HELP: Any experience with these OWB holsters - narrowed it down to 3

This is a discussion on HELP: Any experience with these OWB holsters - narrowed it down to 3 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi guys - first time poster here. I bought a Kahr PM9 recently & picked up a pocket holster & it just seems huge - ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP: Any experience with these OWB holsters - narrowed it down to 3

Hi guys - first time poster here. I bought a Kahr PM9 recently & picked up a pocket holster & it just seems huge - just can't get comfortable with it in my pocket (feels like 4 blackberry phones taped together in my pocket). I guess its that I'm used to a 25 auto in a pocket holster - HUGE difference.

So, I'm going to go with a thumb break OWB holster. Narrowed it down to three ... I'd just really love to hear the pro's & con's from those that have any experience with them - it would really mean alot.

Thumb Break Mini Slide

DonHume.com - Product Details

KAHR ARMS ONLINE SHOP
    (the Mitch Rosen thumb break model)

Very much appreciated -

John

Of the three you've listed I'd go with the Mitch Rosen.

I have an "ARG" and a "Clipper" from Mitch and they are great. He's a little more, but his quality is better. His "junk" is somebody else's top of the line stuff.

Biker

I 2nd the Mitch
    I dont like DeSantis at all really & Mitch Rosen is a better quality leather than the Don.
    By the way congrats on the PM9, those are great little guns. My wife carries one & ill be honest i steal it sometimes to carry myself.......
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Glock 19 (3rd Gen)
    DiamondBack DB9
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    NRA Life Member

Administrator
    Well, I would pick the Rosen.
    The Hume honestly does not look bad either but, I think the M. Rosen will ride/carry better.

Is there a specific reason why you think you must have a thumb break because your firearm is not going to fall out of any of your three possible holster choices?
    So unless you really need a thumb break - buy a carry rig without one.

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Is there a specific reason why you think you must have a thumb break because your firearm is not going to fall out of any of your three possible holster choices?
    So unless you really need a thumb break - buy a carry rig without one.
    +1

I was thinking the same thing, just didn't say it. None of my Concealed Holster have a Thumb Break, only my Duty Holster.

Biker

Administrator
    Well, he can always buy one with the thumb break and then carefully trim it off if he eventually decides it's not such a desirable feature.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Well, he can always buy one with the thumb break and then carefully trim it off if he eventually decides it's not such a desirable feature.
    Why pay $$$ for a quality holster and then 'cut' off the top strap? Boo...OMO, of course...

Nix the thumb break, you will soon learn that that is not needed...

Buy the holster YOU think looks the best and be sure to make your first holster box...

Stay armed...no thumb break...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thanks guys ... concealment carry is fairly new to me - especially with a weapon that I have found is just too large for comfortable pocket carry. I think of the thumb break kind of as training wheels - deathly scared of it falling out when I'm bending over or in some awkward position. I will also carry it for alot of outdoors highly active activities too & it just seems like the added security would be welcome.

As for thumb straps ... are they all created equal, or are some of the manufacturers better than others ? Not sure what to even look for in a good thumb strap (BTW - this place is such a valuable resource - really value your input).

J

I agree that a thumb break is not desirable unless you are a LEO who has to use one in every day carry. However, if you choose to use one, then have it on all your holsters.
    I had never used one, but a friend gave me a custom holster for my Mak and it had a thumb break. I find that if I carry it, I forget to unsnap it.

I did decide to have a holster made with a thumb break for a M60 3 inch S&W. I found that the hammer and the thumb break did not get along. When I would draw the leather of the thumb break would catch the hammer. I wanted it for carry when in the outdoors, but I made a mistake. Leaving it unsnapped made it easier to draw without the hammer catching on the leather.

I suppose if I were climbing in rough terrain it might be useful if I fell hard, but otherwise it is a liability.
    A good custom holster will fit tightly enough so that there is essentially no danger of it falling out.

Regards,
    Jerry

Regards,
    Jerry

Administrator
    "deathly scared of it falling out when I'm bending over or in some awkward position.
    I will also carry it for alot of outdoors highly active activities too & it just seems like the added security would be welcome."

With any high quality leather holster you can pretty much put that notion to rest.
    That would be something to worry about with a "one size fits all" generic type carry rig.

Buy a good gun belt and a high quality holster and forget the retention strap.

"With any high quality leather holster you can pretty much put that notion to rest."

--especially in a MR!

Rosen - no thumb break

The Rosen is the best holster of the three that you mentioned, and I would also avoid the thumb break. You won't need the thumb break to hold the gun, as the fit of the Rosen will handle that, and the draw from a thumb break is slower.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I carried a Kahr P45 in the open top slide from Mitch Rosen. It is an excellent holster. If I were you I'd consider leaving the thumb break off.

Here is another holster very comparable to the ones you're looking. I've used these for berettas and Sigs and think very highly of them... the Galco Fletch,
    Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters

If money and time were not an issue - personally I would buy the Mitch Rosen. I do like, and carry a couple of Don Hume holster - I like the Open Top holsters.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Don humes are good for the money

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links