Carrying the SR9 Part 3 of 3: SR9 + Supertuck

This is a discussion on Carrying the SR9 Part 3 of 3: SR9 + Supertuck within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wanted to carry the combo for at least a couple of weeks before writing this. Ironically, in a couple of weeks I'll have to ...

Thread: Carrying the SR9 Part 3 of 3: SR9 + Supertuck

Carrying the SR9 Part 3 of 3: SR9 + Supertuck

I wanted to carry the combo for at least a couple of weeks before writing this. Ironically, in a couple of weeks I'll have to send the SR9 back to Ruger for the recall. But I digress.

I'll start by saying that I never carried it with a tucked shirt. I only carried as I would dress every day for work and running errands. As I am fortunate enough to have a job without a strict dress code, I didn't need to test that mode of carry out, but I will eventually.

I don't have a belt made specifically for carrying. What I own is leather, but not particularly heavy duty. However, despite this, the rig carried comfortably. The belt and holster kept the gun tight against my body adequately. I wore a variety of shirts, sometimes with, sometimes without an undershirt. The holster, once I finally found a position and cant that I liked, carried VERY comfortably. With an undershirt, I can barely feel the leather backing. Without, I can feel the rough texture of the leather, but it is by no means discomforting. I don't feel the exposed rivets at all.

A couple of points of note...

The mouth of the kydex body by the triggerguard was a bit too high for me, scraping against the middle finger of my hand as I acquired my grip:

I ended up shaving some of the kydex away, to allow my hand to get a higher, tighter grip more comfortably on acquisition. I shaved away small slivers of material at a time, frequently testing the grip, until I thought I had enough removed. I then smoothed the sharp edges:

I'm not the only one who has made this modification. My arnis instructor used a Crossbreed for his M&P9, and he has made a similar modification. Since his hands and fingers are a bit smaller than mine, the necessity to adjust my holster is apparently not just because of freakish mutant hand size.

The SR9 has a ridiculously high loaded chamber indicator (LCI). It's needlessly high when it's held up by a chambered round, threatening to encroach into the sight picture. I thought the holster would account for this 'feature' from Ruger, but alas, it does not:

The edge of the dogleg on the LCI often catches on the edge of the kydex when reholstering, which can get a bit annoying when you're practicing your draw. However, I will say that it does not affect or hinder drawing the weapon in any way. I plan on modifying the mouth of the holster soon, bending a small channel for the LCI to ride into.

All in all, I am very satisfied with the rig. I carry every time I leave the house, and do so comfortably. The holster conceals the SR9 very well, and any danger of printing would only arise from a poor wardrobe selection on my part, coupled with the rather long grip of the SR9. It is a very economical, tuckable IWB option. Though very simple in design, there is an elegance to the simplicity that I appreciate.

Should anyone have some spare $$$ burning a hole in their pocket, toss it my way, and I'll review the rig with one of his gunbelts, too

Okay, I need to keep smoothing out my draw before I gotta send this puppy back to Ruger for some TLC.

-JT

2. Remove Ads

I love my Crossbreed SuperTuck. You're right about it's simplicity. I'm very much like you in that I'll "customize" what I use to work better. The SuperTuck takes very well to tweaking. I've taken a bit of the leather off so I can more comfortably get a full grip and because of pant wear issues due to the open muzzle design I attached an extra piece of leather to cover that part.

Enjoy your SR9 & SuperTuck!
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

I have the exact same SR9, the two tone one.

Is that holster molded specifically for the SR9? I'm waiting for Blade-tech to release their SR9 holster. I love my Blade-tech holster for the P345. They're expensive though.
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

http://www.nevadashooters.com

Quote Originally Posted by whyipackmy45 View Post
    I have the exact same SR9, the two tone one.

Is that holster molded specifically for the SR9? I'm waiting for Blade-tech to release their SR9 holster. I love my Blade-tech holster for the P345. They're expensive though.
    As far as I can tell, by comparing the lines of the right side (extractor side) of the gun, with the kydex sheath, the holster seems to be made for the SR9. The only thing really 'missing' to me is a channel in the sheath to allow for the loaded chamber indicator, which is unnecessarily high on the SR9.

After I send the gun off to Ruger and get it back for the recall work, I'll probably do a slight modification to the mouth of the kydex sheath to allow for the LCI. It doesn't affect drawing the pistol at all, but it's annoying when the LCI hits the edge of the holster while reholstering. It's conceivable that someone could hit that obstruction, not pay attention, think the gun if fully seated in the holster, then let go, resulting in a loaded gun falling to the ground. Bad ju-ju.

Something I've considered for a while is removing the LCI and filing down the dogleg that contacts the cartridge just a little bit, so that it doesn't stick up so high. I've seen someone remove it entirely, but that just looks like a BAD idea.

-JT

I will probably carry mine with an empty chamber. If it was a double or double/single trigger, I would carry it ready to fire.
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

I will probably carry mine with an empty chamber. If it was a double or double/single trigger, I would carry it ready to fire.
    Er...why? It has a manual safety.

-JT

sr9

The SR9 has a manual safety doesn't it? Are you not comfortable carrying with one in the pipe?
    Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    Er...why? It has a manual safety.
    Quote Originally Posted by NFEDERIC View Post
    The SR9 has a manual safety doesn't it? Are you not comfortable carrying with one in the pipe?
    Yes it has a safety, but I don't like that the striker has to be cocked all the time.

Maybe I'm wrong, but double action just seems safer to me. I mean less likely to AD.

Yes it has a safety, but I don't like that the striker has to be cocked all the time.

Maybe I'm wrong, but double action just seems safer to me. I mean less likely to AD.
    As far as I know, the striker is not fully cocked. As the slide moves back into battery, the striker is pulled back a little. I don't have the manual on me, so I can't reference the name of the bit that semi-cocks the striker. When the trigger is pulled, the striker is pulled back farther, then ultimately released. While this is being done, the bit on the trigger bar that sticks up near the trigger pushes the striker blocker in, so that when the striker is released, it's free to clear the breech face.

Even without the recall in consideration, as long as you keep the safety on until you need to fire (likewise, keep your boogerhook off the bang switch until you're ready to fire), there's no worry of a ND. All you need to do is draw and thumb the safety off.

If you're carrying in what amounts to condition three, you'll have to draw, possibly thumb the safety off, rack the slide, and then acquire your sight picture.

Nevermind the fact that the SR9 slide is fairly difficult to cycle manually, particularly when new, but you're having to hope that you have a hand free to cycle the slide to chamber a round.

Bad ju-ju

-JT

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    If you're carrying in what amounts to condition three, you'll have to draw, possibly thumb the safety off, rack the slide, and then acquire your sight picture.
    True, that would be bad in a self defense situation.

Take a good force-on-force class and you will change your mind about carrying unchambered. That is a good way to get killed in my mind. Most assaults and gunfights happen up-close and personal. The Tueller drills (21 ft rule) prove that an assailant can close a distance of 21 ft. and assault you in 1.5 seconds. Most assailants strike from much closer than that. How much can you do under stress in 1.5 seconds or less? Just my opinion.

Links