For the obese? (warning: disturbing graphics)

This is a discussion on For the obese? (warning: disturbing graphics) within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I normally wear my slacks around the largest part of my girth (the "sneeze" position, below). If I carry using by belt as support, I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar

I normally wear my slacks around the largest part of my girth (the "sneeze" position, below). If I carry using by belt as support, I need to cinch it REAL SNUG to avoid losing my pants. I've built a homebrew SmartCarry-style rig and a 3:00 OWB-style, both of which I wear on a belt under my pants in the "Deep Concealment" style, below).

Has anyone of my caliber tried a for-reals SmartCarry? If so, how should I wear it? Or shall I recognize reality and go with a shoulder rig even with its limitations or compromise with a separate belt and a 3:00 IWB/OWB rig (worn in "Deep Concealment" style), add suspenders, or try something else I'm missing? I would prefer NOT to go with a 'personal item bag' or fanny pack.

I have a S&W 915 9mm pistol (their less-expensive 15+1), because it was a good deal and fits my hand perfectly. I'm also thinking of a piece of leather/etc. between the pinchy hammer and my delicate little tummy.

[And I'm working on my weight; down ~15 lbs so far: obviously a problem and hinders my ability to protect family, live long enough to see grandkids, etc.... that said...]

Administrator
    Anybody that is extremely heavy may have trouble with a "shoulder holster set-up" if they have trouble reaching across the body to the support side armpit area.

A suggestion might be to put on a comfortable cotton T-shirt first - then don a chest mount holster above the belly....and cover that with a comfortable over-shirt.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Wouldn't you want to be able to see your gun?

OMO, but...

Smart Carry =

IWB =

...again, OMO!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    [And I'm working on my weight; down ~15 lbs so far: obviously a problem and hinders my ability to protect family, live long enough to see grandkids, etc.... that said...]
    I think that's the key for you. Loose as much of the gut as you can. Adjust your diet, and start regular excercise. Doesn't have to be crazy just walking for starters will do a lot. I may suggest some excercises that would build up the glutes a touch for less belt slippage(squats/deadlifts). Overall you will feel beter, have more energy to train and play with those grandkids. It will affect your carry methods and your overall quality of life. Stay focused and you'll be amazed what you can do.
    In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.

Rights are like muscles: If you don't excersise them they slowly disappear.

Pay,

Search for my posting from~2 yrs. ago now on the Bandera Gunleather 'Beltster'.

Although I am physically the total opposite of you this product being custom cut for it's wearer will resolve a multiple of problems specific to you and your post.

Beltster, concealed carry holsters, colt handguns, glock handguns, leather gun holsters

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

There are two types of fat men.............those that wear suspenders and those that should.

I am very much over weight and I wear suspenders and a belt. The suspenders genereally to hold my pants up and a belt for a holster, either IWB or OWB.

Give it a try.
    If you give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish, he will sit in a boat and drink beer.

My husband has a similiar body shape to your model. The smartcarry we got last week is uncomfortable for him. As you've noted, it tends to fall off when placed in your "deep concealment" or "walk and it falls off" postitions (he has no buttocks to hold the back up). He also did not like the heavy gun swinging in front of his genetalia, a fast walk was incredibly uncomfortable for him.

He refuses to wear a belt. For one reason, he has no waist. For another I get tired of him hitching up his pants every time he takes a step/changes position/etc. Suspenders are so much more comfortable for him and he can run and not loose his pants. To my knowledge you cannot IWB without a belt and wearing a belt and suspenders is a fashion statement that my dear husband is FAR FAR too young to make (after I'm gone, he's free to dress himself).

He is quite happy pocket carrying, though he has a much smaller gun than the one you mention.

Smartcarry takes three hands on a big guy...one to lift his belly, one to open his pants, and one to draw. Find a different method!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

As a little over weight myself it you carried any lower it would be an ankle holster.

Quote Originally Posted by gg12 View Post
    To my knowledge you cannot IWB without a belt and wearing a belt and suspenders is a fashion statement that my dear husband is FAR FAR too young to make (after I'm gone, he's free to dress himself).

Not to sound mean, but if he is that much over weight is he really going for a GQ look. I think doubling up on pants support is the least of his problems. I am going to agree with Bline on this one and really suggest that if you are that overweight that maybe the want and desire to carry a certain way may be a part of the motivation you need to get the ball rolling on a weight loss plan.

Tom

I'm overweight but made the decission to wear bib overalls many years ago. They work with IWB holsters and with the Smart Carry holster. Both are comfortable with the bibs and I have never been made while wearing them.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

I'm slightly overweight - ok I'm fat and I have found that pocket carry is the best for me. I tried shoulder carry and that was awkward and ankle carry I needed a stool to rest my leg on so I could get to my gun. Waist carry - well we won't go there other than to say it was uncomfortable as all get out. So I would give pocket carry a try if I were you.

Not to sound mean, but if he is that much over weight is he really going for a GQ look. I think doubling up on pants support is the least of his problems. I am going to agree with Bline on this one and really suggest that if you are that overweight that maybe the want and desire to carry a certain way may be a part of the motivation you need to get the ball rolling on a weight loss plan.
    I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment. He would never qualify for GQ even without the extra weight (poor soul is also bald). This is still not reason enough to let him out in public with a 2" batman belt and suspenders to hold up his carhart farmer pants.

Quote Originally Posted by gg12 View Post
    I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment. He would never qualify for GQ even without the extra weight (poor soul is also bald). This is still not reason enough to let him out in public with a 2" batman belt and suspenders to hold up his carhart farmer pants.
    Hey I'm bald and I look GQ
    "An armed society is a polite society"

Hey I'm bald and I look GQ
    Of course you do!!! (where's the smiling sarcastic/patronizing smiley?)

ETA: I mean this in a humerous manner, no offense meant.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links