Defensive Carry banner

Carrying the SR9 Part 2 of 3: The Crossbreed Supertuck IWB

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  bps3040 
#1 ·
Okay...I promise to TRY not to make this as long-winded as Part 1 of 3.

Okay, I got my gun, and I was ready for a holster. One problem: the SR9 is still relatively new, and there are precious few holster makers with a holster specifically for the SR9.

I knew I definitely wanted an IWB holster, as I would likely be carrying this to work, which kinda sorta technically isn't allowed, per company policy. Shh.

Leather was my first thought, as I didn't see how kydex could be a comfortable option for IWB. Leather, however, is fairly expensive, in general. Also, many of the more popular makers had a VERY long wait. I didn't want to go with an el cheapo while I waited, either. Plus, as mentioned above, not many people were advertising holsters specifically for the SR9 when I started looking.

My instructor showed me his holster one day...a modified Crossbreed Supertuck. I say modified, because he did the 'combat grip' cut himself, as well as cut down some of the leather a little bit, because he's of fairly small stature, and there was too much for his smaller frame. I've seen the holster online before, but it was nice to see it in person. I actually tried it on, which was a bit odd, as my instructor is left handed. Still, despite being on the wrong side (for me), it felt VERY comfortable. More to the point, I hardly felt it at all. Ultimately, that, and the many positive reviews I've read here, sold me on the Crossbreed.

Unfortunately, I placed my order fairly recently, and the usual 2-3 week wait was now 3-4, due to increasing popularity and demand, I imagine :smile: Still, that was MUCH better than the waiting period I've seen for the more popular leather holster makers, and the price was really good as well. I ended up ordering a black Supertuck, with no other options other than an extra set of J-clips. We paid via PayPal.

The only "issue" I had with the order was lack of automated updates, and that the order update link provided in the confirmation e-mail was never updated. However, it's a simple matter to e-mail Mark and get an update. Don't PM him as I did. :nono:

The day Mark replied to my order update request, the holster arrived at my house. Go fig. :smile:

With the holster came my extra J-clips, a paper catalog, order invoice, a 'thank you' letter that also acts as the proof of purchase, retention modification instructions, and a NRA membership application.

The holster had my name written in the back in pen. Without wearing it, the SR9 slides into the holster easily, and while it is slightly retained by the trigger guard and ejection port, it's not particularly tight. However, when wearing the holster, the fit is VERY tight, yet not so much that it impairs the draw or reholster.

The holster itself is a very simple design: merely a kydex shell riveted to a piece of leather. I like simple. To me, simple very often equates to EFFECTIVE. And that's just what this holster is: a VERY effective...and COMFORTABLE...IWB carry option.

So that I don't take the thunder away from my intended third part to this series, I will just say that the holster is VERY comfortable to wear. Without the gun, it's barely noticeable...though, admittedly, wearing the holster without the gun if fairly silly. With the gun, it's a matter of adjusting cant and belt position to find out where the gun will fit most comfortably. The sight channel clears the front sight AND the SR9's loaded chamber indicator easily, and there the draw and reholster is very smooth and easy. The leather backing is very comfortable, either directly against the skin or with an undershirt. The rivets used to hold the kydex and the screws to hold the clips are not felt at all. I haven't given tucking a serious go yet, but my quick attempt indicates that it can and will be effective concealment, if not a little difficult to actually set up. Someone here has mentioned a spatula to aid in that. As goofy as that sounds, it may actually help. Though carrying a spatula around would tend to make one noticed.

A very good product, a very good buy, with very good service. I'm planning on buying my gun belt from Crossbreed as well, in the near future.

Oh, here's a pic:

Holy crap...so much from keeping this long-winded.

-JT

See less See more
#3 ·
I received mine..last Monday I think. Very comfy. Have not received my permit yet so just practicing with it. But I have been wearing it at work, on and off, and know one has noticed. I mailed it to there so I figured they would be looking, lol, but even my bus. partner who is getting into guns has not noticed. So, I am working on the right cant...but comfy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.