Defensive Carry banner

SIG P220 OWB Open Carry Holster

6K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  AgentX 
#1 ·
Well guys-

after going through several guns and refining my CCW list I am going to pick up a SIG P220 for open OWB carry here in the state of Virginia......

For what I think are obvious reasons I would like to pick up some kind of retention holster.....

Thumb break leather would be ok but I am interested in something I saw at a gun show a while back....it was a kydex OWB holster that had a "button" you pushed in where your trigger finder naturally lands to release your weapon the entire mechanism was internal (No strap over the rear of your gun).....seemed like a pretty slick set up to me, anyone know how makes something like this?

Any other info or input on OWB holster that are suited for open carry would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help guys......

Josh

#2 ·
With a Good leather holster You don't need a Retention device.
Check out the Slide Guard from High Noon It's molded Tight And draws Easy. If you don't want it out it's not coming Out.

Close Up Slide Guard Black

#3 ·
Thumb break leather would be ok but I am interested in something I saw at a gun show a while back....it was a kydex OWB holster that had a "button" you pushed in where your trigger finder naturally lands to release your weapon the entire mechanism was internal (No strap over the rear of your gun).....seemed like a pretty slick set up to me, anyone know how makes something like this?
Josh
That would be the Blackhawk SERPA holster.

#9 ·
I agree with Captain Crunch.

Personally, I prefer leather, and Don Hume makes a great inexpensive holster - check out H721 O.T.: Open Top

#4 ·
RSR Defense also makes one for the 220 but, I'd prolly stick with the BlackHawk...since I've never actually seen or handled a RSR. Just presented as a FYI. Also looks like they are paddle only.
Here is their web site.
RSR Defense - Home

I just noticed them recently being sold on Ebay by a seller from Israel. Price is $20.00+ Some Spare Change & $9.00 Shipping

#5 ·
Get leather not plastic... it'll fit closer to your body and it's much kinder to your weapon.

I use a Galco Concealable and like it a lot. Anything Milt Sparks makes is better than nice! Also, the Kramer Belt Scabbard is another very good choice. You might check out UBG Holsters... that guy is good too! :hand10:

#7 ·
I saw at a gun show a while back....it was a kydex OWB holster that had a "button" you pushed in where your trigger finder naturally lands to release your weapon the entire mechanism was internal
I might be bias as I prefer leather -- albeit I own some plastic. If you want "retention" just to keep from dropping the weapon, I'm not so sure it is needed. OTOH, if it is to keep a BG from grabbing and pulling your weapon, you might want to look at some of the "Triple Retention" rigs used by LEOs.

The "where your trigger finder naturally lands" bothers me on some I've seen.

IMHO, I don't want to be pressing down with my trigger finger too close to where the trigger will be when the trigger and trigger guard clears the holster. With RSR Defense & BlackHawk the "button" is well above the trigger.

#8 ·
De Santis is reasonable. This one has a tension adjustment.

I do have a couple of worthy belts now since this pic was taken.

#10 ·
The SERPA is dangerous on a level and stupid on another.

It's led to negligent discharges from (trained) people actuating the release while drawing, and their fingers entering the trigger guard as the gun clears the holster. (See DaveH's logical conclusion above...)

It's stupid to have a holster where dirt/tiny rocks can jam the mechanism and make it impossible to draw.

I do understand your desire for retention on an openly-carried pistol, however. I save open-tops for CCW only (and they're all I use for it).

I recommend the Safariland 6004-type holster for open carry; seen them dragged through hell and they've never failed to operate. They make a belt model which might fit your wants/needs. Any basic leather thumb-break holster isn't a bad idea, either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.