4" 1911 OWB holster

This is a discussion on 4" 1911 OWB holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK. I mostly carry IWB and am very happy with my TT holster. I want a OWB but don't want to wait months for a ...

Thread: 4" 1911 OWB holster

4" 1911 OWB holster

OK. I mostly carry IWB and am very happy with my TT holster. I want a OWB but don't want to wait months for a custom one. What is the opinion of the Galco Concealable holster?

Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters

It's not cheap but not too expensive and most places have it in stock.
    -Biker

2. Remove Ads

As long as you keep in mind wht you are buying... ( a not custom, but nice holster) then Galco makes great stuff.

Their best isn't as good as most of the custom vendors you can find here... but they aren't trying for that.

As far as off-the-shelf holsters go; Galco is the only brand I buy.

But here's another idea for you... since 1911's are so common, may people build a few extra when their doing a run. Call around and see if anybody has one in stock. I got one for my 1911 from High Noon because I called and found out they had one sitting in stock - had it in my hands 72 hours after giving them my credit card info.

(also, you can take this as a positive feedback for HNH; they're great people making great products)

Quote Originally Posted by Fozzy Bear View Post

(also, you can take this as a positive feedback for HNH; they're great people making great products)
    +100 Give them a call first. A gun is meant to be more comforting ,less comfortable a good holster makes all the diff.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

VIP Member
    I'm very happy with the Galco Concealable... I have one for every CCW I own including my 3 - 4" 1911's!

$77.56 and free shipping here: Galco Concealable Belt Holster
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Mtbiker, Have you checked out TT Gunleathers new owb. Got the first one off the line for my 3" model 29 S&W. Love it so far and Tim really went the extra mile being the revolver having a 3" barrel. Took the pic's when I first got it. After pulling in the belt 1 more notch it rose and snugged up. Wore a long sleeve shirt with it on and no problem keeping it hidden. Once again I can highly recommend TT Gunleather for a great product with no long waits. I am Not a photo whiz. My pictures do not do this holster justice!

Roger

Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    I like the looks of the Galco Concealable. One that is similair is the Aker Flatsider. It has adjustable tension & is cheaper too. It has about the same cant (20 degrees) as the Galco. Aker FlatSider Another that I like is the Don Hume H721OT. It has a 15 degree cant. Don Hume H721 OT

See if you can round up an Alessi DOJ. It has no cant and that is how I like my belt holsters; I would wear the holster at 3 O'Clock and be a happy camper. Try this site: http://www.rfholsters.com/rfholsters...%5Fid=AH%2DDOJ

Regards,

Richard

Alessi DOJ:

Kramer belt scabbard

I have a Galco Concealable for a Glock 19 and never use it because it does not pull the gun into my side as tightly as other holsters I own. I believe the problem with the Galco is the flat back of the holster combined with a very large cant angle, which makes the rear of the gun's slide protrude out, away from the body so that it prints on the cover garment.

I have had much better luck with a holster that contours to the gun on both front and back sides of the holster, and employs a less severe cant angle than the Galco Concealable. Here is a Kramer belt scabbard for a 4 inch Kimber 1911 that does an admirable job of concealing the gun:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    My OWB for my EMP is a Galco Concealable, it fits snug, hides easily, allows for a fast access, and IMO looks as good as a lot of the speciality holsters out there and I didn't have to wait 6 months and pay $$$ for it.

“Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

Had a Galco Concealable. Leather is too soft and it will loose tension in due time. I prefer the Aker Flatsider. It's only available in a GM but I wear my 4" Kimber in it and love it. Has a tension screw on the trigger guard. I like it better than the Concealable. Mine was $40-45 at Copsplus.com.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Distinguished Member
    I have a Galco Concealable and I do like it , but like others have said it is soft at the mouth . If they made it with a reinforced mouth it would be worth the price , they cost all much as a custom , but will not last as long . If you decide to get it try optic planet , cheaper than buying through Galco
    Attached Images

I have a Galco OWB holster for my 1911 that looks just like the pics in the link, but I'm not entirely sure of the exact model. It sits on my hip very comfortably and conceals very well. I can sometimes put it under just a t-shirt. I suppose now that I think about it it is not the best for re holstering, but it has not given me too much grief.

But something I just noticed that looks pretty nice is a new Comp-Tac holster, it's OWB with leather backing. It's called the Gladiator:

Comp-Tac : Products
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

I liked my Galco Concealable Paddle Holster very much. I would have never thought that a paddle holster could ride that close to the body, and be so comfortable.'

BTW it was for a 3" 1911.

Sportsterguy that is one nice looking holster!
    "Nice grips, weird choice of etching" Rocky

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Thanks TerryD! I'm very fond of it myself. This is my second TT Gunleather holster and I am extremely pleased with each. Just waiting for Tim to get a mold for my new BHP and I'll be set for the time being. After shooting it today it may just become my next CCW.

Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Links