Odd but maybe a good idea on a Holster design, help needed.

This is a discussion on Odd but maybe a good idea on a Holster design, help needed. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For medical reason's i can't really carry IWB more then a few mins before pain sits in but pocket carry or OWB is fine except ...

Thread: Odd but maybe a good idea on a Holster design, help needed.

Odd but maybe a good idea on a Holster design, help needed.

For medical reason's i can't really carry IWB more then a few mins before pain sits in but pocket carry or OWB is fine except i would rather carry OWB which is the most comfortable for me.

The problem is ive noticed unless i carry a very small weapon (soon to be a owner of a P3aT) the bottom of the holster stick's out below my shirt. Not far mind you but just enough that ive been noticed twice. No law broken since open carry in my state is legal but enough i don't want the attention.

Here's the thought.

Since i wear blue jeans 100% of the time what would it take to refinsh the outside of a holster with the same material or make a holster out of that material? Or does someone sell one that i haven't found?

IMO that would basicly be hiding it in plain site since it may not be clean enough to fool someone staring at it close up but good enough for quick glances across the room or closer.

Becasue the black and the brown of the standard holsters stick out compared to the blue / white shade of blue jeans. And i figure one of close to the same color would blend in just enough to camoflage it.

Im thinking even one made up using the lighter shades of military style break up camo would work.

Personaly i don't care if someone sees it since the last person asked about it and didn't know you could even get a permit and inquired on how to get one which makes life that much safer IMO.

The casual looker wont notice a standard holster but a criminal or a anti-gun nut will look and find them and take away the element of suprise if needed.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Might work. I know one of the holster makers (can't think of who right now) started making their belt loops out of denim.

You might try UBG. He has a very high ride OWB, the Bonneville. He has some good pics on the gallery page.

beltholsters

gallery

Mark Garrity can help you, he made a holster awhile back with jean material covering leather.

Here is a link http://www.garritysgunleather.com/Denim3.jpg

I am sure he can help you but it may take him awhile.

What about contact cementing a patch of old jeans to the holster? You could even use rubber cement so you could replace it. Use "scotchgaurd" to help with it getting dirty. Just a thought.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

K&D Holsters now has available clips that are covered in denim. Unknown if they're doing any denim on the holsters themselves.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I sent Mark Garrity a email asking for a quote.

Hopefully he wont quote a large large price since if it's going to be too much i'll buy the cheapest belt or paddle holster i can find and form it on myself from a old set of blue jeans since im on a budget with the economy going nuts.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    I might have dreamed this, but can't you get denim material with an adhesive strip on the back? If not in Wal-Mart, maybe in a fabric store? That way, you could be sure of a match since you'll be wearing the jeans that are to be matched into the store, anyway.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

I looked at that and all i could find is a patch for jeans but it had to be heated on at a rate that would damage the holster and the material was a really really dark fabric that didnt match.

Mark and Kevin are very good at this process as they have found a " glue " that will not leach through the denim material so the application looks natural, at this point in time I would stick with either one of the two holster makers or you may want to do your own R&D which could be very time consuming.
    Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. ~ Robin Williams ~
    www.desbiensgunleather.com

You worry too much...IWB with a KelTec P-3AT will hide very well...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lead Moderator
    I considered the same at one point. However my jeans are different shades of blue or black. I just wear longer shirts.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Shannon Caldwell makes holsters covered in denim, or at least used to. He's a cop in Missouri who makes holsters on the side and sells them on ebay. He used to work for Rafter S, so he makes a decent rig for a very reasonable price. I got a holster, belt and mag pouches from him when I was on a tight budget and they're very good.

His seller name is mo.lakota and he's usually got a couple dozen items listed, plus he'll take special orders too. He's a real nice guy and easy to deal with. You should probably mention that you saw his name recommended on the forum so he doesn't think you're ebay trying to set him up for selling offline. I think he's had that problem before with them.

Of course, there's no doubt that Garrity's work is in a whole different league, but I understand he's got a serious backlog problem and he's also hard to get hold of, so if you're in a hurry I'm sure Caldwell would deliver much sooner. But hey, let us know what Garrity says. I've been thinking about ordering some exotic stuff from him and I'd like to know what kind of delivery time he's quoting now. Good luck.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

I would forget about Garrity as an option. Be sure to revisit that "Where's My Holster..." thread. He has been unresponsive to emails and seemed to have forgotten about his customers. I happen to be one of them. Though, I'd be interested to see if he gets back to one of you guys regarding the request.
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

Have you seen the blue jean pocket purses at craft fairs? They were quite popular about 2 years ago. To experiment, you could just make a version of this purse and put the distal tip of your holster IN the purse and attach the purse to your belt (straps on either side of your holster attachment would work well). This way the holster is hidden in the purse. but the purse would not be high enough up on the holster to interfere with drawing. And since it is not just a denim holster, it would certainly not look like a holster when your shirt rode up (it'd look more like an odd cell phone holder).

Send me the dimensions of your holster and I'll make you one.

Quote Originally Posted by N-frame Smith View Post
    Shannon Caldwell makes holsters covered in denim, or at least used to. He's a cop in Missouri who makes holsters on the side and sells them on ebay. He used to work for Rafter S, so he makes a decent rig for a very reasonable price. I got a holster, belt and mag pouches from him when I was on a tight budget and they're very good.

His seller name is mo.lakota and he's usually got a couple dozen items listed, plus he'll take special orders too. He's a real nice guy and easy to deal with. You should probably mention that you saw his name recommended on the forum so he doesn't think you're ebay trying to set him up for selling offline. I think he's had that problem before with them.

Of course, there's no doubt that Garrity's work is in a whole different league, but I understand he's got a serious backlog problem and he's also hard to get hold of, so if you're in a hurry I'm sure Caldwell would deliver much sooner. But hey, let us know what Garrity says. I've been thinking about ordering some exotic stuff from him and I'd like to know what kind of delivery time he's quoting now. Good luck.
    +1 for Shannon's holsters. He's a great guy and straight up to deal with. His holsters work pretty doggone well too.

rd
    "Little by little the look of the country changes because of the men we admire." Homer Bannon - Hud 1963
    Behind the Barn

Links