Stopping holster migration?

This is a discussion on Stopping holster migration? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Milt Sparks VM II for my .45. It's a real good holster, and I have no complaints with the holster itself. However, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stopping holster migration?

I have a Milt Sparks VM II for my .45. It's a real good holster, and I have no complaints with the holster itself. However, I carry at 3:00 and the holster tends to migrate back to towards 4:00, which then makes the base of the gun's grip stick out when I bend or sit down.

I thought that one possible solution might be to scuff the leather with some coarse sandpaper, giving a "rough out" effect. Has anyone tried this? Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

SSKC

Personally I'd avoid that scuffing cuz its only gonna polish smooth again thru continued use.
    Not sure what to try though.
    Start thinking things like hair spray or some kinda tacky stuff but thats a maintenance issue and the build-up that ya may get isn't good either.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Senior Moderator
    Holster migration - good description, I've experienced that too except mine goes from 3:00 towards 2:00. Although it's mostly when I walk down hill on my dog (Tangle is my dog) walks.

A tighter belt helps, but not very comfortable. I tried a different type holster with tight belt loop straps and the problem went away. Other than changing holsters or duct tape I don't know.

Assistant Administrator
    My K&D for the SIG stays put - I think because of the thickness and so stiffness of the belt slot ''wings'' and the way it is pulled in to the body. My belt is cinched up pretty good but not in least uncomfortable.

On almost all my jeans the 3 0'clock belt loop is straddled by the rig and so it can't actually move too far - in truck I pull it fwd to a full 3 o'clock but other wise I nudge it back to 3.30 which is about my ideal.

I don't think roughening will achieve much to be honest. What about a stud in the belt at each side of the desired position? To keep it captive.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Long shot but what about a strip of velcro on the inside of your belt, with the other side of the velcro lining the inside of the holster belt loop. Did that make sense? I can see it in my head but can't explain it well.

I also carry my Kimber in a VMII, and could not see doing anything at all to alter the appearance of it. You wouldn't be able to see the velcro.

You have a top quality holster. My guess would be the belt is the problem. Is the belt a proper gun belt? It will make a difference, even more so with a large gun. Is the belt the proper width for the holster? If the belt is the problem the fix is simple. Call Milt Sparks and get a matching belt that will fit the belt loop perfectly.
    NRA Life Member

"All That Later"

Brian45 may be on to something here.
    It is always recommended that you use a quality gun belt whose width matches the holster belt loops. If this is not the issue then maybe a call to Milt Sparks may solve your issue. 208-377-5577.

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    You guys nailed it. Have a GOOD belt to begin with and the loops must fit tight on the belt after that! With that combination, you wont have any more problems. Shoot well.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Migrate? Like Yankees to Texas in the winter?

I use an integrated holster called the Beltster made by Bandera Gun Leather. Impossible to make it move.

Thread here:
    http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...0&page=5&pp=10
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

thick gun belt that is the same width as the holster...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian45
    You have a top quality holster. My guess would be the belt is the problem. Is the belt a proper gun belt?
    That is good advice. I have a 1.5" loop Versa Max II and a 1.5" wide, very thick gunbelt.
    With my setup I can't slide the holster even if I try to, without unsnapping the loops, or unfastening the belt.

As a matter of fact, I also have a 1.5" wide Alessi DOJ holster that takes 2 hands and considerable effort to even slide onto the belt.

Good luck.
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

Temporary fix might be just wrap a rubber band around the belt on the 'down hill' side of the holster (that it slides towards). Old country boys..old country solutions.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Bob McDuffee, co-host DogWatch Social Club Podcast
    Thoughtful Conversation, Considered Opinion and a Touch of Insanity
    "He who goes about unarmed in paradise, had better be sure that is where he is!" James Thurber

GGL
    Your problem is the very reason that I offer a suede backing covering the entire rear of my In-Cognito IWB as an option. The suede backing on the rear will also prevent the smooth leather from "sticking" to the body or chafing if worn against bare skin on a hot day. I have heard of others in a similar situation as your's using mole-skin to cover the rear of the holster . It's made by Dr. Schol's and available in the foot care section of most drug stores (Walgreens, Walmart, etc) and has a self-adhesive backing. That should cure the problem for you.
    I like the idea of velcro on the loops and belt. That would do the trick. Any local shoe-repair shop would be able to sew it in place for you.
    Good luck and let us know your outcome.
    "He who works with his hands is a labourer, He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, He who works with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist." (St. Francis of Assisi)
    Mark Garrity
    www.garritysgunleather.com

This may sound kind of silly, but for the price of a good holster it would not be too much to have a tailor add or move a belt loop on your pants in the proper place to keep it where you want it.

I also have a VMII in black horse hide with shark trim with 1.5" loops and a Sparks 1.5" belt and wear pants with 1.5" loops,,,
    Sorry but I do not have a migration problem, everything fits tight...
    Clarence
    Bullseye 2568-83x
    Distinguished Revolver #99
    E.I.C. 30pts.(need a hard leg)
    10z n Xs

Quote Originally Posted by SSKC
    I have a Milt Sparks VM II for my .45. It's a real good holster, and I have no complaints with the holster itself. However, I carry at 3:00 and the holster tends to migrate back to towards 4:00, which then makes the base of the gun's grip stick out when I bend or sit down.

I thought that one possible solution might be to scuff the leather with some coarse sandpaper, giving a "rough out" effect. Has anyone tried this? Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

SSKC

I had the same problem with my holster, it would slide around to the back side after some activity. I tried double sided velcro tape (hooks on one side and fuzzy on the other). I wrap that around my belt before the first anchor point of the holster and it doesn't move.

Seek safety at the heart of danger.

Live Easy, Die Hard

I have 2 Versa Max II's that I use for my SIG and Glock.

I do not have any issues with the holsters moving on my belt. The belt I use is a Milt Sparks Contour belt that fits my holster straps very securely. You might look into getting a new belt, as that could be the culprit.

I also find that the holster straps sit pretty well between the belt loops on my pants, so if the holster did 'migrate', it couldn't go very far anyway.

As an aside, I do find that my Versa Max's squeak like crazy; I'm probably the only one who notices this, but I do find it a little annoying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links