Short Barrel 1911 Carry In Iwb...ouch!

This is a discussion on Short Barrel 1911 Carry In Iwb...ouch! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, so i'm starting to carry my springfield armory 1911, micro-compact. (3" barrel) Was at the gun show and bought an IWB for it. seems ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Short Barrel 1911 Carry In Iwb...ouch!

OK, so i'm starting to carry my springfield armory 1911, micro-compact. (3" barrel)
    Was at the gun show and bought an IWB for it. seems most popular and a great concealer. Well, is it the nature of the short barrel? but that thing is a killer to wear. it pokes me in the top of the glute muscle. top of my hip/butt area.
    trying it at about 3:30. basically the straps straddle the belty loop on my jeans at that point. but it was a nighmare to carry all day yesterday.
    am i doing something wrong? makes me rethink the whole "easier to hide a smaller gun" theory. maybe the longer barrel woulda "laid" against me instead of this short barrel "poking" me!!

any thoughts?
    or is it the short barrel thats being a pain on my butt..figuratively and literally.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Depends on holster some i wouldguess and your size

Being the trim 6 foot 300#er i am even the 4 1/4 1911 i had wasnt as comfortable in the same holster as the 5 inch was.. Also depends where you wear the holster and what kind of belt your using as to how much poke you get

I had the same trouble at one time. Try hiding it at around the 2:30 position, just forward of your hip. It might help you, both in the standing, and sitting positions. You can still get the gun into play if need be.

I've tried IWB for my Kimber 3 1/2" with the same result. I switched to a Milt Sparks OWB and the problem went away. Plus I get to wear all the pants that I already had. With IWB I had to get larger waist size to accomodate it. Bud's right on about the belt. Don't skimp there. Get one made for carrying a holster.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    try a bikini if you can carry OWB

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    It does happen on occasion. The shorter muzzle, holster location, holster style and design and other criteria all lead to comfort or lack there of. Ill bet its an Summer Special style wrap around style holster that puts the loops directly over the gun? Switch to a VM2/Com 3/Max Con V style and youll be amazed how much more comfy it it.
    Shoot well
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Assistant Administrator
    Do try a good tight fitting OWB belt slide - I am sure you can finish up with gun just as tight in but not then pressing uncomfortable on one spot.

By only real contact point from my SIG is an awareness of contact near my lower ribs from grips. Only me I know, but I just hate IWB!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    I like IWB but about the only gun I can carry comfortably IWB is a 1911 full or commander size. I know exactly what you mean about that glute muscle.

Quote Originally Posted by SOLOLUCKY
    OK, so i'm starting to carry my springfield armory 1911, micro-compact. (3" barrel)
    Was at the gun show and bought an IWB for it. seems most popular and a great concealer. Well, is it the nature of the short barrel? but that thing is a killer to wear. it pokes me in the top of the glute muscle. top of my hip/butt area.
    trying it at about 3:30. basically the straps straddle the belty loop on my jeans at that point. but it was a nighmare to carry all day yesterday.
    am i doing something wrong? makes me rethink the whole "easier to hide a smaller gun" theory. maybe the longer barrel woulda "laid" against me instead of this short barrel "poking" me!!

any thoughts?
    or is it the short barrel thats being a pain on my butt..figuratively and literally.
    Some folks seem to be able to wear the 3 inch guns comfortably in a "normal" inside the pants holster but the "poke" you're talking about seems to be fairly common with these short barreled pistols. Sitting alot seems to make it worse. I try to encourage customers to at least consider having the muzzle end of the holster extended and sewn closed. This, in my opinion, accomplishes a couple of things. It effectively tapers the muzzle more gradually so you feel less of the abrupt termination of the muzzle. And it makes the holster longer to get it along side of your glut instead of riding above the curve.

Check the EXTRACTOR! I had a Springfield Armory micro that was a POS with innumerable FTF's and FTE's. I'll never own another 1911 that has a barrel under 4 inches. I believe that the 1911 design becomes inherently flawed at sub commander length barrels. Jeff Cooper agrees and it made the lead item in his columns a few months ago. I mention it only as an aside. In my case, I found a faulty extractor, but it was too late. My carry gun is a tool that may someday save my life and or the lives of others. My confidence in the gun was "shot." Forgive the pun. I traded it for some cash and a Sig P245. I've never been happier with a compact. I do however crave a hi-cap 45ACP that's not a ParaOrdnance. So I'm going to soon acquire a standard sized H&K USP for that rold. 12 rounds is enough for me. Well, plus 3 more mags than come with the gun. My micro rode perfectly in a "Galco" Concealable holster; strong side hip at about 4:30 But if you're willing to go with 6rds to start with may I suggest the P245 Sig? It also accepts the std 8rd Sig P220 mags as well.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

OD*
    I have always found the full-size Gov't the easiest to carry, for the very reason you stated.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Howdy!
    I concur with Matt's post. He and I both make IWB's with closed muzzles for just the reason that you stated - it minimizes/eliminates muzzle "poke". For many folks, it is the only way to comfortably carry a 3" Micro, or similar sized pistol.
    You will also find that such a holster is much more stable in the belt and often carries closer to the body.
    Matt does nice work - I have no reservations in recommending his product.
    Of course (stand by for shameless commercial plug) I am kinda partial to my Max-Con V as well. :)
    I would suggest that you take a look around - there are a lot of good holstermakers out there, and we all make different products because people are all different. What works well for one guy, is a disaster for another. You may have to try a few different holsters before you find what works for you.
    BTW, if you try one of mine and don't like it - I'll swap you another holster for it, or give you a full refund. I don't want to have unsatisfied customers. Good luck!
    Last edited by Gary Brommeland; October 12th, 2005 at 09:50 PM.

Administrator

"I'm Mellllltingggggggg...ahhhhhhh!!"

That quote is from the Wicked Witch in The Wizard Of OZ

Hey...you can get your firearm SUPER~MELTED like this Custom Carry from CLARK.

I also had the problem of the muzzle end poking me. I find the Sparks ExC, which has a skirt, forms to my body, and corrects that problem. When it gets down to it an IWB will never be as comfortable as an OWB.

I generally wear my shirttail outside, and it covers an OWB holster. When that is not good enough I go to the ExC. Others make a similar model, but that is what I have and am entirely satisfied.

Jerry

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Here we go with the sub 4" bbls(4" must be a "magical" figure) and the "Gunners Guru" thang again. I feel it "my duty" to respond to that.At the age of ?? do we all believe that Mr. Cooper writes(or proof reads) all his"own"
    articals ?? How many manufacturers make a sub 4" gun? Why do they make them if they all are "inherently flawed"? --------- I have tried the IWB type rigs both for 5" and 3" bbl weapons. To me,it's all about how high the main part of the frame rides above the beltline. Also/and how far the muzzle sits below the beltline. To me, a shorter bbl'ed weapon with the correct "rise" in holster has just gotta be comfortable and easy to conceal. I mean,you just got less gun. You might have the right holster ACCEPT for the rise or lack of rise. Most of my friends carry IWB. Several carry(?) Beretta 92's and full size Glocks. They all have a drawer full of holsters. We need to start a holster rental buisness.(by the day)-----------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links