have committed to purchasing a beltman belt, but...

This is a discussion on have committed to purchasing a beltman belt, but... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am undecided about which model to purchase. I am on the tall and thin side (6'1", 160 lbs) and carry every day except where ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: have committed to purchasing a beltman belt, but...

I am undecided about which model to purchase. I am on the tall and thin side (6'1", 160 lbs) and carry every day except where prohibited by law. I usually wear 1 1/4" belts (every regualr belt I own is this size) and would like to stay with this size. (It seems to suit my needs for casual and dress wear.) I would like to buy only one belt for varied dress (for casual attire, with business suits, range wear, etc.) As such I have decided on either black or cordovan color, as I can wear either with my grey or blue suits. I carry either a glock 19, glock 26, or ruger sp101 stainless .357, 2 1/4" barrel. Because I am only buying one, the price of the belt is not an issue. Please keep your suggestions limited to the beltman belts, as this is the one I have decided to buy. My main question is, which material should I buy? (i.e., bullhide, shark, horsehide, elephant) Any comments on the reasons why you chose one "skin" over the other (and your reasoning behind it) would be greatly appreciated. If the lesser expensive skin or hide is preferable (or vice versa), please let me know. Also, do you prefer the 5 hole or seven hole construction (I would think that the seven hole model would provide a better fit) I know nothing lasts forever, and I don't expect this belt to either. Nothing beats experience, so whatever your experience is with any of their materials, please advise me accordingly. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

kpw
    I'm thinking of a horsehide belt for similar reasons. All of my leather belts are cowhide and they have held up just great, better than anything you could find in a store. From what I've seen and read, horsehide can have more of a luster or shine than cowhide and is extremely durable. All my holsters are made for 1 1/2" so I'm looking at a tapered belt.

What size belt slots do your holsters have? It's important to match. I find a 1.25" belt too thin to carry well, but I tote a 1911. Double horsehide is my absolute favorite for strength and thinness. Usually the exotics are laminated over a cowhide belt, but do look nicer.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Horsehide is denser and less porous than cow hide. While it causes it to have more luster and 'sheen', it also means that it dyes less uniformly. IMO this makes it extremely attractive as well as durable, but it does not go well with my suits.

My recommendation: Cowhide or maybe sharkskin... but to me, sharkskin belts scream "gun".

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Horse hide without the stiffener would be my $.02. It's thinner & stronger than cowhide. It's also only $10 more than the bullhide with the stiffener. I'd go with 7 holes for more "expansion".

Re : Beltman

I've had a belt man belt for over a year. Had a Blocker before that. Dann's belt was good,but the "Beltman belt is better. Have 11/2" bull hide for a G27 carry.Love it. Am using a ted blocker holster which is 10+years old. So some things have changed since then. However do you/or anybody ever check out other peoples belts??No body ever looks to see what color/or what ever your belt is. Think about that.I would buy a "beltman belt again in a minute. just my thoughts

Well..... here is my 2 cents worth. You and I are about the same size - I am 6"2" and 170 lbs. I have both the horsehide and elephant belt from the Beltman. Both are 1 1/2". The horse has the 5 hole configuration and the elephant has the 7 hole. Both are great belts and the horse is in brown and the elephant in black. If I was to order another ( which I won't need to for a very long time ) I would go with the 7 hole configuration and elephant. Why? The elephant is a bit stiffer and just does not show any scratches, marks or cuts whatsoever. I have noticed with a few of my IWB holsters with the plastic clips that they are leaving scratch marks on the brown horse belt. I consider the scratches badges of honor and at some time will touch them up. Yeah, the elephant cost more but it is extremely tough and looks good with either jeans or nice slacks. I would urge you to go with the 1 1/2 " width. The seven hole belt gives you a bit more leeway with IWB holsters of various thickness or for that Monday following a weekend of a few to many burgers and beer! Good luck and let us know what you decide.

I recently received my 1 1/4Ē beltman sharkskin belt in black (absolutely beautiful). I purchased this size for business attire where the belt loops in suit pants will not accept a 1 1/2Ē belt, and also would look somewhat out of place size wise. I can tell you that it is plenty stiff enough accept maybe for the heaviest of carry guns. My next purchase in the not distant future will be elephant. That will be my 5th beltman purchase. So fair to say I love his work.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    You guys have me feeling better about my 1.25" black elephant belt w/7 holes that I have on order. I was wondering about going with a 1.5" but on my 5'9" frame it may stick out too much as a gun belt plus I'll be wearing it with dress slacks at times. Also, I don't plan on carrying anything big, mostly a PM9 or G29 IWB. I knew elephant was tough because I had some elephant skin boots when I was younger. I could kick concrete blocks and not scuff those suckers. The elephant and the shark both look great and IMO are worth the extra because of the toughness/stiffness.

Thanks to all who have responded. And to JrHawk and Wasabi, I think I'm leaning towards the 1 1/4" elephant in black with 7 holes. (Although, I kind of find it reprehensible that an elephant will be slaughtered so that a miniscule piece of his hide will be made into a belt for some tall skinny guy from Philadelphia! I'll probably have nightmares for a year!) I'm curious to see if the elephant black is "dressy" enough for suits. Post a pic if you have one. Also, I'm thinking about the matching key chain (and hoping it's from the same slaughtered elephant!). Finally, can the end of the belt that slips through the belt buckle fit through the adjacent belt loop? (like "regular" belts do?). Thanks again.

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    This is from an email exchange between myself & "The Beltman".

-Is the horsehide belt (without stiffener) stiffer than a bullhide (with the stiffener)?

generally, yes.

-How does the stiffness of the shark compare to the bull or horse?

the exotics we use, shark and elephant are not as stiff as bull or horse. Their benefits consist of scuff and abrasion resistance , and sexy good looks.

-Which one of the above is the thinnest? I'm guessing that the horse is the best option if you want a combination of the thinnest & stiffest available.

thickness relies on the particular piece of leather we use that day,,, they donít vary much, but splitting leather is not an exact science. ( we donít do our own splitting, we use it as it comes ). Lately the horse has been as thick as the bull, so itís a toss up. Usually a horse belt without a stiffener will be a little thinner than a bull hide belt with stiffener.

I'm not sure about Jim's elephant belts but his shark belts come standard with a polymer stiffener since the bullhide/shark construction is thinner than a dual layer bullhide. That should take care of any stiffness issues that might otherwise be a problem - I believe he builds his elephant belts the same way.

I ordered a shark key carrier with my first bullhide belt just to see a sample of the hide and now I'm waiting on a 1.25" sharkskin belt that should be in any day now. This'll be for suits and slacks (I generally wear a 1.5") so I wanted something a bit dressier than bullhide that would still look good after several years.

From what I've experienced, Jim's work is excellent, his prices are very competitive and he's a pleasure to do business with. I'll be ordering a few 1.25" horsehide belts in various browns/cordovan soon for khakis too - good leather gear is addictive to say the least!
    Jack

I just bought a 1 1/4inch beltman...bull hide with the stiffener and it holds my Ruger GP100 nicely in a FIST OWB holster. You will not need the stiffener if you carry IWB. It really is a good belt.

Horsie!

Got a B-man horsie in 1.25". The color options are not as varied as the bull. Used to be a lee-zard option, very nice but I believe discontinued.

I choose 7 holes.

YMMV
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

My first was a 1 1/4" black bullhide, and my second was a 1 1/2" cordovan bullhide. I still wear both, but most times I wear the 1 1/2" now that I've owned it a while. If I was to buy another right now I would buy a 1 1/2" black bullhide to go with my cordovan.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links