Tough choices, Milt Sparks 55 BN or I-BAK?

This is a discussion on Tough choices, Milt Sparks 55 BN or I-BAK? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone tried either of these? I got my VM II last week, so I got IWB covered. But I want a OWB also, as ...

Thread: Tough choices, Milt Sparks 55 BN or I-BAK?

Tough choices, Milt Sparks 55 BN or I-BAK?

Has anyone tried either of these?

I got my VM II last week, so I got IWB covered. But I want a OWB also, as I like to carry both ways. For some reason Milt doesn't make a lot of holsters for the Sig 220R, so I really only have 2 options from them.

I am leaning towards the I-BAK because when the holster starts to stretch, having the 2 belt loops spaced out like that, I figured it would take up some of the slack. Also it looks like it would ride a little "tighter" to the body than the 55 BN. But I like the looks of the BN more.

And I couldn't find any info as to how high they ride, as I prefer higher ride for a 5" pistol.
    "Nice grips, weird choice of etching" Rocky

2. Remove Ads

Don't know about those two but I just ordered one of these and a VM II from MS. This one will fit yours so you might want to consider it too.

Slide Guard

Just got off the phone with MS and found out a few interesting things.

First, I felt bad calling them cause they are so busy, and I don't want to hold them up with "stupid" questions. I have talked to them 3 times in my lifetime, and every time they are super nice, seem like we have all the time in the world, and patient. Customer Service departments need to consult them on how to treat people.

I think I am leaning towards the 55 BN now. I thought the I-BAK would ride closer to the body, but was told that is not really true. The 55 is their most popular OWB hoslter they make. Plus the reinforced holster mouth is a big plus for re-holstering in some of the classes I am planning on taking soon.

I am curious if I can use it in some of the competitions I plan on doing this year. I could just get a kydex for that, but the Blackhawk I tried already put more scratches on the pistol than I thought it should.

I'm wearing a 55BNH right now and it's my favorite OWB holster.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    I'm wearing a 55BNH right now and it's my favorite OWB holster.
    Wouldn't happen to have a pic would ya?

If it's not too much trouble that is...

I don't want to start a new thread for this question, so I hope someone can help me.

I forgot to as if you can get a "body shield"/fat flap on the 55BN. I have heard they won't do this on their OWB holsters, just curious if anyone knows?

I can't call them till Monday, so I figured i'd ask here.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I have the I-BAK for a 1911 Compact SA. If I remember their other holsters, this is the lowest riding OWB. The muzzle clears the holster about at the top of the belt. I prefer low ride holsters.
    I wanted a body shield on the I-BAK but they do not make one. I think they do not put a shield on their OWB. As much as I like the I-BAK, I have ordered one from K&D with a body shield.

Best,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    I have the I-BAK for a 1911 Compact SA. If I remember their other holsters, this is the lowest riding OWB. The muzzle clears the holster about at the top of the belt. I prefer low ride holsters.
    I wanted a body shield on the I-BAK but they do not make one. I think they do not put a shield on their OWB. As much as I like the I-BAK, I have ordered one from K&D with a body shield.

Best,
    Jerry
    K&D does great work. I like the MS VMII, it is a great IWB holster. For OWB I like the K&D eagle defender.

TerryD, you might want to check them out, it sounds like they would fill your needs for OWB. The eagle defender is high ride, fits tight to the body, and you can get the body shield. I prefer the body shield as well and personally will not use a OWB that does not have it, just my preference.

Glock 26 4gen, H&K USPc, S&W 642, Wilson Combat 1911 CQB

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    HI Bowie,
    The Eagle Defender is what I ordered. I have a Laredo Defender for my G26, and I agree that Kevin does fine work. I am looking forward to receiving the Eagle Defender. I know I will be pleased.

Regards,
    Jerry

That K&D looks nice, really nice.

I just got my VM II the other day and am just blown away by how nice it really is. I had it ordered through MS, but on a whim I called Lightening Arms and they had one. So I figured since I am still "in-line" with MS, I would just get an OWB holster.

But I gotta say, the K&D's I have seen look really nice, if not on par with MS, and it would be cheaper. But I would also have a longer wait time with K&D as my MS will be ready in about 4 weeks.

Tough choices...

Hi Jerry,
    Congrats on the pending order, look forward to seeing it. I thought about getting a laredo defender for my j frame. Leather is an addiction
    Glock 26 4gen, H&K USPc, S&W 642, Wilson Combat 1911 CQB

the Bruce Nelson is awesome. Here's an old one from Idaho City before they moved to Boise.

Go Glock - until you can afford H&K

Links