Reinforcing jeans, trousers

This is a discussion on Reinforcing jeans, trousers within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My gear is destroying my jeans. My flashlight is the worst, rubbing a hole in my jeans from the inside - out. My mag carrier ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reinforcing jeans, trousers

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar

Reinforcing jeans, trousers

My gear is destroying my jeans. My flashlight is the worst, rubbing a hole in my jeans from the inside - out. My mag carrier is holing the outside of my pockets and my holster is wearing my waistband.

I need ideas on reinforcing the wearpoints in my jeans. I can sew, but I don't want to have the patching threads showing on the outside.

For the light, I'm thinking about putting a Kevlar patch sewn at the top to the waistband to be covered by my belt and at the bottom inside the rear pocket.

For the holster, I'm thinking of folding a piece of Kevlar over the top where the holster connects and sewing it so that the holster contacts Kevlar, no denim.

The mag carrier seems to be more of a problem. I've temporarily remedied with a notepad but would like to do something permanent.

Any other thoughts?
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

2. Remove Ads

I've never carried irregular objects like magazines or flashlights in pockets. They're belt-mounted.
    Any angular object in a pocket will eventually cause wear-abrasion, the more quickly so if you sit on it.

An old-timey solution of some Western gunmen who liked pocket-carry of revolvers was to have specially made leather lined pockets, and this would obviously also work for protecting the insides of pockets from objects like mags, knives and flashlights, though the external pants cloth would still "whiten" from local pressure effects. It's really a lot easier to just mount paraphenalia on the belt and to wear something cover the belt, IMNSHO.
    Humani nihil alienum

I wear Carhartt jeans as much as possible, they have nice big pockets (and lots of them) and are double stitched everywhere it counts - double layered denim over the knees too. Like these:

Unfortunately they run about $40 a pair anywhere I can find them (I'm a cheapskate) but 3 or 4 pairs will last a long time.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

VIP Member
    Hummm...

I can see the light causing some wear but my Milt Sparks VM-II holster and magazine pouch... NEVER!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    My gear is destroying my jeans. My flashlight is the worst, rubbing a hole in my jeans from the inside - out. My mag carrier is holing the outside of my pockets and my holster is wearing my waistband.

I need ideas on reinforcing the wearpoints in my jeans. I can sew, but I don't want to have the patching threads showing on the outside.

For the light, I'm thinking about putting a Kevlar patch sewn at the top to the waistband to be covered by my belt and at the bottom inside the rear pocket.

For the holster, I'm thinking of folding a piece of Kevlar over the top where the holster connects and sewing it so that the holster contacts Kevlar, no denim.

The mag carrier seems to be more of a problem. I've temporarily remedied with a notepad but would like to do something permanent.

Any other thoughts?
    Let us know if you figure something out. I wear carharts regularly and manage to wear them out with my holster, Kershaw, and light. I wear my IWB holster at around 4 oclock and the jclip wears into the waistband. I also keep a modified inova x5 light in the side cargo pocket. It's not a normal cargo pocket though. It's about halfway down the thigh right near the seem and it's only about 2"wide X 6" deep so the INOVA fits perfectly. The only problem is the knurling on the cap wears through the pockets eventually. I also clip my kershaw to the same type of pocket on the other side. That pocket wears out too. I've gone through more jeans than I can think of and I don't buy lightweight jeans either. Usually all carhart and the heaviest weight I can find.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Agave...I'm guessing you use Kydex gear? I've never had an issue like that in the 30 years of carrying with quality leather holsters and pouches. Two or three pairs of those $40 jeans will pay for a new Sparks holster!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I wear everything on my belt or in my waistband...I've never had more than 'normal' wear. Not sure what is causlng your problem...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I wear a crossbreed holster 1/2 kydex 1/2 leather IWB I have no noticeable wear on my jeans,as far as a flashlight i carry it in a belt holder as far as mag pouch i have kydex and no wear points.if you sit on equipment it will wear through eventually,I can spot a skoal dipper a mile away if he's wearing old pants and i know which pocket his dips in
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

You ever try work dickies ? They make them in blue jeans too.

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    You ever try work dickies ? They make them in blue jeans too.
    Those are great too and very similar to the Carhartt's I mentioned above, I just prefer the Carhartt's because they have more pockets.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    I wear Levis or Lee jeans and have never had an issue with leather gear in over thiryt years. Only thing I have ever worn out is a belt loop or two, not the fabric. I could see kydex doing this but not leather.

Why not just simply buy some denim iron on patches and put them in the areas that you need to reinforce. The patches I've seen look like they have some sort of plastic mixed in with the denim.
    Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. ~ Robin Williams ~
    www.desbiensgunleather.com

Does Sears still make their "Toughskins" line? Just kidding.. I used to wear the Carharts with the double panels, while working in the woods. They are really durable.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhome View Post
    Why not just simply buy some denim iron on patches and put them in the areas that you need to reinforce. The patches I've seen look like they have some sort of plastic mixed in with the denim.
    I don't know why I never thought of iron-on patches. I may try that. Although, it would seem like just a temporary fix as they would wear through soon as well.

I wear my light IWB on a clip (similar to my knife). This is why it wears so. My holster is Kydex, but is not nearly as harsh as the aluminum light.

I'm thinking that I'm going to try something with the Kevlar. If I do, I'll make pictures.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Agave, I think you are seeing this from the wrong direction. The problem isn't with your jeans. It is with how you are carrying your gear. This is why others aren't having such bad problems. You really might want to reconsider changing your carry options.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links