Belts: Looper, Beltman, Wilderness

This is a discussion on Belts: Looper, Beltman, Wilderness within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've got a Wilderness Instructors belt, 1 1/2", 5 stitch model. I am considering a leather belt. The leather belt I have now is a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belts: Looper, Beltman, Wilderness

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar

I've got a Wilderness Instructors belt, 1 1/2", 5 stitch model. I am considering a leather belt. The leather belt I have now is a cheapie gun belt that I got at a local gun show. It is worn out.

I'm looking at the Looper Reinforced Holster belt (with kydex insert) & a Beltman Horsehide in 1 1/2" without insert. Does anybody have experience with both of these belts?

I know the Beltman is probably more pleasing to the eye, but are the Looper & Beltman equal in function & stiffness?

The Looper is $30, Beltman about $90. The Looper link is below.

Thanks!

Looper Reinforced Holster Belt

I wear a Looper, it's hard to beat. No way it ever crush or fold. Very good quality.

I own all 3 and prefer Beltman's over Looper. I like the Looper because it is cheap and well made but what bothers me is that Looper uses snaps to hold the buckle in vs screws that most othewrs use. The snaps have sometimes come undone on my Looper belts. Wilderness is a good weekend belt with jeans/Khakis.

I have a Beltman 1.5" Horsehide belt without the stiffener. I carry IWB all day every day and occasionally I carry a 4" S&W 586 OWB and the belt doesn't sag at all. It's everything one could want in a gun belt. Definitely worth every penny. I did have to order 1.75" loops for my Milt Sparks VM2 as Beltman belts are a bit thick.

Quote Originally Posted by longo244 View Post
    I did have to order 1.75" loops for my Milt Sparks VM2 as Beltman belts are a bit thick.
    That would be a dealbreaker, if that's true for all holsters, not just VM2. For example, I have scabbard OWB holsters where your compensatory maneuver wouldn't be possible. I also have a FIST and TT IWB that are more or less imitations of a VM2...

This kind of thing makes me wonder about these uber-thick belts.

kpw
    Take a look at UBG's belts. Mine is a bit thinner than most of my other belts but is still very stiff. It's probably my favorite belt as it gets worn most often. I think they are still $60. I keep thinking of a Beltman horsehide but if they are that thick, I'll just go with UBG.

I followed the link to Looper's site. It appears to be a decent belt although screws to hold the buckle would be preferable to the snaps.

They do need to proofread their site (with a spell-checker). What are "golves"? (Plural of golf?)
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Just looked at the Looper site, whats the width on their belt? Couldn't find that info.

KydexBelt

Better link to Looper's Leather website. The Kydex belt is awesome and available in many widths.

I have two Beltman 1.5" bullhide belts w/ out stiffener and have yet had any issues with holster fit designed for such size. That would include VM2, W6, MCV, PCH, ARG, PDL, etc. etc.
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

I have a 1.75 width double thickness Beltman belt and have had no problems with threading on holsters. They do stay where you position them, which is a good thing. I also have a Wilderness Frequent Flyer belt, 5-stitch, no stiffener, which is very comfortable and holds a lightweight gun easily. If I order another I will probably go with the stiffener, though. I also have to thread it through my belt loops "Backwards," as the tail with the velcro end interferes with holster placement if I thread it like a normal belt.

I've never seen anyone else post about wearing their wilderness belt "backwards", but that is the same thing I do when wearing a wilderness. Velcro end gets in the way of OWB holster but not really with IWB cause you can velcro it over the clips. I prefer leather in most cases, but the 5 stitch wilderness certainly has a niche it fills perfectly in some situations.

I have a Beltman 1.5" Horsehide belt without the stiffener. I carry IWB all day every day and occasionally I carry a 4" S&W 586 OWB and the belt doesn't sag at all. It's everything one could want in a gun belt. Definitely worth every penny. I did have to order 1.75" loops for my Milt Sparks VM2 as Beltman belts are a bit thick.
    Thats weird. I use a Sparks VMII and an Eagle Defender from K&D, and a beltman belt, all three are 1.5" and they fit perfect. My belt is the bullhide, don't know if that makes a difference.
    Glock 26 4gen, H&K USPc, S&W 642, Wilson Combat 1911 CQB

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    When I PM'd Tony Kaneley about my loops not being big enough on my Sparks EC (with SS2 loops) he suggested that I loop it through my belt & leave it that way for a while to stretch out the leather a bit. I left it that way for a weekend, problem fixed.

I'm very happy with my Beltman bullhide belts, all three of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links