Question for the IWB carriers...

This is a discussion on Question for the IWB carriers... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How many of you that IWB (does not matter what type of holster) are having condensation issues on your sidearm? I noticed (a bit too ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for the IWB carriers...

How many of you that IWB (does not matter what type of holster) are having condensation issues on your sidearm?

I noticed (a bit too late) that at the end of the work day, the inboard side of my sidearm that is against the leather is coated in dew. This is in a Kydex/Leather tucked IWB.

Now, my sidearm goes through probably more extremes than most of yours. I am a field service mechanic, working 12 hour shifts, and , between the get up, get down, rolling around, dirt, concrete, lint and 50* temperature swings...She gets a weekly cleaning. Unfortunately I noticed a couple of weeks ago that I am developing a bit of rust on the frame. Nothing internal yet. This is where a bit of grit and normal wear from the holster has worn the matt finish off.

I have started "buffing" the frame with a soft towel where this occurs nightly, and putting a coat of silicone based oil on it, then in the morning a light wipe off to remove the excess.

I am now thinking of getting her a "Duracoat".

Anybody else have suggestions?
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Very intresting. I've never had an issue with condensation on my IWB holstered sidearm. Sweat can be problem every once and awhile but not too often. Hot Ga. summers necessite good cleanings weekly, but never had rust devolop and never noticed any condensation (during any season). The temp. extremes you described certinally have most to do with that. Perhaps a refinishing might be in order?
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Sweat can get between the holster and the gun from the bottom or top. One question is if the holster has a side guard that can help minimize moisture getting in from the top.

On the refinishing side, Duracoat, hard chrome or other finish will help but will it stand up to your needs. Another way is to get a Stainless Steel gun would help but not eliminate rust problem but would handle the wear problem.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Well, it's plenty warm here in FL, but I have never had any problem with moisture...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    Living in south Alabama it is quite hot and humid, I get plenty of sweat on my holsters, but not on my pistols.

I do wipe my pistols with a silicon cloth after I take them off and before they go in the pistol safe for the night.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

I've had issues with sweat/dew on my Champion. The problem in my case was a holster that didn't quite perform like it should. I called the holster maker and they made me a new one. I haven't had a problem since.

I just assume that my original holster didn't take the finish right or something. I'd call the manufacturer of your holster and see what they can offer up in the way of a solution.

I've had it happen, but I can't recall with which holster or gun. I know it's an artifact of extremely humid Richmond weather, I can only take care of it soon's it's out of the holster.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

With a sweat guard on a horsehide Kramer or Sparks, I've never had a problem, even in the blast furnace Arizona summers. I did have an issue when I tried an IWB kydex. It funneled sweat right down inside! Nothing more uncomfortable than a hard piece of plastic pressed against your body.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I've never had a problem with condensation on my piece, although I also wear my t-shirt between me and the gun (plus I work in an office so I'm not doing that kind of sweating except at the gym, and my gym carry piece is a P3AT in a pocket holster). My daily carry pistol is a Steyr S40 so its poly frame and tenifer like treated slide.

Kydex doesn't breathe so if its up against your skin you'll likely sweat there.

Also, carry weapons shouldn't be heirlooms, they're disposable tools, so as long as you keep up on the rust and it doesn't effect function, I wouldn't worry about it. If the pistol is one you really care about I suggest that if possible, you stop carrying it and get something else.

Never had that problem, I always have a t-shirt between the holster and me.
    Keep your powder dry

VIP Member
    I've never had that problem either and I wear mine against my skin in the summer. My IWB is a VM-II and it's horse hide on the side against my body.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

How many of you that IWB (does not matter what type of holster) are having condensation issues on your sidearm?
    Not sure about the importance of what actual type of holster--my main IWB holster is total kydex---DeSantis 'Scorpion'. I have the M-Tac for my carry pieces as well, and that's leather between pistol and skin, but I'm still working on making it work for me in my spare time.

Never encountered condensation as defined. Most usually the issue is plain old sweat. My current holster of choice and my method put my pistol's rear of slide in direct contact with my skin most of the time. Thing is---my pistol of choice is Glock, so condensation is really not an "issue" for me. With the right care of the pistol of choice, I don't think there should be an issue with any of them unless a person is allergic to the metal itself or the preservation products used on such. I've never heard of that personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I've never had that problem either and I wear mine against my skin in the summer. My IWB is a VM-II and it's horse hide on the side against my body.

Same thing with me.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Leather body, Kydex outer. Full coverage on the leather side beaver tail to muzzle.

Tighty-Whities and a T-shirt, holster, work shirt tucked in over all, denim pants. Moisture only forms on the part of the frame touching the leather.

I do have corrosive sweat. If it is not silver or gold, it will corrode away at any point touching my skin.

Now, I rarely sweat to the point where there are wet spots or dripping off. Even on slow, sitting around days it still happens.

I think that a re-coating of some sort is going to happen soon.

Wear on the gun I accept. That is going to happen with daily wear. Rust however annoys me.

The manufacturer of the holster is me, so I think I may try boiling the leather in Wax to seal it. If that does not do it, then I may have to try to get some horse hide.

Thanks for the input guys. I have some things to try now.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Another great product to protect your gun after cleaning is aerosol Sheath.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links