For the obese? (warning: disturbing graphics) - Page 2

For the obese? (warning: disturbing graphics)

This is a discussion on For the obese? (warning: disturbing graphics) within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Why do they call it a Smartcarry? It seems like a real dumb place to carry a loaded gun....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: For the obese? (warning: disturbing graphics)

Why do they call it a Smartcarry? It seems like a real dumb place to carry a loaded gun.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CorpsVet View Post
    ...suspenders
    My thoughts as well. Maybe you can mock up some sort of smart carry suspender system. If that is too much trouble, IWB with suspenders on your belt sounds promising.

"a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    Why do they call it a Smartcarry? It seems like a real dumb place to carry a loaded gun.
    Warning! Biased opinion to follow!

I am a strong proponent of SmartCarry. I am overweight and find the SmartCarry effective and convenient. And the muzzle is below my assets.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Obesity kills millions more than an assault where a CCW would save you.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
    Warning! Biased opinion to follow!

I am a strong proponent of SmartCarry. I am overweight and find the SmartCarry effective and convenient. And the muzzle is below my assets.
    Yer wearing it wrong.

Oh. Maybe not.

By the way I used to be 360 lbs but in 2004 I lost down to 245. I've kept it there since then but the extra skin from carrying the extra fat still gets in the way. When I was in the military I had to loose 40 lbs twice a year for weigh in. After I retired it caught up with me and got harder and harder to loose. When I hit 360 I had RNY surgery and it worked out ok for me.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    Yer wearing it wrong.

Oh. Maybe not.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

I've worn Thunderwear. Works well for deep concealment of a smaller weapon, but the velcro tended to ride up in the back. Oh, and don't plop down on a wooden pew in a quiet church -- tends to get attention

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CorpsVet View Post
    There are two types of fat men.............those that wear suspenders and those that should.

I am very much over weight and I wear suspenders and a belt. The suspenders genereally to hold my pants up and a belt for a holster, either IWB or OWB.

Give it a try.
    Perry suspenders work well. You can wear them under your outer shirt if you don't want them to be seen. They hook to your belt, not your pants. That way, you can loosen up the belt a bit & still hold up your carry rig. They are about $10.

They can be found at WalMart (here anyway), Bass Pro, or on their online store.

Perry Suspenders

RedHead Perry Y-Back Suspenders

First let me say congrats on loosing 15 lbs. I wish I could loose that much for starters. I know how hard it is to loose weight. Keep it up. My Dad has the same shape you do, and although he doesn't even think about guns, he does were suspenders with a belt. Smartcarry may not be right for you now, but loose some more weight and it can be. I love my smartcarry. I am over weight as well and it works just fine for me. I carry in the deep conceal method you pictured. Anyhow, untill you get down to a better weight a good IWB carry might be best for you. Just my $0.02 worth.

TDPalmer

As a person who resembles the diagram you presented, I have to say that the belt and suspenders combo is a good idea. I have worn both, and it does get some attention, but the important thing is to have a secure arrangement for keeping your pants in the proper place.

As for the shoulder holster, it is difficult for me to reach the grip when it is under my arm. I can not get a good grip using only one hand. I did figure out that I can use the off hand to push the holster forward enough that a good grip can be achieved, but this is a two handed draw. The same method is needed to get the spare magazines out on the strong side. It is not fast, it is not easy, but it can be done. The shoulder holster under a sweater or heavy shirt allows the gun to disappear from view, and there is practically no printing with a medium sized gun hidden under the arm of someone that is large.

though he has a much smaller gun

This is a very comfortable holster that works as well for obese folks as it does for slender people.

I have worn this so much that I wore out my first one and am working on my second. I like it because it has shoulder straps that support the weight of the gun. You can even adjust it for different positions.

If you don't want the gun directly under your armpit, you and move it slightly forward a bit.

For button up shirts, you can be creative to speed the draw by modifying one button by removing it and permanently sewing it to the outside of the button hole and then velcro dots behind the button hole with the faux button and the other piece of velcro to the buttons former/original location. (or just leave one button unbuttoned, or wear cowboy shirts with snaps... be creative.)

You can also wear a loose fitting T-shirt, but you will have to reach underneath to make a draw, which is not as fast but not real slow either. (Again, this is a specialty rig for deep concealment. Naturally you sacrifice a bit of speed for concealment and comfort so you should adjust your tactics accordingly and also practice with it. Two and a half seconds for a draw from concealment with practice is pretty fast, I don't care who you are.)

We have a member who is a federal agent who wears an undershirt/holster in similar fashion who can draw and fire two rounds on target at 7 yards in well under 3 seconds. He wears his rig almost daily.

This is a deep concealment holster you can find here

I have carried a G-23, a 3" stainless revolver, a 1911, and XD9 for 18-20 hours at a time without being uncomfortable. As a matter of fact, you almost forget you're wearing a gun.

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

When asked why I wear both suspenders and I belt, I smile and say, "When you're not wearing underwear you want to make sure your pants don't fall down." Usually gets a laugh.
    If you give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish, he will sit in a boat and drink beer.

Quote Originally Posted by PocketRocket View Post
    Hey I'm bald and I look GQ
    You look like a banana to me.
    I went to buy some camouflage pants, but I couldn't find any.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links