Kydex & Holster wear

This is a discussion on Kydex & Holster wear within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just purchased a SIG 229, and am also going to be buying a G23 for my EDC. I am still shopping for a holster, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kydex & Holster wear

Kydex & Holster wear

I just purchased a SIG 229, and am also going to be buying a G23 for my EDC. I am still shopping for a holster, and really like the flexibility of the MTAC, and also like the crossbreed.

However I'm concerned with how the Kydex material will wear on my firearm being an EDC. I'd like to minimalize the markings on the firearm from carrying, and feel like leather may 'wear' on the gun better.

2. Remove Ads

One of these days we ought to sticky this topic as it comes up over and over, and each time it is important.

I'll offer my own gross (over)generalizations: Kydex will pick two or three small spots, and will wear them quickly and go no farther. Leather will wear very slowly, all over, and will never stop. I'm not sure that one is better than the other.

The finish of your gun makes a big difference. If you have cheap blueing you won't save your gun's finish - it is doomed no matter what holster you buy. Do you have chrome, stainless, or some after-market finish? Then you can probably make a holster out of steel wool and it won't make a difference. By and large, the 'holster wear" scare is the result of people with blued guns [deleted] their pants when they find out their gun's finish can't take the real-world.

Finally - there is 'fit'. A good custom holster made for you gun will be snug so that there will be no 'jiggling'. A cheap holster - and I'm thinking assembly line holsters that we buy at Gander Mountain or Bass Pro (especially holsters with the words "uncle" or "mike") can't match the fit that you get with custom.

I'll leave the "why in the world would you worry about it" issue to others

Carry guns wear. Any other questions?

Not trying to be a jerk but, carry guns are going to get use. It builds character. Keep the pretty guns for the range / safe. BTW, Glocks wear very nicely. The Tenifer finnish is pretty tough.
    -Biker

as was stated "carry guns,wear" I'm 60 years old and have never understood this "oh my gun finish is wearing" mentality.all my weapons show wear,my carry guns show lots of wear,BUT,they still go bang.thats what I paid the money for,when I pull the trigger,I want to hear that sound. it could be "butt ugly"but if it does it's job,it's the most beautiful thing in the world. jwr

Ditto on the comments above. If it still bothers you then have your edc refinished or plated in a Robar custom finish. This is one tough finish that wears like iron.

I love the wear marks on my carry gun. The gun is a tool meant to be carried 24/7. Cosmetic blemishes enhance the experience. They show familiarity and dedication. A man with a pristine gun is a man that doesn't shoot. I returned a 1911 to Les Baer to have an extractor replaced and he refinished the gun (for free) without asking. I was miffed. All that wear and tear on the finish was from thousands of draws and manipulations on the range. My badge of continuous dedicated training. That's my opinion and I'm not humble.

Distinguished Member Array mavrik46's Avatar
    Just think of the wear on your pistol as character marks. The more marks, the more character.
    Greg

It's not what you go thru in life, but how well you go thru it.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Buy one to carry. Buy one to keep "nice".

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

10 years of leather worn character:

Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

my carry gun is a sigsauer p239,it is the only gun (so far) that i have ever bought brand new.it is meant for serious business.
    i carry it in an iwb kydex holster because it draws out so fast. i dont care how it looks just how it performs. like i said it was meant for business, not a beauty contest.
    Last edited by stormbringerr; April 7th, 2008 at 10:31 PM.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

I prefer leather to kydex, but them most of my holsters are IWB's. Kydex IWB's are NOT as comfortable as leather when next to the body...OMO...others may differ.
    Bottom line? What ever works for ya'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

LOL, didn't mean to come across as being upset about wear marks :) Just was curious how it wore, For some reason I felt like a kydex holster would scratch it up to all hell.

I think we all can admit that we like our guns to look sexy - that glock looks sexy as hell to me with the wear marks, if it was scratched up every which way it wouldn't be as sexy ;)

Thanks everyone for your input...now to decide on a holster, that MTAC is looking awfully attractive!

i haven't noticed any wear marks yet.maybe i need to look closer but ive been using it for several months now.i think the kydex is comfortable next to my body,maybe because its so thin it helps in comfort.i really hardly notice it at 5 oclock where i keep it iwb.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Sponsor
    One thing about Kydex is to keep the inside wiped out. If grit gets into a kydex holster (or hybrid), when the gun is inserted, the kydex may hold the grit on the surface and trapped between the holster and gun. Leather will let the grit sink into itself.

As to long term finish wear from EDC...

"Beware the man with the well worn gun"
    Mark Craighead
    Owner/Founder
    CrossBreed Holsters LLC
    http://www.crossbreedholsters.com

The only reason I'd possibly be worried about holster wear on a Park'd or blued finish is climate. In FL, I'd be worried about the humidity, sweat, and proximity to sea air causing rust on exposed steel. Then again, if you clean your guns properly, rust will be a small concern.

-JT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links