I want to get a belt

This is a discussion on I want to get a belt within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I want to get a belt for my husband for his birthday, but I don't have any idea what kind or anything else I should ...

Thread: I want to get a belt

I want to get a belt

I want to get a belt for my husband for his birthday, but I don't have any idea what kind or anything else I should know about it. I went to beltman's web site so I know to take a measurement, but I want it to be a surprise. Any ideas on how I can do this without making him suspicious? I know his pant size, would that help?

TDPalmer

2. Remove Ads

Does he have a belt he uses regularly now? If so, you may be able to tell what hole he usually uses by creases/wear.

-JT

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    +1 on that. Remember, different makers ask for the measurement different ways (depends on what part of the buckle they want you to measure from), but they all want you to measure off of a belt.

If you have to end up guessing (hopefully you won't), you'd probably go 2" above the pants waist (or 3--4" if you need room for IWB).
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

+1 to what's been said so far.

Whatever you do, don't use his pants as a size reference. Get a hold of one of his belts and measure it per the beltmans instructions.

My belt size is 3" bigger than my pant size. YMMV.

My belt is around 3 inches bigger than my pants size. Remember, it's better to go bigger since the Beltman can reduce belt sizes (on certain models)

I agree with all of the above, and if you buy the 7 hole belt from the Beltman it will be easier for them to fit since they are 3/4" apart.

Another suggestion, try to see what hole his belt is notched in and measure it when the belt is laying around. Wash day is a good time.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

I can try to merasure the belt, but he wears it everyday. Do you guys recommend the bull hide or horse hide? Thanks for the info on the seven holes rather than five, that was a question I had.

TDPalmer

I like horsehide belts and holsters. They will last forever.
    Doesn't this guy ever sleep? When he's snoring away, get his belt and measure it per the maker's instructions. NOTE...not all belt makers measure the same way. Read their requirements first! Don't forget to order the right width. Most of us carry a 1.5" belt, but if his holsters are cut for a 1.25" or 1.75", he won't be happy.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Also measure the width - a 1 1/4" works with suits and casual pants, 1 1/2" with jeans - etc. - that will be an important dimension to measure. Drug him....that let ya measure! Whoops - AZ Husker already said that!
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

I got his measurment last night while he slept. Yeah, one step down. Now for horse or bull, and the width. I think I will go with the standard 1.5. He normaly buyes right off the shelf, and 1.5 is standard right? He is 6' tall and about 210# I think anything smaller would not look right.

TDPalmer

I hope he doesn't read this thread either.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    A 1.5" will fit pretty much everything. I personally like wearing a wider belt with my dress pants. I hate dress belts...

I have the Beltman's double-width bullhide and I love it. Very comfortable. I haven't had horsehide, so I can't compare, I am afraid.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    I would go with a Beltman Horsehide in 1 1/2" width. It is slightly thinner, but stronger. It's also more scuff resistant than cow or bull.

What are his holster slots?
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Links