Defensive Carry banner

Can I use a VM II for IDPA, or just get something else?

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  siglover 
#1 ·
Since any type of competition will require a lot of re-holstering, would it be okay to use my VM II?

Sparks recommends that you only wear the VM II with the pistol in the holster. So a lot of holstering is probably not a good idea.

I tried a Blackhawk Serpa, but was getting way too much holster wear, way to fast, so I returned it. Which leads me to another question. I know that kydex will wear on my pistols finish more than leather. But is there one that does it very little?

I thought the Serpa would be it, as it holds the pistol by the trigger guard. But it was too much wear for me and the 3 days I owned it.

I copied this from Milt's website...

"To ensure the mouth of the holster retains it shape over time and remains open, we offer the following recommendations.

When putting the holster on or taking it off, it is recommended that the pistol always be in the holster.

It is imperative that the belt never be tightened over the holster without first having the gun in place.

It is not a good idea to remove the gun from the holster while sitting down over extended periods. If you would rather not wear the gun while sitting, then the holster should be removed with the gun.

These recommendations apply not only to the WS-1, but to any IWB holster. "

See less See more
#2 ·
You can use a VM II for IDPA. The holster will be fine. The purpose of the metal reinforced mouth is to hold the holster open so you can reholster.
It will be slower than a straight drop OWB, but it will work just fine.
As for holster wear, I can't help you. If you carry and train with the same gun, day in and day out, it's gonna have some wear.

Good luck. :smile:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.