns me while carrying! Since i don't carry currently I don't know how well any of the proposed solutions will work. But, I understand your concern because it's something I've thought of too. I don't understand the law of allowing open carry in restaurants but...hopefully they'll change the law soon enough.

I figured I'd make another comment just in case somebody in the future pulls this up in a search.

I was talking with a few local people and one guy told me his solution. It, after hearing it, seems so obvious I'm almost embarrassed that I didn't think of it myself immediately. He just pulls the holster out of his pants and relocates it between this pants and his belt (and also rotates it to infront of 3:00 o'clock to make sure it doesn't appear he's trying to conceal it.) The mounting clips and flap still work exactly as they should, it is just outside of his pants, still held in place by his belt...

Member Array Bluegrass Holsters's Avatar
    Greetings folks....

I have been busy with orders and finishing the revisions to a couple IWB designs that I have developed and did not see this thread initiated.

The Mason-Dixon prototype is now a reality. No photos of the new version as of yet, however, it is still a convertible OWB to IWB and vice-versa which should fill the bill for the OP.

To remind folks about the holster: it is a standard OWB pancake with belt slots which include a removable set of leather adapters/risers (which are now shorter and have few height adjustment holes) to which are attached the IWB loops. When attached to the holster these adapters and loops change the OWB into a tuckable IWB with fore and aft belt loops similar to the VMII and others. The holster holds up well to the conversion and could be changed from IWB to OWB in a matter of seconds. The design also allows for ride height adjustment and some degree of cant variability for each user. The down side for the OP is that the user (in this case specifically) would have to have a screw driver handy to remove the adapters.

This holster will sell for $80 (slight increase from the original plan) which nets the user a custom OWB and custom tuckable IWB all in one rig. I hope to have photos within the week for folks to see....otherwise you can find the old prototype photos somewhere on this forum.

Hopefully this is somewhat useful to the OP and any others wanting this type of rig.

Yeah Brock,

Our conversation a month ago is one of the things that got me started thinking about this in the first place. When can I have one, and, have you got a price for that custom modification I'm looking for?

Yeah Brock,

Our conversation a month ago is one of the things that got me started thinking about this in the first place. When can I have one....
    I am accepting orders now...I have a couple of those in the works so I should have photos of finalized products very soon.

Yeah Brock,
    ...have you got a price for that custom modification I'm looking for?
    Check your PM's....no price yet....just a concept that you can give input and guidance (I bet all the other folks want in on the secret, too! Don't tell them!)

I would think it would be a bit of pain to try and covert your holster from tucked IWB position to an OWB, which I would imagine would involve switching around loops, straps or clips moving it off and then back on your belt etc. Then do it all again, after you leave the restaurant. I can appreciate a holster that can be converted to various carry styles, but I think it would be a pain to do on the street, rather than back at home before heading out the door. To me, the earlier solution given of simply lifting your shirt and tucking it behind the weapon, so the grip and top of holster were no longer concealed would be the way to go. It should qualify as OPEN CARRY, it certainly is no longer concealed, when it can be readily seen.

Sponsor
    Sorry if this has been said, I only waded through the first page and a half of replies.

Depending on the style of tuckable IWB you're wearing, you could wear it between your belt and britches while in the OC mode. It should work for most designs and would eliminate the flop problem that you mentioned.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links