A few clarifying questions.

This is a discussion on A few clarifying questions. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There are many posts on the difference on concealed and printing. I am sure am in for a surprise when I get my permit but ...

Thread: A few clarifying questions.

There are many posts on the difference on concealed and printing.
    I am sure am in for a surprise when I get my permit but regardless off how expensive holster you get, will you ever be able to remove all printing?!

And off all the holsters out there,if you buy a reasonable known brand in a good price range,ARE there any major difference out there?
    To me it just seem to be separated by body difference and how they come out on the various buyer..

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Daniella,

You probably want to ask this question in the holsters forum, you are more likely to get an answer there.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Quote Originally Posted by Daniella View Post
    I am sure am in for a surprise when I get my permit but regardless off how expensive holster you get, will you ever be able to remove all printing?!

And off all the holsters out there,if you buy a reasonable known brand in a good price range,ARE there any major difference out there?
    To me it just seem to be separated by body difference and how they come out on the various buyer..
    I can only give you my personal opinion which is based on my personal experience. Will you ever be able to remove all printing? I think so but, to do that, it is up to you to make whatever personal, clothing, and other concessions necessary to do that. If that means wearing trousers in a larger size or cut then that is what you must do. If it means adopting a different means or strategy of personal dress (e.g. untucked shirt, longer jacket, etc.) then that is what you must to. If you aren't willing to make those kinds of changes then printing will probably occur.

You will find a lot of posters mentioning their box full of holsters. Part of the reason for that is we are all built somewhat differently. Normally, buying a quality holster will result in a satisfactory fit - but not always! To reach a point where your carry is safe, comfortable, and secure may/probably/ will require some personal experimentation on your part. One size does not necessarily fit all regardless of the price range in which you buy a concealed carry holster. Good luck and have fun.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Move thread to holster forum.
    There are only so many types. styles ect of holster. some of the brands are made with better materials, more care and craftsmanship.
    All holsters will probably print some , even wearing really baggy clothing. The printing is minimized by a good holster tucking the gun close to the body .
    Various mounting systems make a difference too. Clips, straps or slots all affect how a holster rides. Picking what works best for you is the trick.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

As to your first question, probably not. If you expect “no printing” at all you can’t carry a gun or have it so deeply concealed as to render it useless. You have a hunk of iron, some large, some small hanging somewhere on your belt line. Different holsters cover or hide the gun better than others. Different cloths in different climates make concealing better than others. I have found that the vast majority of the world is not looking. They don’t care, they don’t expect people to carry guns, and it is not in their realm of thinking. As to your second question I prefer the tuckable type holsters. The ones you can tuck a shirt in between the inside of your pants waist and the holster. There is still a clip exposed but you can pull your shirt out to cover up the “lump” at your waist better.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

If you don’t want to print, you can change your whole wardrobe to accommodate your gun. Longer shirts, bigger pants ect…

For most people this is not a option, for me I don’t want to change my look. I wear a polo shirt or a dress shirt everyday with a pair of jeans. I am sure I print once in a while but it’s so minimal nobody is going to know or question me. People who are new to carrying worry about printing simply because they are not use to having a gun on them. Think about every time you have been out around town, have you ever noticed someone else with a firearm? Generally you are not going to notice innless you know what to look for.

There is no right holster out there, everyone is built different and have different dressing styles. Most people have a drawer full of holsters that they use for certain situations and the ones they no longer use. It looks like its time to start filling yours up.
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

Member Array Bluegrass Holsters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniella View Post

Good holsters are good holsters....the difference in a waiting period if any and the weight of the leather used. Lighter weight leathers will loose their shape and inherent retention from molding faster than a heavier weight will....on the other hand you can get leather so thick that you will swear the cow is still attached.

Example...I use the industry standard 8-9 oz. leather. it makes molding somewhat more of a chore than something lighter, however, it is my opinion that is the perfect weight for a holster. My waiting time is still about two weeks with delivery typically within the same month you order and that is a truly custom holster made specifically for you.

As for the holster box....that comes in part because some folks use a holster long enough to decide they don't like it....or until an order arrives from another holster maker they decide is somewhat better. We all have our favorites...this being said I do not want to assist a customer in building their box or adding to it, so I have a "inspection period" designed to allow the customer a chance to decide whether they want to keep the holster. There are conditions of course, but at least you know you are not fully on the hook for something you do not want to keep. Additionally, I have a warranty on my holsters so that you can be assured that the construction and materials are going to last.

Order from me, Nate, Kevin, Sparks, Alessi, Rosen...all good holsters and you will not go wrong.

As for printing....you will either dress around the gun allowing a huge reduction in printing, or you will carry based on your wardrobe of the day. Either works well. Most of us who have different handguns will do the same. Today it is one model of Sig, tomorrow it might be another weapon entirely. The only caveat here is to keep the same manual-of-arms in all that you carry so that your training kicks in appropriately if needed.

Another note to remember is that most members of the general public could not spot a firearm related bulge if it bit them in the rear end. I could carry a tank under a t-shirt and most of the sheeple will never spend a second looking at me. Folks used to firearms might notice, but not all. A buddy of mine asked why I wasn't carrying a few days ago....that was until I showed him a full size firearm and a smaller backup. Point is, do not be preoccupied with printing. some little bulge here or there will occur. Plan instead to keep it covered so that routine activity will not display your firearm needlessly.

I hope this helps.

You will always print. Some worse than others, but you will always print. The baggier the shirt, the better.

All good advice. BUT no matter what works for someone else, you won't know if it works for you, until you try it. A trial period from the maker is a very good thing, when searching for the RIGHT holster. What looks good in the store, on the website or in the catalog may not feel good when it's on your belt and holding your gun at your side.
    Avoid going cheap or just making do. Buy a quality holster and you won't be sorry down the road. Many great ones can be had for $100 or less. K&D, Andrews, UBG, Comp Tac and High Noon are some of the ones I've bought and been very happy with. Finding the right gun and how to carry it comfortably, so you WILL carry it, can take some trial and error, but it is the only way to find what is right for you. Continue your research and good luck. There is a lot of good information on this forum. Check out the MEGA holster maker list too. Lots to choose from.

id say the holster doesnt have anywhere nears as much effect on printing as the gun and the clothes do. yes. u can carry without printing, you just gotta figure out how. of course some holsters make this impossible, but most iwb holsters the difference is very little. the differences between holsters is more comfort and quality.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Most people wouldn't notice the slight bulge of a gun grip pushing against a shirt ,also you gotta look for it i'm left handed so if you're looking where a right hander might carry you won't see mine,also i cary in a way that unless the wind blows against my shirt pretty hard or i bend over to touch my toes i won't print and even then it will probably be almost unnoticeable.most people thik a shirt bulge is a cell phone or iphone or sumpin like that
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links