issues with OWB, any pointers ?

This is a discussion on issues with OWB, any pointers ? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Guys, I usually carry IWB due to "restrictions" at work but have been trying to convert to OWB. Using OWB around the house, to run ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: issues with OWB, any pointers ?

issues with OWB, any pointers ?

Guys,
    I usually carry IWB due to "restrictions" at work but have been trying to convert to OWB. Using OWB around the house, to run some errands, etc. All under a cover garment.

My issue is the OWB really seems to be floppy. I went from my 1.5" typical belt to a 1.75" desantis, and no real help there. Even with the belt cinched super tight, there's a pendulum hanging off my hip.
    Have tried OWB holsters from Aker, a kydex galco, and a nylon over kydex Strong (strongcore).

Any tips as to how I can reduce the floppy feeling ? Would be with a G23 or G22.

2. Remove Ads

If you have a good belt and a good holster, the only thing I have is try to move your holster to a different area on your body. I can't carry at 3:00 or 3:30, but 4:30 to 5 works great. Move it around until it seems like the grip is tightest to your body.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Get a real Gun Belt from The Beltman: The Belt Man
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

It sounds like maybe your Belt Slots are "cut" wider than your Belt is.

In short, your Holster has 1.75" Belt Slots and your Belt is 1.25" wide. That may or may not be the problem, I don't know. I usually recommend a "first rate" Holster Maker and suggest you buy their Holster and Belt as a "unit" because that way you are ensured a good "fit" between the Belt and the Holster.

Good luck "Floppy".

Biker

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I suspect that the belt is not good enough, and you may be using high ride holsters. I find that a good double thickness belt, and a pancake such as the Sparks I-BAK, or Kevin's (K&D) Eagle or Laredo Defenders holds the gun very securely and tightly against the body.

Many others prefer the high ride holsters, but I find that unless the belt is very tight the butt of the gun wants to ride out away from the body.
    Good luck, and I am sure that with a little experimentation you will find a satisfactory solution. I almost never carry IWB.

Regards,
    Jerry

kpw
    The belt is the biggest thing. I have a couple of Desantis belts and I use them for paddle holsters and lower riding OWB holsters. They are not quite stiff enough for higher riding holsters, at least for me. I don't know which Aker you tried but the other holsters you mentioned are not body huggers by design. Most two slot pancake type holsters offered by most makers will do a better job of keeping the pistol tight to your body. Generally, the higher the ride of the holster, the stiffer your belt needs to be. My usual carry is a G19 in a UBG Bonneville. It's high but tight because of the belts I use. A UBG and a Wilderness mostly. I couldn't use that holster with my Desantis belts.

Kramer Horsehide Belt Scabbard or Sparks Axiom
    Very important that your belt size match your holster slots or loops, and it be made for a gun belt. Both Kramer and Sparks make excellent belts, and their gear will last you a lifetime. Buy good once and never look back.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Lead Moderator
    Pancake of paddle OWB only for me. I think some of it may just be your perception of being floppy after having carried IWB.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

The more around your waist the belt lies, rather than your hip, the better the holster will function...regardless of how good the belt is. This may not apply in your case, but I know many of our younger citizens wear their trousers lower than I do.

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    What holster are you using?

Assuming you've got a good belt, here's two things to try.

Make sure the belt is riding on your waist, not the top of your hips. Then ditch the high-ride holster, if that's what you're using. Polymer handguns are butt-heavy when loaded and the butt is far from the attachment point to your belt. This makes it a sort of lever and falls away from your body.

I don't have any problems with my glock 26 or 19 riding owb. the beltman belt is an excellent foundation for any holster. the 19 rides in a don hume ot0721 and the g26 in a rusty sherrick us high ride. i also have a serpa sportster paddle holster that is one of my favorites as of late.

Alright I think I'll have to upgrade my belt - again - before I condemn OWB!
    Thanks guys

If your in a hurry to get something you might try Lightning Arms Sports, they may have something in stock from milt sparks and others.

Otherwise I would order a belt and holster from some of the great leather makers mentioned. Myself I have a Milt Sparks Axiom Holster OWB and belt and love them holds my 1911 nice and tight to body.

-- Kirk.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

~Benjamin Franklin

Good holster (IWB or OWB)...tight, quality belt...no problem.
    I just ordered two new belts from Looper Belts...should be here on Friday... normally I use a Wilderness, but not with dress pants.
    Seeing that I wear dress pants and suspenders at school where I can't have a weapon anyway (no belt needed), my Wilderness works just fine with shorts or jeans...while outside of school...we'll see how the Loopers work!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links