5 oclock carry

5 oclock carry

This is a discussion on 5 oclock carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i just bought a sig 229 for cc. im 5ft 8 and 150 lbs i was thinking about a iwb holster at 5 oclock. with ...

Thread: 5 oclock carry

5 oclock carry

i just bought a sig 229 for cc. im 5ft 8 and 150 lbs i was thinking about a iwb holster at 5 oclock. with summer coming on it will be jeans and t shirts. any ideas or suggestions? my last cc was a sw 642 so the 229 is going to require rethinking.

get a galco iwb summer holster
    very nice and comfortable..concele's weapon very nice
    Glock 23
    Beretta 92fs
    Ruger Mark 3
    S&W 642
    Looking

VIP Member
    I can carry a SIG P-220 concealed by a tee shirt using a VersaMax-II. I carry at about 4:00 and the grip stays close to my back.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Administrator
    For OWB carry behind the hip - the secret is a good gun belt and a high quality holster that pulls the firearm in close. At least a 15 degree cant to the holstered fiream also helps.
    Darker colored oversize t-shirts are also a good help.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Good belt...good quality IWB holster...loose T-shirt...no problem.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Pretty far back...try 3-4:00.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Pretty far back...try 3-4:00.
    +1. IMO, 5 o'clock is too far back. I think 1 to 3:30 affords the best access. With a cant, I agree with 3-4:00.

As a first holster, I don't think you can go wrong with a good belt and a K&D IWB Defender that has an adjustable set-up so you can find your sweet spot. All of this is highly individualized, if it's comfortable and you carry your gun then it's perfect.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Administrator
    I carry at 3:30 OWB with decent cant under an oversize "T" (good gun bet and rig) & that works out just fine for me.
    I've carried that way for years & it's comfortable and quick to draw from that location.
    Of course if my right arm is totally incapacitated that's somewhat of a problem which necessitates having a reliable BUG over on the support side.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Member Array Bluegrass Holsters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jerbur6 View Post
    i just bought a sig 229 for cc. im 5ft 8 and 150 lbs i was thinking about a iwb holster at 5 oclock. with summer coming on it will be jeans and t shirts. any ideas or suggestions? my last cc was a sw 642 so the 229 is going to require rethinking.
    Just a few thoughts from not only a holster maker, but one who has had need to carry for many years, not only can you successfully pull off carrying your 229, but you can do it in an OWB.

Many folks try the IWB because it intuitively appears and sounds to be the best way to conceal, only to find that it is uncomfortable within a short period of time. Yes, it is easier to conceal, but many IWB's can lead to point tenderness in the hip area making long term wear painful and distracting.

My suggestion would involve NOT carrying so far back. I constantly carry at 3:00 and can cover my 228, M&P, Glocks, etc, under a light t-shirt. The trick is to get a t-shirt which can be stretched a bit after being put on (one in dark colors is better), or one which is a size larger. Now, to tackle the problem of some t-shirts not being long enough I suggest looking for "tall" versions. This will only add a couple inches typically and yet will help prevent holster peak when lifting your arm.

Another reason for carrying at the 3:00 position is that you have your natural arm motions to assist in concealment. Moving back to 4:00 positions lessens this but is a useful alternative for those with bony hips. I would not suggest any further back for a variety of safety and tactical matters.

If you would like to discuss your situation further I would be happy to contact you at your convenience. PM or email if you are interested.

Another reason for carrying at the 3:00 position is that you have your natural arm motions to assist in concealment. Moving back to 4:00 positions lessens this but is a useful alternative for those with bony hips. I would not suggest any further back for a variety of safety and tactical matters.
    ++
    Ever tried bending over to pick up something you've dropped while carrying behind the hip past say 3:30? For a right hand strong side--the butt of the pistol will stick out like a flagpole under a t-shirt. Try getting into/driving a vehicle with anything past 4 o'clock. Just my .02˘

IWB, I like 5 o’clock, OWB I prefer 4 o’clock; and always with a 15% degree FBI forward cant.

The only problem is driving a vehicle is a little bit inconvenient, but it puts the sidearm in the same general place, and offers the best concealment.

There are a bunch a distinguished quality holsters available, and lately I’ve been buying mine from manufactures that participate and or buy ads in this forum.

I do not have the patients to buy from those manufactures who have a year or six month backlog. And in my experience, while there quality is absolute, I don’t find them that much better.

Links