need help as a first time carrier

This is a discussion on need help as a first time carrier within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently started carrying and I am a woman and I need help. My boyfriend doesn't like the purse carring option. He thought he could ...

Thread: need help as a first time carrier

I recently started carrying and I am a woman and I need help. My boyfriend doesn't like the purse carring option. He thought he could deal with it but can't. He even bought me a coronado purse. I didn't like the purse and he didn't feel comfortable with it. So he bought me a milt sparks holster for an IWB, and I love it. I really don't feel like I am carrying.
    However, where I am comfortable carrying it almost seems like I would have to struggle to get it out if I ever need it. What do other women do? What is the best way to carry in the summer with a kahr CW9? I am 5'3" (on a good day) and weigh about 130. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    You might check out Cornered Cat. She has an extensive web site on the issues of concealed carry for women.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Lima will be here shortly, she looks pretty small, and she carries a 5" 1911!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by keely110707 View Post
    I recently started carrying and I am a woman and I need help. My boyfriend doesn't like the purse carring option. He thought he could deal with it but can't. He even bought me a coronado purse. I didn't like the purse and he didn't feel comfortable with it. So he bought me a milt sparks holster for an IWB, and I love it. I really don't feel like I am carrying.
    However, where I am comfortable carrying it almost seems like I would have to struggle to get it out if I ever need it. What do other women do? What is the best way to carry in the summer with a kahr CW9? I am 5'3" (on a good day) and weigh about 130. Any suggestions would be helpful.
    Where are you wearing the IWB? My guess is that you are carrying not quite at the center of your back, but slightly to the right of center (assuming your right handed) and that you find yourself having to reach to far for the gun?

The IWB is really the best option for normal concealment pending on clothing options, the trick is just getting one that rides right just behind the point of the hip, at what would usually be called the 3:30-4:30 position. The Milt Sparks rigs are fantastic, but they do not fit every one the same.

You might have success with a SmartCarry, but IMHO those are only good for deep concealment, and FOR ME would be too hard to draw from in an emergency.

How do you feel about Kydex? Comp-Tac makes some IWBs that are a little more flexible in their adjustment with how they ride on the pants.

Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    Lima will be here shortly, she looks pretty small, and she carries a 5" 1911!
    Actually, she carries a 4.1" 1911 regularly. The pictures of her with the 5" was just to prove that she could.

+1 for Cornered Cat and limatunes.

IWB is great, but I think most of them aren't designed with a woman's figure in mind, so some adjustments to carrying position are usually necessary.

I think you've come to the right place for advice.

-JT

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Where are you wearing the IWB? My guess is that you are carrying not quite at the center of your back, but slightly to the right of center (assuming your right handed) and that you find yourself having to reach to far for the gun?

The IWB is really the best option for normal concealment pending on clothing options, the trick is just getting one that rides right just behind the point of the hip, at what would usually be called the 3:30-4:30 position. The Milt Sparks rigs are fantastic, but they do not fit every one the same.

I love my holster, but you are right. I was probably carrying it to far back. Next time I carry I will attempt to move it up further. Being new to it all I need some patience in expecting that it takes time to figure everything out.

JD
    Administrator
    I love my holster, but you are right. I was probably carrying it to far back. Next time I carry I will attempt to move it up further. Being new to it all I need some patience in expecting that it takes time to figure everything out.
    Be patient, just be thankful that you have a good holster to start with, having a not so good of holster starting out is quite frustrating.

The closer to the small of the back the holster goes, the more cant (angle that the gun is held at it the holster) it needs, having a holster that's made to be carried strong side, or just behind the hip like most of the Sparks line won't have enough cant when carried closer to the small of the back.

I'd definitely suggest trying to get the holster as close to the point of the hip as possible. This can sometimes be an issue for women as the shape of the hip will push the but of the gun into your side making it uncomfortable. Unfortunately, if you want to go IWB, most IWB holsters will cause this problem. Obviously this all depends on body type, type of gun, and exact holster. The bad thing holsters in general, is that there's a lot of trail and error in finding that one rig that works the best for you.

I think that what may be the ticket, is to order a holster from a maker that will allow you to request more cant so that the IWB rig can be worn between the small of your back and the hip and have more ease to reach the firearm and aid your draw stroke.

If you haven't found the link yet, there is a Mega Holster-Makers Links section under Forum Help & Extras in the upper right corner of the screen

Member Array Bluegrass Holsters's Avatar
    PM sent

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Well, you can carry it farther back, but then it will need to be at a steeper angle to make it easier to grab and draw. The Comp-Tac MTAC is pretty adjustable and a very comfortable IWB holster; on the other hand, it is kind of wide, which might be a problem for you having a smaller waist.

There is a thread on here where bluedaisy (I think) was talking up some of the High Noon holsters she liked...

Edit: Here's the thread: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-holsters.html
    Last edited by kazzaerexys; April 2nd, 2008 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Added thread link.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Check out the writings of Paxton Quigley. She's fairly knowledgeable about firearms and self-defense.

Another book I found reasonably useful is: Effective Defense, by Gila Hayes.

A few additional links: click.

Women And Guns.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Be patient, just be thankful that you have a good holster to start with, having a not so good of holster starting out is quite frustrating.

The bad thing holsters in general, is that there's a lot of trail and error in finding that one rig that works the best for you.

If you haven't found the link yet, there is a Mega Holster-Makers Links section under Forum Help & Extras in the upper right corner of the screen
    I understand the whole trial and error thing with holsters as I have about 10 sitting on the headboard now.

If you have a pocket holster, you can position your gun in it (unloaded and in the privacy of your home) in various areas along the beltline at various cants to see what positions might be comfortable. This is (obviously) not a viable carrry option, but I have found it helpful to give me an idea of where the gun is concealable and where it is not, what cants I like and dislike, which direction I prefer the butt face, and therefore what types of holsters to investigate further.

My sewing machine is strong enough to punch through vinyl and I'm often tempted to just make my own iwb out of my pocket holster (and perhaps might someday). To my knowledge there is no law against "customizing" a brandname holster!

If you have a VM2, it will need to be broken in by using it.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

With a smaller gun, you might be happier with a high-riding OWB like the super thin horsehide Belt Scabbard from Kramer. Not much harder to hide since there is not a lot of gun hanging below the beltline. I'm all IWB, but it is harder for most women. As far as getting the gun out, practice. Stand at home, draw and shoot the bad guy on TV (after double checking for an unloaded weapon).
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Links