Feature request: holster makers (and Virginians) please read.

This is a discussion on Feature request: holster makers (and Virginians) please read. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all. I've got a very specific request, but since it is based on Virginia laws, I'm guessing there may be others wanting the same ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feature request: holster makers (and Virginians) please read.

Hi all.

I've got a very specific request, but since it is based on Virginia laws, I'm guessing there may be others wanting the same thing... So I'm posting this in the open for a few reasons:
    1) If there ARE a lot of others who want it, that would indicate a market that is not being serviced.
    2) If somebody else has actually solved this issue, hopefully they'll mention it.
    and
    3) If somebody down the road comes up with a solution, this will show up in a search done later.

That being said;
    I am a resedent of Virginia, and unfortunately we have been unsuccessful at repealing a ban on CCW in restaraunts that serve alcohol. Open carry is fine, oddly enough, but ccw is not allowed. So when I'm carrying, I can not go into a resteraunt without running afaul of the law, or leaving my weapon in the car (if I'm driving.) I WOULD just relocate my holster to make it clearly visible, open carry. But that's where my problem comes in.

I use a IWB tuckable holster (different models for my different guns) but since they are all tuckable, they all share the situation that if you try to simply pull them out of your pants to expose the weapon, they flop over upside-down because of the flap to allow your shirt a place to fit.

I need a solution. I have a few thoughts on how to accomodate what I need, but I wanted to leave that open to people more clever than I first. If you have an idea that's better than the ones I list below, please mention it. And, if you live in Virgina (or not) and have a better way to apporach this problem from the start, please let me know that too...

-----------

First, I figure I could just get one of the holsters that is a pancake holster with J hooks screwed into the belt slots. Then I could just undo my belt and slide it on pancake style. That seems to me my most likely option if nothing comes of this thread...

Or, I could just carry around another holster, for example a slim-line paddle style ... but that sucks for a few different reasons.

Another option is to make a modular holster that has IWB tuckable mounts and a paddle OWB mount, so I'd only have to have the other mount with me. - Sucks less... but still not great, and even though I have seen modular systems out there, I have never seen one where the same core-body attached to an OWB and an IWB mounting system.

Of course the Low-Tech, Low-Buck solution would be to carry a big heavy rubber band to just loop aroung the body of the holster and the tuckable flap to hold it upright. Or maybe attaching velcro or something similar to the inside of the clip-flap and holster body of the holsters I have... I'd just have to rip the velcro appart every time I tucked my shirt in. - But that switchs a left handed IWB holster to a right handed OWB by flipping it around, which opens up several other issues...

Then, what I think would be the best, would be an IWB tuckable where the clips could be reversed to the other side of the holster, so the weight of the gun wouldn't flip it over when hooked OWB.

Does anybody know somebody who makes that already?

Does anybody have any better ideas?

- Thanks for your attention.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Just do the Virginia tuck - untuck the shirt and stuff it behind the gun for instant open carry.

Another fine choice... Thanks.

The only thing is that it would still be an IWB at the 4:30 position, which might be argued is still covered...

Of course, I could always swing it around to 2:00 also... But then I'd probably have issues sitting. I'lll have to experiment with that at home. But it's still an IWB. The non tuckable ones (which this would then be) are sold as Concealment Holsters all day long, and I'd rather not leave anything to interpretation...

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    I have this holster from Black Hills Leather. Ive had it for 9 months or so. Good holster. I can't compare it to the top guys because I haven't worn or used one of theirs. But this is definitely a quality holsters.

Edit, I now realize you are starting with an IWB. Rudy might be able to turn this into an IWB. I think it could be done by modifying the belt strap a little and its location.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Yeah, THAT would work too... That's just a slight wrinkle on the first idea I listed in the OP, but it would answer the question of what I do with the clips when not using them... I'll give them a shout and see what they think.

And that also made me think that maybe I could just stitch a belt loop on the inside of my existing holster. It would add a little bit of thickness (which I REALLY would like to avoid) but it would be a quick, cheap and affective solution... and on the inside of the holster body, it would keep a right handed holster on the right side.

More good stuf to think about.

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    This is where it gets really harry...... 1 I'm not a lawyer...

From what I understand from VA law regarding OC in VA as long as it is assumed that your carrying a gun, and that its visible i.e. somebody saw the butt of your gun because your carrying IWB however the grip is still exposed then its considered OC in VA.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    This is where it gets really harry...... 1 I'm not a lawyer...

From what I understand from VA law regarding OC in VA as long as it is assumed that your carrying a gun, and that its visible i.e. somebody saw the butt of your gun because your carrying IWB however the grip is still exposed then its considered OC in VA.

yes, but...

As I mentioned, I know I could get by like that... but I'd rather not pre-engineer a situation where something like that is in any kind of gray-area. That's just an un-informed store manager away from the police being called, or having myself and party asked to leave. And even IF the Police are just going to tell him I'm not breaking the law... I don't need that.

I'm not standing on a sidewalk, hungry and wondering if I can go into someplace for dinner... I'm sitting at my computer. I have the time to figure out a better solution, so I'm trying to think of everything (as much as humanly possible) ahead of time.

But you're right... There would PROBABLY be no problems... I'm just trying to help the odds but planning in advance.

There was a thread on here that I found when searching for info on holsters. Nate from UBG made what was, I think, a Striker I with reversible clips so that it could be converted from IWB to OWB. It was a custom order for one of the board members.

Updated: Here's the thread I was referring to: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...lots-pics.html
    Last edited by BlackPR; March 21st, 2008 at 06:54 PM. Reason: added info
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Still doesn't solve the problem of pocket carry...
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Check out fist holsters I think I ahve seen something that might work Its called the 2 way or something like that

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPR View Post
    Updated: Here's the thread I was referring to: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...lots-pics.html
    Yeah, that's the idea, BUT that holster you linked to is not a tuckable design, so that wouldn't help me.

bump.

Anybody else?

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    if open carry is required inside certain places of business and concealed carry is required elsewhere, what is the exact point of transition between the modes of carry to avoid an infraction of the law? If you walk up to the building concealed with a cover garment over a OWB holster, then take off the cover garment before entering, is that a violation by intentionally exposing a handgun in a general public setting? If you walk into the restricted business with the cover garment over the OWB weapon intending to remove it once inside, are you then in violation of the visible weapon clause prior to uncovering it?

Sounds like a no win situation if an overly agressive prosecutor is itching for a case to persue.

It's not quite the catch 22 that you think.

Open carry is permitted in public. And open carry is permitted inside. So no, you don't have to do an instant transition in the thresh-hold.

CC is legal with the proper permit, but not in a resteraunt that serves alcohol. Since most do, I either have to stash my gun in the car, or expose the weapon to make it OC. - Add to that, I choose a tuckable IWB holster, that is unable to be hung outisde the belt (like non-tuckable designs can). -

That's why I'd love for a holster maker to offer a product that can be mounted either IWB-tuckable or OWB.

I was hoping that I was not in a rare situation (ie small market) and that some others would either clue me in on how they solved the situation, or demonstrate that there is actually a market for such a product.

Alas, neither has happened, so it looks like I'll just be having a one-off solution hand made for me. - perhapse just a modification of my existing holster...

Would something like this work for you?

Pro Carry DD (Double Duty) 2-in-1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links