Thunder or Smart Carry questions

This is a discussion on Thunder or Smart Carry questions within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here is the deal. I work in a job that the policy is "officially" no weapons allowed. I had an interesting talk with my supervisor, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thunder or Smart Carry questions

Thunder or Smart Carry questions

Here is the deal. I work in a job that the policy is "officially" no weapons allowed. I had an interesting talk with my supervisor, and although he does not carry himself, he stated that so long as he never sees it, he can't do anything about it. (Or get reports that I am carrying).

So, I do have a P3AT that I pocket carry all the time, but due to my job I need something "deeper". The only thing I can come up that provides the absolute secrecy/concealment that I need is the thunder wear or smartcarry options.

So, here are the questions. Is it comfortable? Is the weapon fully secured? I am a true believer in keeping the trigger covered until the weapon is drawn. All my carry options to this point keep the trigger covered until I have a firm grip on the grip, and starting the draw. Does smartcarry/thunderwear allow this option?

Is this truly viable option that provides the best safety, and comfort? (I am a heavy guy that sits a lot on the job.)

This mode of carry would only be for "on the job". Please don't suggest any other form of carry as the question is regarding smartcarry, or thunderwear.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    I carry an M&P 45 (4.5" barrel) in a SmartCarry holster. The only time I am reminded I am carrying is when I change positions. Adjustments look like I'm just pulling my pants up. I sit a lot, drive a lot and stand a lot. I am comfortable in all modes. I wear with suits, slacks and jeans.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Iwb! Jmo!

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
    Iwb! Jmo!
    Please realize that I have carried for well over 10 years and have considered every possible way to carry with 100% assurance of it not being discovered. Due to my work environment I can not be 100% assured that other forms of carry would not detected. So, please stick to the original discussion regarding Smart Carry or Thunderwear.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

I wear mine daily for around 16 hours. I find it to be VERY comfortable and never think about it being there. My only warning for you would be in the bathroom. If your work has stalls the people in the bathroom with you will hear the velcro ripping sound when you undo it to take care of "number 2" and will wonder what the heck was that? I was asked once and I said it was my back brace and they never new the better.

I have a smart carry in which I have carried a P3AT some times and a S&W J-Frame most of the time. I sit, stand, walk, while at work and no knows that I am carrying. I will be trying it with a Para-Ord, Carry 9 and I expect that it will work just fine. I wear pants that are pleated in front to help cover the grip portion of the gun. I stand 5'11" and weigh 165lbs. so grips do stand out somewhat. (Iam just to skinny)(I do eat my share of donuts). For DEEP concealment the Smart Carry or Thunderwear are the best bet. With a little practise you can access the gun very fast. (Make sure it is unloaded when practising). I very much prefer an IWB holster, but while at work, deep concealment is top priority.

For deep carry and with that small of a gun.....Get One!!! You will not be disappointed. It will be comfortable with that small of a gun and nobody will ever know. I speak from experience.
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

My summer carry rig is a smartcarry and Taurus 617 wheelgun. Usually forget I have it on. Very comfortable with a small gun. Could never get used to my 1911's or a glock in it though.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

It sould be noted that you don't have to unfasten the velcro with SmartCarry if you have to sit down. Just slide the entire thing up past your belly toward your chest and then do what you have to do.
    I have the medium size and carry a J frame or Ultra CDP with good comfort. For your situation you can by all means get a smaller one to carry the P32. Ask Charlie at SmartCarry and he will recommend the size you need. But, you do need to have in mind if you want it only for the P32 with which you could be by with an extra small. With the small, you could carry the P32 or a J frame.

I'm about 5'11" 170lb and carry an XD9 4" in a SmartCarry.

If you ever forget it's there, which will happen at sometime, and you sit down weird, it can definitely be uncomfortable.

Going to the restroom isn't very hard, but just like with your carry gun, you should practice in private before ever try to draw in front of somebody.

I find it fairly comfortable, not as comfortable as IWB, but if somebody knew I had a gun at w@#k, I might as well drop my badge off at the gate.

For very deep concealment, there is nothing better. With a smaller gun, or slimmer frame, I am sure it would be much more comfortable. Even as it is, I find it comfortable, but with a larger gun you are going to have to adjust yourself sometimes. With your choice of carry I think you will be extremely happy.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by ccoorreeyy View Post
    I wear mine daily for around 16 hours. I find it to be VERY comfortable and never think about it being there. My only warning for you would be in the bathroom. If your work has stalls the people in the bathroom with you will hear the velcro ripping sound when you undo it to take care of "number 2" and will wonder what the heck was that? I was asked once and I said it was my back brace and they never new the better.
    I do not undo the velcro. I pull it down with my underwear and hang both from my knees with my pants covering. Even door crack peekers don't see anything. And drawing is mighty quick.
    Howard

I have the Smartcarry and also P3at which works very well together. Never had any problems, my work also has a no carry policy.
    ** NRA Life Member***

Colt Defender .45
    Kel-Tec .380

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day.

I forgot to mention in my original post that Charlie (SmartCarry) gives you a 60 day money back guarantee. The cost of a test is very low.
    Howard

"Pull it up over my tummy" That's never going to happen!!
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

A buddy of mine has a smartcarry and he absolutely loves it. He's a lot smaller than I but he can easily access it quickly if needed, and when he is wearing it it's totally unnoticeable. He's carried for the past few years that I've known him and I did not know he did until last week when I talked to him about purchasing his firearm.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links