Full frame shoulder rig

This is a discussion on Full frame shoulder rig within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone have any experience carrying a full frame glock in a shoulder rig? Right now I carry a glock 31 in an OWB holster, ...

Thread: Full frame shoulder rig

Full frame shoulder rig

Does anyone have any experience carrying a full frame glock in a shoulder rig? Right now I carry a glock 31 in an OWB holster, but am thinking about switching to a shoulder rig with summer coming up. I am new to carrying, so I think I am still in the "everyone can see this" stage.

Any suggestions? I have been looking at the Lou Alessi "bodyguard" by the way....

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    "I have been looking at the Lou Alessi "bodyguard" by the way...."

The Alessi...That's like right up there tip top w/ the very best.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Yeah, not a bad price either, compared to the galcos and such

My ex-wife carried a G23 in an "Original Jackass" by Galco when she was pregnant, and I carry a 1911 in one almost daily while at home. I think the downward cant helps concealing full size guns. Although, concealment was not an issue with the wife, LEO. And I just wear it at home for comfort (once I get home, I change into lightweight basketball shorts or sweats in the winter).
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Andrews Leather Monarch.

I carry my G17 in a shoulder rig from time to time. The nice thing about them is they aren't much hassle once they're adjusted properly, and they're confortable and provide good access to your weapon when driving. They conceal acceptably under a sweatshirt or jacket, but you're always going to have the bulge under your left arm. You're not going to be able to take off your cover garment when you're wearing one, so you'll have to pick it carefully. And any time somebody like your wife or girlfriend sees you wearing it, they're going to tell you that you look like a cop ;-)

The first one I used was a Ross with the horizontal draw, that came from Sportsman's Warehouse. The holster itself was great, but the mag pouch was HUGE, rigid, and not very confortable. They also use a strap that goes across your low back, which I thought was worthless and removed right away.

The dealbreaker ended up being the shoulder straps; suede, thin, and they had a cinch adjustment. The cinches were large, and there was always a flap of extra strap hanging over them, which didn't do wonders for concealment.

I now use an Aker shoulder rig that I purchased from the gun shop where I took my permit class and bought my G17. The guy who runs it does a fair amount of business with the police, and he's not going to carry something that isn't practical. The Aker is basically a black Galco Miami Classic with wider shoulder straps, and I got it for $94. The holster, mag pouch, shoulder straps, and adjustment method are far better than the Ross rig, and I'm glad I switched.

I don't have any experience with the Alessi rig.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

Quote Originally Posted by packin45 View Post
    I don't have any experience with the Alessi rig.
    The Alessi is a great rig. The problem, as always, is that it'll take you a year or more to actually get one. I was able to score one off eBay by a miracle.

I have a Jackass for a G19. I'm not a big guy 5'9", 165lbs. I think I would have trouble with a G17 or a 31 in any horizontal shoulder rig.
    -Biker

Links