Got My C-TAC, Need a Little Assistance

This is a discussion on Got My C-TAC, Need a Little Assistance within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally got my C-TAC holster in the mail yesterday. As usual, the shipping & production was faster than expected. I tried on the holster ...

Thread: Got My C-TAC, Need a Little Assistance

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar

I finally got my C-TAC holster in the mail yesterday. As usual, the shipping & production was faster than expected. I tried on the holster today but have a few questions:

1) What "o'clock" is best for carry? I tried 2 o'clock and liked that OK but found that it obscured my pocket a little. No printing so that is good. Don't some guys carry at 5 o'clock? That was pretty uncomfortable for me.

2) What is the allen wrench they included used for?

3) How can I cant the holster? Should I cant the holster?

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    The little allen wrench is to change the tension the kydex imposes on the gun to hold it in place. It also is used to change the position on the clips.

To raise one side (change the cant) or both sides you use the allen wrench to move the clips in to a different hole.

Raise the clips = lower the holster.

I carry @ 5 o'clock position.

The position of the clips let you adjust the height and the angle of the pistol. I like mine at the 3:00 to 3:30 position. Mine is for a a 3" 1911. The clips are both set on the center position and has about a 10 degree tilt forward. Very comfortable and conceals very well. It is also one of the fastest holsters I have used.

Quote Originally Posted by McPatrickClan View Post
    I finally got my C-TAC holster in the mail yesterday. As usual, the shipping & production was faster than expected. I tried on the holster today but have a few questions:

1) What "o'clock" is best for carry? I tried 2 o'clock and liked that OK but found that it obscured my pocket a little. No printing so that is good. Don't some guys carry at 5 o'clock? That was pretty uncomfortable for me.

2) What is the allen wrench they included used for?

3) How can I cant the holster? Should I cant the holster?
    The only answer to be found to your questions is for you to do some personal experimentation with your CCW combo. I have two CTAC holsters, each for a different pistol, and each of these fits me quite differently. In one I wear the holster high and the other much lower. I find that I like one canted but not the other. Now, this is what works for me and for you, it will probably somewhat different. Make sure that your final choice(s) results in a safe, secure, and comfortable carry situation.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

When I got mine I had similar questions, here's the process that ended up working best for me:
    1) makes sure your pistol is unloaded and an empty mag is in place
    2) put the pistol in the CTAC, place that in your waistband with the belt you plan on using. DO NOT use the clips yet.
    3) Move the holster around until its in a comfortable place. My preference is a low as possible while still being able to get a full grip. Pay attention to cant as well since the front bottom of the grip is what usually prints (for me anyway).
    4) cinch your belt tight enough to hold the holster, check how it looks in the mirror, and check your comfort.
    5) if all is well, take a white crayon and using the top of your belt as a straight edge, mark a line across the holster. A significant other is very useful for this and the previous step.
    6) now take off the holster, secure your pistol.
    7) now try to move the clips so that with the clips mounted on the ruler, the ruler will lay under the line or very close to it.

In case you don't know the labs on your CTAC can be switched with each other to give you more options and cant.

Also if you're so inclined, feel free to modify your holster to suit your needs. For example.

Some have gotten leather from craft shops and made their own custom tabs others have added moleskin to the body side of the holster to enhance comfort.

My modifications:
    I removed extra material from the holster body itself that was unnecessary and uncomfortable. The portion of the holster body above the front sight poked me and was longer than nec to protect the sight, So I carefully cut it off and rounded it. The same for the holster body underneath the muzzle. Now the entire muzzle end of the holster is much more rounded and comfortable.

I switched the tabs on my CTAC but also cut one of them and redrilled the holes to allow for additional cant.

Once I was sure of the "fit" I also cut off the extra holes on one of the clips also.

Finally I carefully measured where my trigger was in the holster and drilled a hole through both sides of the holster large enough to pass a padlock through. I got this idea from the Galco Holster vault. This simple modification means my holster is also a simple and effective means of securing the pistol, including to something immovable depending on what kind of lock I use (like with the cable pistol locks we all have floating around).

Hope that helps you out.

That information does help me. I have tried a lot of different positions w/the C-TAC+XD40 combo. The 2 o'clock position is easy to draw from (appendix carry?) but it is uncomfortable for everyday movement & prints much worse than 5 o'clock carry.

I think I am going to practice w/5 o'clock carry. I have the holster sitting as low (moved the clips) as it can go. Should I cant the holster for 5 o'clock carry?

That information does help me. I have tried a lot of different positions w/the C-TAC+XD40 combo. The 2 o'clock position is easy to draw from (appendix carry?) but it is uncomfortable for everyday movement & prints much worse than 5 o'clock carry.

I think I am going to practice w/5 o'clock carry. I have the holster sitting as low (moved the clips) as it can go. Should I cant the holster for 5 o'clock carry?
    Only you can tell for sure, but usually the further back (higher o'clock) the more cant that is desirable.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Good idea on drilling throught the trigger area of the holster and using as a secure vault - I may do this for biz trips.
    No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.

Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by rhyfl View Post
    Good idea on drilling throught the trigger area of the holster and using as a secure vault - I may do this for biz trips.
    Wasn't a holster like this one of the reasons that pilot accidentally discharged his gun in a plane's cockpit?

Sorry for the hijack.

-JT

You can switch the leather tabs around for an even lower set/cant adjust. I tried it but it didn't work for me.

I wear mine anywhere from 3o'clock (on my right hip) to 5 o'clock, depending on what I'm wearing and my mood.

Also recommend purchasing extra clips (standard). I got a few extras of the standard, j-clips, and c-clips......and the extras came in handy for me when I broke a clip while on vacation in Orlando last weekend.
    The clips are pretty sturdy but they will/can break.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    For me: as it shipped (which, I think, was second hole from the bottom on both of the five-hole thin clips), it worked well right at three o'clock. To wear it comfortably back around four o'clock, I dropped the front tab to the bottom hole and raised the rear tab to the third (middle) hole. That gives it a much steeper cant and keeps the grip tucked into my back much better. I don't think I'd wear it as far around as five o'clock...
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Should I cant the holster for 5 o'clock carry?
    Only you can answer that. I canted the holster for 2 reasons
    1) to get the grip tucked into my body so it would not print
    2) to get the muzzle tucked into the hollow of my gluteous maximus where it not only printed the least but was also the most comfortable.

Again you will have to experiment to see what works for your body and pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by rhyfl View Post
    Thanks! You know once in a while, the engine fires on all cylinders...

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    Wasn't a holster like this one of the reasons that pilot accidentally discharged his gun in a plane's cockpit?
    -JT
    I saw that too, but I never lock the pistol into the holster unless its already fully seated. With it fully seated in the holster the lock fits right behind the trigger. You can't pull the trigger, period.

Now I don't know how the holster in that story fits that pistol or the full circumstances but I'd think that bottom line it's user error/carelessness rather than a design issue like the Glock Fobus Holster issue. My .02

Is it just me or is drawing from four o'clock/five o'clock an arm-twisting exercise? I have my eye on 3,000 practice draws before I carry in public & I may pull a muscle!

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Is it just me or is drawing from four o'clock/five o'clock an arm-twisting exercise? I have my eye on 3,000 practice draws before I carry in public & I may pull a muscle!
    Well, you know, given that my P220 covers several horizontal inches of belt real estate, and the MTAC even more, I always find it hard to decide exactly where o'clock I am wearing it...

I think I would say I carry around four o'clock, and with a strong forward cant I have no trouble drawing it---in fact, I find it easier than drawing from a lesser cant right on the hip (three o'clock), which feels like getting jammed by an inside pitch.

Five or six o'clock would seem pretty tough, though...
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Links