New Holster

This is a discussion on New Holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Got a Don Hume OWB 721 Holster today. WOW, what a difference it makes, plus I like the leather better than the kydex. When carried ...

Thread: New Holster

New Holster

Got a Don Hume OWB 721 Holster today. WOW, what a difference it makes, plus I like the leather better than the kydex. When carried at the 4:30 position under a white undershirt it conceals fairly well (at least for around the house when someone knocks at the door). I can hardly wait for the UBG Canute holster to show up I can only imagine how nice it's gonna be . Now it's time to draw, draw, draw, draw, draw, draw and, oh yeah, draw some more to break this baby in

bm

2. Remove Ads

I am breaking in my two don hume's as I type this..the one I did last nite with the holster bag trick seems to have helped stretch the leather just a little so I can improve my draw and re-holstering...wax paper did not seem to help too much but I think I will try the sock trick on the other holster tonite for sure.
    Glock 23
    Beretta 92fs
    Ruger Mark 3
    S&W 642
    Looking

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Be careful...a sock can over stretch it...I would double the wax paper first...I use saran wrap as it molds around the gun very well and easy to double up or triple up if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveLeather View Post
    Be careful...a sock can over stretch it...I would double the wax paper first...I use saran wrap as it molds around the gun very well and easy to double up or triple up if needed.
    I agree, go slow...
    Just sitting and drawing and reholstering several hundred times can make a difference...OMO

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Member Array Bluegrass Holsters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I agree, go slow...
    Just sitting and drawing and reholstering several hundred times can make a difference...OMO

Stay armed...stay safe!
    I agree with this method more than any other. Once overstretched it is likely to be a memory without a lot of work from your maker....and a price equal to a new holster.....and then there is no guarantee that it can be fixed.

My preference is that the customer spend some quality grip time with their firearm and leave the bag, etc, to last resort status.

Can't say it enough, take it slow, the most aggressive I could see would be to take a plastic baggie and put the weapon in it, holster it and let it sit over night. I've found it's still tight enough to warrant a session of presenting the weapon from the holster to loosen it up just enough (I probably do a hundred presentations over the course of a couple of evenings).
    Last edited by JayHawker45; March 28th, 2008 at 04:16 PM.
    Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.
    NRA Life Member & JPFO Member.
    Sig & CZ-aholic, a Ruger SP101 3" & Wiley Clapp GP100

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    I'll agree to take it slow. In my own, if the plastic bag or two doesn't help, then I'll add a layer of paper towel inside the bag. It's a baby step, instead of going straight to a sock. I guess if it's a dress sock, it wouldn't be that bad.

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

They are great holsters.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Links