IWB or OWB ? which ? why?

This is a discussion on IWB or OWB ? which ? why? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm curious just how many people carry IWB verses OWB or vice a versa ? It seems like a few years ago paddle holsters were ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IWB or OWB ? which ? why?

I'm curious just how many people carry IWB verses OWB or vice a versa ? It seems like a few years ago paddle holsters were the thing to have . Now alot have gone to IWB carry . I curious if you carry OWB what style or type of holster you use ? The same goes with IWB ? Also would like to know why you picked one or the other ?

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    I think there are several parameters to consider for your choice.

What size weapon must be accomodated?
    e.g. I must accomodate a full size 45

What kind of wardrobes must be accomodated?
    e.g. I must accomodate suite to jeans but not shorts (I hate shorts)

What kind of body form?
    e.g. I am 5' 9", 190 lbs (tummy and spare tire)

What kind of social situations must be accomodated?
    e.g. I must accomodate social and family hugging, roughhousing and snuggling with grandchildren

My solution is the SmartCarry. Gun holsters concealed by SmartCarry concealed holsters

Good luck in your journey.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

I am strictly IWB...maybe if i am in the barn i wil use OWB method. But believe it or don't my Brommeland Max-con IV (IWB) is more comfortable than my DOn Hume OWB holster.
    Just throw on a cover shirt/garment and I am good to go.
    Once a year I will have a need for my shoulder rig but not much more than that will my IWB not be sufficient and since that is what I train with it seems the wisest choice for me.
    The IWB is just that much more concealed of a method...more then half the gun is hidden so .... and I carry a 5" 1911.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

I generally like pancake style IWB and OWB for larger guns. My two holsters I use the most are The Slide and Double Clip/Snap. For larger gun the pancake pulls the gun closer for OWB and smooths out IWB bulge of the gun and makes it more comfortable. For appendix carry with j-frames or smaller guns then my Minimal Clip/snap works well.

Hope this helps.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

IWB, either strong side or appendix carry. G19/23 is what I carry now. Have carried a XD45 that way as well

OWB prints too much for my liking.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Unless I am out hunting with a Rifle or Shotgun I most likely am carrying IWB.

If out hunting then I will use an OWB Holster. I have one frequently carried gun that I have an OWB Holster for. That is my 4" N-Frame that I have a Matt Del Fatti OWB for. I also have a Sparks Summer Special II for the gun and use that most often.

I find IWB to be more concealable and comfortable to me. I've been doing it for over twenty years and prefer to carry "full size" handguns and a smaller BUG, as well as reloads. Outside of my SASS Rig I only own two OWB Holsters. One is the previously mentioned Del Fatti, the other is an Uncle Mike's.

Biker

The way I see it; You have to trade access (which is always good) for concealment, which may, or may not bee needed.

I am in an environment that requires total concealment. So I have to use a IWB that is tuckable: a system that is not as accessible as a normal IWB, let alone an OWB.

When I don't need that much concealment, I use paddle holster. - A much more accessible holster.

IWB is much more comfortable to me with a 1911. The gun is secure, everything below the beltline is concealed, and it's held tight to by body. OWB with a good holster is a close second, but I find myself getting poked by the muzzle or grips more than inside. I never could get used to a floppy paddle holster or clip-on. I want my gun in one place all the time.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Husker,
    I carry a full sized 1911 (at times... sometimes an officer's... but either way), so I know what you mean about floppy holsters... BUT

It hasn't flopped a bit since I got a nice belt. (with a kydex liner). I've got a couple of cheap ones that have made a big difference... So I can't wait until my beltman order arrives.

I've got a few nice Galco paddles for some of my guns, and they are all much better once I finally gave in and spent more than $5 on a belt... And even the cheap plastic fobus I happened upon is quite nice once it gets the support it needs.

Don't get me wrong... I mostly agree with you (as usual) and none of them can touch the comfort level of my High Noon Tail-Gate... I'm just sayin' that a paddle holster CAN be OK in the right situation.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm carrying a 340 j-frame. I use the FIST #19 adjustable IWB. It has snaps for easy removal.

I use the same holster for IWB and OWB (between the 1 and 1/2 "belt and the pants). It all depends on how tight my choice of pants is and just how much concealment I need. The OWB under the belt pulls things in better than a regular OWB and conceals almost as well as the IWB method - particularly with the j-frame because of the short 2" barrel.

Having the belt on the outside also gives added security for holding in the gun in even though it's outside the pants.

Almost every belt has a few different notches and it's easy to choose notches depending on whether I'm carrying that day or not. I don't have to buy all my pants with extra room in them for complete IWB.

It's the best of both worlds, really. Of course, you could buy a holster for each type of carry. But I like having one holster to quickly put on or take off and to change from OWB to complete IWB in a few seconds if I want.

It isn't tuckable. But I have a Mika pocket holster or a Defender "breathable" belly band for that kind of carry.

(If I were to find myself going into a setting where I was really worried about printing or into a family setting, I can easily unsnap and throw under the car seat without undoing my belt.)

MARV

IWB for concealment, even in a t-shirt.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I go IWB most of the time with my G23.....that time is cut with a paddle holster or a belt OWB....and occasionally a sholder rig.

Your needs, wants, moods, state laws, time of year, wardrobe, moon phase, etc. all dictate the best choice for you at that time.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

OWB only for me. I don't like having to buy pants specifically for this purpose.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
    I think there are several parameters to consider for your choice.

What size weapon must be accomodated?
    e.g. I must accomodate a full size 45

What kind of wardrobes must be accomodated?
    e.g. I must accomodate suite to jeans but not shorts (I hate shorts)

What kind of body form?
    e.g. I am 5' 9", 190 lbs (tummy and spare tire)

What kind of social situations must be accomodated?
    e.g. I must accomodate social and family hugging, roughhousing and snuggling with grandchildren

My solution is the SmartCarry. Gun holsters concealed by SmartCarry concealed holsters

Good luck in your journey.
    +1 on the smart carry. I have TWO of them. I used to carry mostly in a crossbreed, and I still do at times, but the safecarry is just so convienient and confortable. And of course, anyone who is in the region to notice the gun either shouldn't be there to begin with, or already knows its there.

I carry a Kahr PM40 and a Glock 39, at times even at the same time.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    IWB for my SA Champion. OWB for my model 29. Just too much gun to carry IWB, but my SA disappears IWB with a t-shirt. Use a TT Gunleather rig and love it. Can carry all day with zero discomfort.
    TT GunLeather High Quality Leather Gun Holsters
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links