How to Carry a 1911 OWB

This is a discussion on How to Carry a 1911 OWB within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey Guys- I currently carry a SIG 239 in .40, but for all that it is I want to carry a 1911. Why, well it's ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Carry a 1911 OWB

How to Carry a 1911 OWB

Hey Guys-

I currently carry a SIG 239 in .40, but for all that it is I want to carry a 1911. Why, well it's a .45 and it's slim as hell.........

I would like to carry a Gov't model or a commander, I'm not interested in the 3" 1911's.

But I really want to give OWB carry a try other than the holster showing out the bottom of your shirt I dont see where it would be a ton different than carrying IWB just more comfortable.

So how do you guys do it (holster, cover etc.)?

Thanks for any help guys....
    Josh

2. Remove Ads

Get a good holster that rides high like Slide Guard and a good cover garment. I use buttoned down collared shirts with a white T-shirt under to keep the holster and gun off of my skin. High noon holsters was just a suggestion there are many holster makers out there and lots of options for cover garments.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Distinguished Member Array mavrik46's Avatar
    Amen on the good holster and a good belt. I carry either a 4" or a 5". I wear a black t-shirt under and unbuttoned and untucked dress or casual shirt. Never had a problem.
    Greg

It's not what you go thru in life, but how well you go thru it.

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    Get a good belt and a good holster that is high-ride and with an FBI cant to it. Angling it makes for better draw, easier concealment.

“Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

I would suggest a lightweight commander size 1911 with an UBG Bonneville or similar high ride pancake design.

When I carry a 1911 OWB, it's in a Tucker HF1. Because it's warm here in South Texas, I usually wear an unbuttoned short-sleave shirt as a cover garment. The HF1 holds the weapon in tight, so the chance for printing is minimalized. Whatever your holster choice, make sure you don't skimp on the gunbelt, especially when carrying OWB.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Thanks for the advice so far guys keep it coming, I have a good belt but would like to pick up a fairly decently priced holster (read cheap) to try OWB to see if it works for me any advice on budget OWB that might work.

I'm wondering...

If you're worried about the end of the gun being exposed, why go OWB instead of IWB?

If it's because you don't think it will be comfortable enough... A good belt and a good holster will make you forget you're carrying a 5" 1911... I can tell you from experience. - Others will too.

I, myself was worried about the same things you mentioned, but I was convinced by talking with people (mostly here) that a 1911 will, in fact, work. So I tried it and I'm glad I did. I went with HighNoon since they have a no-condition 30 day money-back and expressly state that it can be in worn condition if you want to return it. - but I'm guessing others will do the same... I'm a satisfied customer, but I don't mean to turn this into a HNH commercial. You've said you're looking for a budget holster, and they are certainly not cheap.

So, is there another reason why you don't want to do IWB?

But, to answer your question:
    If you look at any of the Small-Of-Back (SOB) holsters out there, you'll see that most are canted almost 90 degrees straight horizontal, to accomodate reaching all the way around your back. Here's just a quick example ...

You could always buy a SOB and then just carry it at, say the 3:30 or 4 o'clock position, or whereever you wanted.

I just dont like the way IWB feels with my M-Tac and 239 so I wanted to OWB with the 1911 first to see if it works for me, if not I will go IWB again, I am not overly concerned about the gun printing a little or popping out the bottom now and again but I would like to be reasonably hidden as CC and Open carry are legal here.

Yeah, we're on the same page then... (I'm in Va too.)

The SOB pic I put up was just the first one I came across, there are others that are even closer to 90 degrees. Sounds to me like that's what you're looking for... Do you know anybody with one that you could try out? I might have an extra one you could borrow (it might be included in a trade I'm negotiating ... I'll know more tomorrow).

Like Rod, I love the Tucker HF-1, but mine is in plain black. If you want another rock solid, very thin, durable holster, check out Kramer's Horsehide Belt Scabbard. Not cheap, but it will outlast your grandchildren, and he's got a fast turnaround time. While I haven't tried Bluegrass Holsters 1911 holsters, the one Brock made for my G/F's snubby is wonderful.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JCook5003 View Post
    Thanks for the advice so far guys keep it coming, I have a good belt but would like to pick up a fairly decently priced holster (read cheap) to try OWB to see if it works for me any advice on budget OWB that might work.
    I have a Don Hume H721OT for my Glock & it works really well. Here's the cheapest place I've found them.

Don Hume Open Top Belt Holster (H721 OT)

For OWB, I have to concede that a high ride, single-layer pancake, with a good amount of cant (at least 15deg) is the best option.

That said, I have no trouble concealing my Tucker HF-1 rig, but it does require a little fashion forethought:

"Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

Love that carved Tucker set, Ping!
    For all you that have never tried a Tucker HF-1, those are great photos. Standard back pancake slot, but the front is the magic. The flap really sucks it in, and feels like an old Bruce Nelson, but keeps the loop out front for a thinner profile. It also eliminates the need for an additional mouth band to keep it open. I wouldn't recommend his HF-2 though. It's like the above model, but open like a belt slide so you can use any size 1911 (or like model gun) with one holster. I tried one and my sights kept catching. Plus, I like my muzzle protected.

One more I can brag about...my BBQ holster made with Sharkskin from Eric at HBE. Quite a cant, very comfy.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Got to get a kick in for K&D holsters, beautiful rig and it holds close and tight... started a bit squeaky but broke in in short order... Here are a couple of photos

If your not packin' your slackin'

Its better to have and not need than to need and not have, keep it safe but keep it loaded!

USN : Desert Storm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links