Short Barrel 1911 Carry In Iwb...ouch! - Page 2

Short Barrel 1911 Carry In Iwb...ouch!

This is a discussion on Short Barrel 1911 Carry In Iwb...ouch! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The SUB guns are not inherently flawed. It is just much more important that they leave the factory properly fit and configured and with the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Short Barrel 1911 Carry In Iwb...ouch!

Administrator

The SUB guns are not inherently flawed. It is just much more important that they leave the factory properly fit and configured and with the correct magazine & recoil spring weights.
    There is no reason why they cannot function (feed and eject) just as well as the longer pistols.
    That fact was proven Many Years Ago when the custom gunsmiths radically CHOPPED the full size .45 to even shorter lengths than the ones being "factory produced" today.
    If the machine work is good...and the barrel throated properly...and the "breech face" smooth - with a tuned extractor...then they should function just fine.
    Logic dictates that "smaller" is ALWAYS easier to conceal than larger.
    That fact just cannot be argued. Ask the CIA or KGB about that.
    PROPER holster selection is much more important than many folks realize.
    That is why those of us that have been carrying for many years have a closet full of holsters.
    That is because (years ago) many holster styles sucked for good and proper concealment.
    Thank God for the holster makers of TODAY who refined holsters to the point where concealing a full size pistol is now actually a pretty easy thing to do.
    People absolutely NEED to buy a great holster AND...AND a good thick stiff Gun Belt.
    One does NOT work without the other!
    The very best holster will not work with a crappy belt.
    Holster - Belt - Belt - Holster ~ They are like Brother & Sister ~ Mom & Pop ~ Rum & Coke ~ Adam & Eve ~ Rogers & Hammerstein ~ Simon & Garfunkel ~ The Devil & Mrs Jones.
    You need both to properly conceal a large firearm.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    I have the same problem with the cheapie clip-on Bianchi IWB rough-out that I carry my 2.75 barrel revolver in.

My solution is to rotate the revolver grip forward to vertical, sort of like I had a canted holster. This in turn rotates the barrel end up and back. Problem, of course, is that I have to keep doing it throughout the day, and if I push it too far the hammer drops below my belt line possibly causing a snag if I have to draw.

I might have to go with P95's advice and carry OWB... or buy an expensive custom holster from one of the fine craftsmen represented here. Shall we make it a vote?
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier
    I might have to go with P95's advice and carry OWB... or buy an expensive custom holster from one of the fine craftsmen represented here. Shall we make it a vote?
    New holster or new gun, the choice is yours. I vote new holster.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Bob McDuffee, co-host DogWatch Social Club Podcast
    Thoughtful Conversation, Considered Opinion and a Touch of Insanity
    "He who goes about unarmed in paradise, had better be sure that is where he is!" James Thurber

What kind of IWB holster are you using?

Cheap nylon holsters like Uncle Mike's are worthless.

A good dual loop or dual clip holster (like an HBE Com or Milt Sparks VersaMax) will carry any gun more comfortably then a $12 Uncle Mike's.

THE IWB in question that 'had' been giving me so much discomfort is a Don Hume model, w/ snap straps. i would consider this a "factory custom" holster. not a true custom piece.
    i took some "advice" from the folks here since the money is already spent on it and don't wanna toss it in the dreaded "holster box" for eternity and added some "tailing" leather off the bottom edeg and it is MUCH more comfortable now. wore it all day yesterday and its great now.
    Thanks all for the advice.
    I really wanted to buy a n inexpensive (not cheap though) one to see if IWB was a good alternative for carrying this piece.
    now that i know it works a more "custom" holster can be added to my wish list...maybe xmas.
    I just was not willing to wait 6 months for a holster that may not work upon recieving it.
    i bought an IWB for my 38 snubby back in june and am expecting delivery in about 2-3 weeks. ok, i expected a bit of a wait but 5+ months was too long to wait and go without even knowing if it was a viable holster.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

I have a couple of Don hume holster and will admit they are not that comfortable to iwb when i switch from a don hume to my desantis cozy partner the difference was unbelievable like going from rough wool to silk ..

Still use my don hume stuff when i know its gonna be rough what im doing ..there owb stuff is nice but i wont buy any iwb again

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links