Belt Question

This is a discussion on Belt Question within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I recently got my LTC.....and I also purchased a Don Hume IWB H715 with clip. I am wanting to carrying my S&W SW40VE. I ...

Thread: Belt Question

Belt Question

So I recently got my LTC.....and I also purchased a Don Hume IWB H715 with clip. I am wanting to carrying my S&W SW40VE.

I hardly ever wore a belt before...they always seem to hurt my lower back.

I tried using the Hume holster with a regular belt to try and see what position might be the most comfortable. I know a gun belt is required, but I was just trying to get an idea of where I might like to carry.

Anyhow, it seems like between 5-6 is the most comfortable as far as sitting, standing, driving are concerned.
    But my lower back starts to hurt a bit from wearing the belt. I did have it cinched up quite tight to keep the holster in position.

Will a quality gun belt help with my back pain? I know it's hard to give/get advice over the net....but I was hoping maybe some of you could share your experiences/advice.

I was thinking of getting a belt from the Belt Man....but I am hesitant of spending the cash if I won't wear it because of discomfort.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

It should definitely help because the belt is going to support the gun more than it just kind of hanging there with a flimsy belt. Plus when you start to carry it does take a little getting used to also. You are adding more weight to your waist but you get used to it. I use a beltman and he makes very good belts, very nice looking and sturdy! I use mine with a full size 1911 and it works great.
    Glock 26 4gen, H&K USPc, S&W 642, Wilson Combat 1911 CQB

JRG
    I agree with Bowie's advice....my belt came from 5.11 Instructor belt, the point of a good belt is vertical stability and to 'hold the weight' of the firearm.
    It took me a couple of weeks to get use to the belt after about 20 years of rarely wearing one....get a good quality belt and you won't be sorry.

A quality belt will keep you from having to keep a flimsy belt so tight, so that should help.

If you absolutely cannot wear a belt, a smartcarry might be an option.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Thanks for the help....It looks as if a proper belt is in the future for me.

Thumbs up Original Instructor Belt

If you really want to see if a good gunbelt makes a difference and don't want to mortgage the ranch to do it, try The Original Instructor Belt, from Wilderness Tactical Products. The basic model is a 3 stitch design ($34.95), which has been around for 17yrs. It works great. The 5 stitch model ($39.95) is every bit as stiff and secure as the very best, double-ply leather belts. The best part, is that they are thinner than leather belts, so don't impose as much mass on the body. They will never be something you'd wear with a suit, but for casual wear, range sessions and competition, you can't beat them. I know several guys who dress casual for work and that's all they'll wear.

Wilderness is great to deal with and has incredibly fast turn around. Last week they actually made me a belt and shipped it same day.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

I had a similar problem with my belt. I was using a dickies belt for a while with my MK40. I then switched to a wilderness belt, but the only way that belt had any chance of carrying properly was to exhale and then tighten the belt until i could barely breathe. As long as I didn't pass out, the wilderness belt worked great, otherwise, it was worse than my walmart Dickies belt. Lots of people swear by the wilderness belt, I personally don't like it at all. I then discovered the Beltman. There is no way to describe how much of a difference a good quality leather belt makes.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaystekan View Post
    Lots of people swear by the wilderness belt, I personally don't like it at all.
    With all due respect, yours the very first post I've ever seen, anywhere, poo-poo'ing the Wilderness belt. And, I will certainly bear your experience in mind, the next time I suggest them.
    Conversely, this hasn't been my experience at all. I don't wear mine particularly tight, and they don't feel as tight as my four-times-the-price, custom leather gunbelts.
    Thankfully, for the one in a million crowd, there is always leather and not a thing wrong with it.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

Quote Originally Posted by Ping Ping View Post
    With all due respect, yours the very first post I've ever seen, anywhere, poo-poo'ing the Wilderness belt.
    I have seen a few, though, admittedly not many, other people who disliked the wilderness belt as well. To each his own I guess. I am not one of those everything must be leather guys, I have quite a few nylon and kydex accessories, so I am open to non-leather things. I wanted to like my wilderness belt. I am 5'10" 190lbs, 36" waist, maybe my measurements had something to do with it, maybe not, I don't know. I simply did not find the wilderness belt helped with my carrying in any way whatsoever and actually found my cheapo dickies belt to be better. I do love my beltman belt though. I personally can't and won't recommend the wilderness belt, I will however loudly and strongly recommend the beltman.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    My only complaint with the Wilderness (5 stitch) is that sometimes things move around because of the smoothness of it. Although, when I want things to move to a different location it comes in handy.

I ordered a horsehide Beltman yesterday. We'll see how it does. I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

The better the belt, the better the carry...a 'solid' belt will give the support needed to eventually forget your sidearm is even there (well, almost)...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I've been wearing cheap belts for year, and never had an issue, so I'm not sure about the back issues you've been having. Although I have to admit that since buying and wearing a belt from the Beltman - it's a night and day difference wearing a Beltman belt vs a regular store bought belt. I ordered my first belt shortly after receiving my permit to carry and can tell the difference so much that I bought another belt from the Beltman and I'm considering buying another sometime this year. Different color's and styles.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

I have the Wilderness, Beltman and a Milt Sparks belt. I will admit that besides having to many guns ( just kidding - you know thats not possible ) that I have to many belts and holsters. Anyway, I did have a few cheap belts up front that did not support my pistol correctly. I usually carry a government model 1911. I have found the Beltman, Sparks and Wilderness all do a great job of supporting my 1911's and are comfortable. I look at belts like shoes since I don't scrimp on having well made shoes for the right task. I might wear cowboy boots, dress shoes or hiking boots depending on the occasion but each pair is well made. The same goes for my belts. I wouldn't wear my Wilderness belt with dress slacks and a sport coat but love to wear it to a defensive pistol class where I will be getting dirty. Yeah I spent some dollars up front but guarantee you I won't have to buy another belt for a very long time to come.

Links