Help me to choose a belt. Thanks.

This is a discussion on Help me to choose a belt. Thanks. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I use an IWB TT Holster for a 5" 1911. I also use an IWB TT Holster for a SIG P225. I need a new ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me to choose a belt. Thanks.

I use an IWB TT Holster for a 5" 1911. I also use an IWB TT Holster for a SIG P225. I need a new 1.5" belt.

I like what I hear on this forum about the Beltman Belts and want to order soon. What one belt would be best for both carry situations? I need a good strong belt for my (heavy) 1911, that will also be adequate for the SIG. Which leather... Horsehide, Bullhide... single or double thickness?

What say you? Thanks.
    225th SAC "Phantom Hawk" - US Army - Vietnam 1969-70

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I would heed others advice, that is yet to come, and at least look at The Beltman belts.

I highly recommend Jim Speidel at The Beltman. I just received my second belt from him yesterday. I now have a 1.5" bullhide for daily wear with jeans and a 1.25" sharkskin for dress wear, both in black.

Both belts are excellent and I haven't had any problems carrying either my Glock 19 or my Springfield Mil-Spec with my 1.5" bullhide. I wore my new sharkskin belt for the first time today but, since I had to be in court, I wasn't able to carry with it. I've also heard very good reports about Jim's horsehide belts but haven't tried them myself yet (I plan to though). The horsehide, as I understand it, is a denser leather that tends to be slightly stiffer with a higher gloss finish than bullhide. Can't really offer any input on the elephant hide belts but I'm sure they're right up there with the rest of his quality.

If you choose bullhide or horse in 1.5" I wouldn't really worry about getting the polymer stiffener, you shouldn't need it until you're carrying a cop's full duty rig on it (gun, mags, cuffs, radio, etc). The stiffener comes standard on his shark and elephant belts (at no additional cost) due to the thinner construction compared to a dual layer bullhide or bull/horse belt.

If you want just one belt that'll be plenty stiff for any handgun, abrasion and scuff resistant, that looks amazing while doing it then I'd say go for a 1.5" sharkskin. If you'd rather save a few bucks but still have a great belt that's plenty strong and stiff, then either the bullhide or horse will serve you well. If you have any really specific questions just drop Jim an email, he's more than willing to offer his advice and he's great to deal with.
    Jack

Distinguished Member
    I have a brand new Rafter S. Shark size 35 tapered front ,if that will fit
    you let me know.

Check this out

banderagunleather.com

This is a slick belt with a holster slot built in.

I have one for my Colt Commander and it works great.

You can decide where you want the slot to be.

No more threading holsters on and off. When not carrying, it is impossible to tell it is anything but a good looking belt..

...Skye...

I just got a 1.75 inch double thickness bullhide from the Beltman.com, and love it. So far I have only used it with an owb holster but it works great. I was debating between the 1.5 and 1.75, but I'm glad I went ahead and ordered the wider one, as I wear jeans almost exclusively and it fits the belt slots. One less thing to move around. The extra bulk and stiffness have not been uncomfortable at all. In fact I've noticed I don't have to cinch the belt as tight as my lesser belts, as the stiffness really helps distribute the weight.

Welcome to the Forum Brad, always glad to see another Tennessean on board.
    Jack

I recommend the Beltman, or Comp-Tac has some nice belts. If you want sturdy and it doesn't have to be leather check out Wilderness Tactical's instructor belt.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

Beltman, Liger, Cabelas has a new double duty belt, Wilderness are good,as well as 5.11. I use a Levi's 1.5" leather belt that works fine for me.

A good belt is a necessity but it really just has to work for you and doesn't need to cost a lot.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I just received a 1 1/2" belt from Comp-Tac and its as nice as anything else I've owned or used. I ordered it on Sunday night and had it by Thursday!

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar

Thumbs up

Hawker, I'm a big TT fan myself. Might want to look at the leather casuals from 511. Have 2 and you can't beat the price, quality or 3-5 day delivery time.

Here's the link.

Belts
    Last edited by Sportsterguy; March 29th, 2008 at 01:31 PM. Reason: addition
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

UBG HOLSTERS

Nate is the best guy to deal with. I use the belt I got from him 7 days a week even when not carrying.

Here's a link to my dealing with Nate and a picture of the belt

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...141-post1.html
    'The assailant chooses the time, location and method of attack.

Since they are unlikely to let you know ahead of time when, where and how violent they're going to be, you should always be prepared.' - matiki

Hey thanks. I appreciate you taking the time to post a note. I'm good to go now. Thank you.

I'm using a beltman belt and a TT IWB holster. Everything is good now.

I can't believe nobody's mentioned Looper leathers kydex reinforced leather belts. These guys will custom make them to your specs, even add velcro lining to work with tuckable velcro clips, use chicago screws instead of snaps, change the number of holes, change the distance between holes, etc.

Did I forget to mention that standard reinforced leather belts are $30? They're a good deal at twice the price. At that price, you can 3 for the price of other guys belts.

Here is there old website:
    KydexBelt

Here is there e-commerce website:
    Looper Reinforced Holster Belt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links